CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 42 of 49)

Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt, power steering keeps going out.

- Fieldale, VA, USA

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, 77,000 miles words powersteering lit up on dash and I was unable to steer car while moving. No consequences on block from my house but it is not a fluid system. This is not preventable and I viewed one report with over 375 complaints of the same problem with 2005 - 2008 Cobalts. This needs to be recalled if this is a steering column problem with such prevalence. I travel quite a distance to work. What if I had been on the interstate as usual?

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 042009

Cobalt

Chevrolet Cobalt's power steering disables the car, while in operation! the brakes disengage and transmission shakes violently.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Cobalt

1. we were driving and a light came on that said that there was a problem with the power steering. 2. it happens within several seconds of starting the car, that the power steering fails. 3. went to the Chevy dealership and they said that there is a shortage in the power steering box and that I would have to replace it and it would cost $1,000.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Aug 012009

Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt-power steering pump goes out unexpectedly. After researching many databases, seems this is a severe problem with this model car and this particular style of electric power steering pump that GM utilizes. GM continues to ignore the consumer regarding this problem without issuing recalls or safety messages.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 302008

Cobalt

While traveling at highway speeds, approximately 40 mph a message appears in the message center in my dash indicating the power steering has gone out. I feel no difference in steering, but when the car switches gears (it is an automatic ) it is very rough and almost dies. It occurs randomly and has happened twice this week local repair shop couldn't find any problem.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 302009

Cobalt

My power steering went out on my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. I was on the expressway and it went out. If I pull over and turn the car off, let it sit, turn back on, it will work fine for a random period of time before it goes out again. I almost got into an accident. Now it keeps going out. I did some online research and found that hundreds and hundreds of people are having this problem. This is a very dangerous problem.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jul 172009

Cobalt

Electric power assist system went off while driving after a few minutes. The problem repeats at random intervals.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 281992

Cobalt

Power steering failure. Electrical system failure.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 062008

Cobalt

At 50,000 miles or so the power steering failed, it no longer works. I heard this is a common problem with the Chevrolet Cobalt. GM will not fix this problem now because my car is no longer under warranty.

- Compton, CA, USA

Jul 282009

Cobalt

While driving my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, the power steering message would appear on the led screen and the power steering would fail, reverting back to manual steering. Fortunately, I was able to control the vehicle and avoid driving underneath a tractor trailer, but others may not be as fortunate. I read several hundred postings on a website last night with other people experiencing the same problems. GM will not acknowledge that there is a problem with the vehicles steering, or potentially a defect prompting a recall. Once you turn the car off and restart it, the power steering works again and then the problem will repeat itself again sometimes within seconds of several minutes. This has been occurring for 3 days now and getting worse. I am waiting to take the vehicle to a GM dealer for evaluation, and I'm already being told that this is a non-covered warranty problem, costing around $2,000 to fix.

- Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Jul 172009

Cobalt

Power steering comes on and off in my car. Stays off mostly when driving it but comes back on for a brief minute after restarting the engine before going back off again. I have filed a complaint to GM corporation who did nothing about the problem despite it being a safety issue. There is a service bulletin active from GM about the steering issue as I was shown by another mechanic.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jul 262009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt that is under 40000 miles. The power steering message comes on and the I lose control of the vehicle not being able to turn the wheel. This does not happen while I am at a stop it happens while I am driving in traffic. When I turn the car off it will work fine for a while and then I lose the power steering again. I took it to the mechanic and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong, but as soon I had left it started it again. I went back to the mechanic and they said that I need to replace the steering column and that will cost over $700. I have only had this car for 3 years and have kept up on all routine maintenance. This is ?!@#$%!!! I looked online and there are numerous people who have had the same complaints about this car. And as usual my warranty was just expired. This car is dangerous and I can no longer feel safe driving on the road.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jul 252009

Cobalt

Power steering warning light comes on while driving, power steering immediately stops working, once you turn the car off it resets but no more then 5 minutes and it fails again! I luckily have not had an accident yet while this occurs but there is definitely potential for one, I brought the car to the dealer and they want to charge me over 800 dollars to replace the steering column, which I've heard is not the problem.

- Lancaster , CA, USA

Mar 102008

Cobalt

Well my power steering worked for a while when I bought it, but one day I was getting on the interstate and all of a sudden my power steering icon came on and it got very hard to steer so I pull over and turn the car off turn it back on and it worked fine. A few days pass and it happens again so I turn it off and bout 30 minutes later it happens again. Now my power steering only works bout 4 seconds long enough for me to restart my car to make a U-turn.

- Cleveland , TN, USA

Jul 162008

Cobalt

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt. It runs off of a electronic power steering system which differs from the typical hydraulic power steering fluid system. Every time I start the car then rotate the steering wheel to back out of my drive way my power steering shuts down. The first time it happened I was driving down the interstate to orlando and it locked up. This problem can be fatal if someone who is driving is not prepared or cannot drive a car without power steering. I have read thousands upon thousand of Chevy Cobalt drivers having this same issues and all General Motors is telling us to do is take it to a dealership which then gets followed up by a nice $2000+ bill. If this problem does not get corrected I am almost certain that deaths could result from this problem. Going down the road and power steering locks up with a turn coming up means a horrific car accident will ensue not only for the driver of the impaired vehicle but others on the road as well. I am awaiting a reply back from an attorney im speaking with this concerning any lemon law issues in the state of Florida and I would hope that the NHTSA is looking into this matter. I know I am not the only one with this issue and it appears in Saturn ions as well. The problem seems to occur from vehicles years from 2005-2007 the most as I have not fully looked into the 2008's yet. NHTSA please assist us!!! I do not want to be one or see a motorist on the road lose power steering a life gets lost due to the power steering failing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 282009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at any speed, the contact noticed that the power steering failed. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 74,291.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012009

Cobalt

I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt that I purchased in November of 2006. Recently the power steering has been going out while I'm driving down the road. The only way to make it stop is to stop the car and turn it off. It has done it several times in the past two weeks and is very dangerous. I have read several other cases with the same issues and this should be a recall.

- Charlestown, IN, USA

Jun 222009

Cobalt

I was driving my car back home when the power steering failed(almost crashed). I was able to drive but the car was very hard to steer. I got the car diagnosed and the steering column got replaced.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 052009

Cobalt

I was driving my 2006 Cobalt on 95 South and I experienced loss of power steering which made the steering wheel locked up and become extremely difficult to do anything with. Within a week of the first incident this started to happen every couple of miles and the only way to regain the power steering is to pull off to the side of the road and restart the car. It got so bad within a week it was very dangerous to drive and I could not even pull out of my apartment complex without loosing the power steering and started to occur every couple of miles I drove the car. From the first time I experienced power steering loss until a got it fixed was about one week long and this happened at least 20 or more times. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they said I needed to replace the steering column because there was a internal short in column motor module and have a four wheel alignment which cost me $966.95 to fix and I had to pay the money to fix the problem because the car was way to dangerous to drive with out fixing this problem. I travel on major highways with my job and this dangerous safety defect left me in almost serious accidents and I was pulled over on the interstate 95, pa turnpike, 76, and 495 in Delaware state dealing with this hazard. This problem is a serious safety danger not only to me but every other person on the highway which is not fair to them.

- Wilmington, DE, USA