Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 14 of 56)

Aug 242011

2006 Chevy Cobalt- had original recall on electric steering done. Now 2 dealers can't figure out what is wring with the car, but suspect the steering module is out. Driving you lose power steering, just as before. Scan shows 19 codes all associated with the steering. My car and a friend with the same vehicle have experienced this.

- Buckner, MO, USA

Jul 282011

The power steering in my '06 Chevy Cobalt suddenly died, and continues to die every time I turn on the car. The car was working perfectly fine beforehand. This is a recent problem for me but after a few minutes of research I see that many, many people are having a similar issue with their '05-'07 Cobalts.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Aug 042011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt when I was driving to my parents house I had no control of the power steering I slightly hit the fence. I did take my car to the dealer because of the recall and had the power steering motor replaced however the problem persist and it turns out its the power steering column. Isn't it suppose to be a recall for the entire power steering.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jul 282010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering feature would malfunction. The vehicle would down shift and the steering would become difficult. The contact also stated that he received the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where the electronic power steering motor was replaced, but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer on three occasions where they were unable to remedy the failure. The dealer stated that they could not identify the failure because they could not duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Dalpariso, IN, USA

Jul 292011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 30 mph the electronic door locks began to open and close erratically. The steering wheel became stiff making it difficult to control the vehicle. The contact stated the power steering failed and the steering wheel needed excessive effort to turn the steering wheel while driving. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to her residence. There were warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel but the contact was unaware of which ones illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted to verify if the VIN was included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Jul 142011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The power steering went out in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ltz while driving down the highway on the way home from work.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 282011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I just bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L. Two weeks ago I had to take it into a dealer for power steering issues. There is a recall open on it so they replaced the power steering motor. Now, just two weeks after fixing it, I turn my car on and there's no power steering again. I have already had it in once to fix this and it's still causing me problems. I work two jobs and don't have the money to be fixing this car repeatedly. I traded in a 1997 skylark for this 2006 Cobalt wanting a newer, less to repair car. I ended up with a piece of junk that I'm still 2 yrs away from paying off.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 232011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I had steering motor replaced in 11/2010 after receiving recall notice. A few days ago I got into my car and the steering wheel was locked and the car would not start. I tried again and it started, but the car would jerk slightly when the car changed gears. Slowed to a stop and the steering wheel completely locked and I could not move it. Turned car off then back on a moment later. Continued to drive aprox. 20 miles, then when slowed to turn into a parking spot, the car completely shut down on me, steering wheel locked. Took the car into the dealership that did the recall---they cannot locate the problem or give me any answers on how to actually repair car. Won't acknowledge there is any problem with the steering motor that was replaced and insist it is a different issue, and thus, not their responsibility to repair free of charge. I have asked dealership to contact GM's tech support and they are reluctant to do anything for me thus far.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevy Cobalt steering column is falling apart and making all kinds of clunking noises while driving, Chevy already replaced the power steering motor because of a recall but refuses to do anything about the actual steering column which is falling apart and destined for failure with less than 80,000 miles

- Eldred, PA, USA

Jun 062011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated with a loss of power steering. The steering wheel immediately became difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven to the side of the road and then towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 34,265. The VIN was unavailable.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Mar 152011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The power steering light comes on and goes out. When the car is turned off and on again, it works for moments before it cuts off again. This makes it very hard to drive the car and increases the changes of crashes.

- Hot Springs National Park, AR, USA

Jun 212010

Had to replaced worn out bearing on front wheel early in vehicle's life.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 042011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering failed causing the steering to be hard to maneuver. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 41,088.

- Burlington, NC, USA

May 082011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the power steering failed and a power steering light began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was pulled over and shut off. Upon restart the vehicle operated as normal. After driving for approximately 5 miles the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 192011

Cobalt 4-cyl

My Chevrolet Cobalt 2006 has a steering column problem. It makes noises, like a rattle and I bought the car on 03/16/2011, used and since the first week after precarious I've taken the car to get fix every day except for saturdays and still can not get it fix. It also shakes violently at times and its very, very scary.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Apr 102011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph, when the traction control, ABS and emissions warning lights illuminated. Suddenly, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the speedometer began fluctuating between 50 and 70 mp. In addition, the fuel level gauge began to fluctuate between one quarter tank to three quarters. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that the failure was caused by the body control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Mar 152011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving home and lost power to the steering wheel and I was unable to turn the steering wheel left or right. Very stiff and pulled off to the side of the road. I called roadside assistance to come get me, after waiting 20 minutes, I turned it back on and the wheel was free to move again. This occured a second time last week when I started my car in the morning. I turned it off and on several times and finally it worked. The car is very unsafe and I was afraid to drive it as it may happen again going a faster speed. Currently the car is now at the shop looking at the power steering mechanism that is bad. It is a recall and already replaced and is bad again. This is a serious problem where the car can stop working at anytime which gives you no control over the vehicle.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Jan 012006

Cobalt 4WD 4-cyl

I am requesting that dot NHTSA investigate the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt intermediate steering shaft (part# 10394225) safety problem. This problem occurs when I am accelerating, decelerating, coasting (neutral), and braking. When I turn the steering wheel back and forth it makes a "clunking" noise giving me the notion that there is indeed something in the steering function that is broken. There have been numerous occasions upon accelerating where the steering wheel has overpowered my grip on the steering wheel causing my car to steer very hard to the left almost causing collision with other cars. The loss of control on steering is even worse upon low speed braking; the wheels have in the past turned at a 45 degree angle. Again, this has almost caused a number of collisions at stop lights where there are 2 or more lanes, or there is a turning lane. It is only a matter of time before irreparable damage is done. Cobalts have been known to replace this part 2-3 times over the course of 5 years in operation. So far no action to replace the part has been done on my part. Currently there is a technical service bulletin for the problem but there is no recall. There are significant amounts of testimonies and evidence that there is a serious safety problem here and I wish you to formally investigate. There is no incident report yet, disregard incident date.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Feb 052011

Our 2006 Chevy Cobalt has issues with the powersteering. It malfunctions often but with no apparent trigger. The warning system is not reliable because it doesn't always give warning of the failure, and sometimes it dings and no failure occurs. When malfunctioning the steering is extremely difficult to use. A great amount of force is required to turn the steering wheel. The problem may occur at any time and at any speed. Then when the steering is locked it often frees up spontaneously! this is very dangerous!!! this is my second complaint. We purchased our 2006 Chevy Cobalt new and at about 23K miles we began to have problems with the power steering. The power steering assist motor has been replaced several times and the column was also replaced. We just had the psa motor replaced through the recall for the second time. Our particular car was not even listed in the recall but the dealership did the repairs because of our longterm issue. I believe there must be some other part causing the problem (sporadic and unreliable steering) because the psa motor has been replaced several times but the problem continues to reoccur. Now our car has high mileage and GM is unwilling to "do" anything to make this right. We have been paying for this defective and dangerous car for 4 years now and the problem has still not been resolved! I'm afraid this issue will cause serious injury or death, it must be fixed! this defective product is a hazard to all people on the road. The 'new' psa motor does not work any better then the original part.

- Huggins, MO, USA

Feb 152006

When turning sharp right in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls 4dr, there is a loud, metal rubbing sound coming from the passenger side wheel well, as if steering is hitting something underneath. Only happens when turn is sharp, such as a U-turn or coming out from an alley, driveway, etc.

- Chicago, IL, USA