Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 39 of 56)

Jun 112009

I'm driving the car and randomly the power steering flashes on the screen and my power steering stops working. Turn the car off and back on and the issue goes away to return at random intervals. Appeared to be worse the hotter it is outside. When it started to get cold I realized it was doing the same thing. With the icy conditions it is extremely unsafe for my steering to go out while im driving.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Dec 062009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While exiting the highway at 50 mph the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and the steering motor was replaced. The current and failure mileages were 89000.

- Still Water, MN, USA

Nov 282009

We have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, my daughter has been driving it and the power steering light keeps coming on and off, she will be driving and all of a sudden the power steering is out. This is going to cause her to have a major accident.

- Midlothian , TX, USA

Nov 182009

Chevy Cobalt 2006 power steering fail in MA car very danger, please may investigation. Before somebody dies in this car.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dec 072009

The power steering on my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt locked up with no warning and my car went off the road onto some grass. The steering wheel would not turn one way or the other until the car was turned off and restarted. I was only going 35 mph at the time the steering did this, or what happened could have been much worse.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Dec 072009

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt. The power steering warning keeps flashing while I turn my car on and while I drive. My steering locks up and lets me not turn at an easy rate. It is very tough to drive like this. It is a concern to me, I don't want to risk my life driving this vehicle. Please do something. I've read other people having this problem, and I think it needs to be dealt with.

- Greencastle, PA, USA

Dec 072009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 65 mph the power steering light illuminated on the dashboard and then the power steering failed. The steering column was replaced one year ago. The contact has not taken the vehicle back to the dealer. The contact stated that this is a major safety issue that could result in someone losing their life. The current and failure mileage were 102,000.

- Thayne, WY, USA

Dec 072009

I have lost power steering in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. It is dangerous and nothing has been done. How is it that GM is not taking responsibility over this safety hazard, but they are suing the company that made these electrical power steering? detroit General Motors co. Has sued a supplier, saying it has spent more than $30 million fixing problems in the steering systems of the Chevrolet Cobalt, its best-selling small car, and other vehicles. GM said customers have complained about unusual rattles, "clunks" and other noises. It pinpointed the flaw to "excessive gear backlash, " which causes problems in the steering column under certain driving conditions. The lawsuit names jtekt North America Inc., based in Plymouth, mich., and an affiliated company, jtekt automotive Virginia Inc. Of daleville, va. GM said it wants to be paid for replacing thousands of parts under customer warranty claims on the Cobalt, pursuit, G5, HHR and other cars, starting with 2005 model year. By fall, the cost had exceeded $30 million, and "GM's damages are expected to continue to increase as additional warranty claims are made, " the automaker's lawsuit said. "jtekt contends the components all met the specifications and testing requirements that GM gave it, " said bob haddad, a lawyer for the supplier. "the issues do not affect the operator's ability to control the vehicle. This is a noise issue." Changes were made at GM's request, and jtekt continues to provide steering assemblies, haddad said Monday. The steering systems are in tens of thousands of GM cars. Court papers do not indicate whether the company considers this a safety issue. A GM spokesman, alan adler, had no immediate comment. The lawsuit was filed in August in macomb county circuit court, amended there in October and moved Nov. 17 to federal court in detroit.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Dec 062009

I have a 2006 Cobalt ss. It has 85000 miles on it and when driving it from Florida to Virginia my power steering shut off 5 times and everytime I stopped the car and turned it back on the problem went away but randomly returned this is a serious issue as I thought my car was going to swerve off the highway. Thanks

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 302009

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt that I brought 2 years ago. I have had many problems with the power steering in my car. There have been many incidents when I am driving that my power steering will go out. While I am driving the car will shut off and it will jump. I have taken the car to the mechanic on several occasions where they tell me they can not find anything wrong. I have found that if the car sits for about two weeks or more then the computer will reset itself. Just recently the power steering went up in the car while I was driving home and the speedometer starting jumping around and I could not tell how fast I was driving and if I went under a 40 mph the car would jump and shut off if I had to stop. Now the car's power steering has gone up again and I can't turn the wheel at all. I have found that if I drive the car for a hour or more straight on the beltway then I have the most problems with the power steering unit. Most recently the problem has been occurring ever two weeks and I am unable to drive the car until it resets (if it resets).

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Nov 202009

I have A2006 Cobalt ltzand the power steering keeps going out when I drive down the road, also I have a very bad shaking problem with it, also I have noise coming from back of the car.............please help, I have went to the dealership, and they want to charge me a outrageous price to fix it.....this is a very dangerous problem..................eugene offenberger.........

- Marietta, OH, USA

Aug 212009

I have 06' Chevy Cobalt ls and the power steering is gone. The power steering light come on everytime I turn the car on and drive away. I'm taking a big risk every time I get behind the wheel but have no choice right now.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Nov 162009

I have a 2006 Cobalt ltz, and the power steering keeps going out when, I drive down the road, also I have shaking and noise, and I had my grandchild in the car, and the power steering went out which could have had a wreck...this is a very bad problem, also I have shaking and noise, when I drive down the road...........please help!!

- Marietta, OH, USA

Sep 012009

I bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt about six months ago. Three months after I bought it the power steering began to go out. It does not take power steering fluid there is a ps motor in the steering column. Everyt time I drive my car it goes out, it is not just every once and a while. When I restart my car the power steering will come back on. But within 100 yards it will go out again. The first time it went out I was going around a sharp curve and I nearly lost control of the car. The car behind me had to slam on there breaks because I started to fishtail. This is a major safety issue for me and other drivers and something really needs to be done about it. There is page after page of people who have the same problem. It seems to me that with so many people having this problem that there would be a recall on it. Obviously something was done wrong. It is dangerous and basically every time I get into my car I am risking my life. Its not worth it and you guys being a safety administration should really look into it.

- Bloomfield, KY, USA

Nov 252009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 45 mph he noticed that the power steering light was illuminated on the dashboard. Within a few minutes, the contact lost complete power steering. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 105,230. Updated 03/12/10. The consumer believed the problem was with the PCM. Updated 09/21/10

- Bonifay, FL, USA

Dec 012009

Yesterday I was driving with my wife in our 2006 Chevy Cobalt and without any warning the power steering failed in the middle of a turn. I had to pull with everything I had to keep from hitting a car in the other lane on the road I was turning onto. Luckily I was driving, I don't think the ending would have been as pleasant if my wife was behind the wheel. Keep in mind that the power steering fails all of the sudden, we have had nothing but problems with this car, and my wife just reminded me that we had the steering column replaced once because of a vibration. Please push for a recall on this vehicle, we cannot afford to fix GM's poor engineering mistake. Thank you

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 292009

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt car has just 40K miles. The dash board began to show "power steering" warning. And then the steering power is lost. I searched online and found many complains on such problem for Chevy Cobalt.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Aug 052009

I was making a U turn the first time my power steering went out, I thought I was out of gas or something so I turned the key to off and restarted the car, it was fine for a while maybe 20 min. And then it went out on me again going around a corner then I realized it was my power steering that's when I found out it was completely comes and goes as it pleases now!!!!! (this is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt !!!!!!!!!!!! )

- Cottonwood, CA, USA

Oct 312009

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and the power steering has completely gone. Its 1000 dollars to fix it and I am having constant problems with this car.

- Charlton , MA, USA

Nov 052009

On more than one occasion the steering has stopped working. Its intermittent and unpredictable and can happen at any speed.

- Calhoun, GA, USA