CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt suspension problems

suspension problem

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer states issues with power steering in April 2010, the consumer received a letter stating there was a safety recall on the power steering motor and when the part arrived, it would be fixed free of charge. The consumer went to the dealer and the recalled part was replaced. However, it also caused the transmission to slip and hard braking whenever the power steering message appeared. The consumer informed the dealer of the problem and the dealer stated it had nothing to do with the recall. The consumer returned to the dealer again. The dealer claimed the problem was the control arm bushing. The dealer replaced an im insulator, link, loose sway bar bushing and the steering gear. The consumer stated she continued to experience the same problems with the transmission, and the vehicle loosing power. The consumer returned to the dealer and the mechanic stated the vehicle had an electrical problem.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Out of the blue my vehicle began to shimmy & shake. At first I thought it may be the wheel alignment. According to the dealershing my front arm bushing needs to be replaced. Now the car is squeaking when you turn the wheel to. Got a 2nd estimate: The bushing, swaybar link, & steering & suspension need to be replaced. What the heck? after I just had to have the ignition coil replaced. It burned out the 1st one I put in plus brand new spark plugs. This is ridiculous.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

May 232011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Took my 2006 Cobalt in to have recall fixed and was told that my struts are leaking and the lower control arm bushings need to be replaced.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Aug 032009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated when driving at any speed and turning the steering wheel to the right, there was an unusual cracking noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the power assist motor was replaced yet the failure persisted. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 51,000. Updated 10/26/10. The left front strut was leaking oil and the steering column was replaced. Updated 10/26/10

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Mar 122010

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer states steering and front end problems. The consumer stated the vehicle has been to the repair shop 3 times for front end problems. The coil pack and module had to be replaced. The shift lever failed and would not release the key when the engine was turned off.

- Greenville, PA, USA

Nov 202009

Cobalt

I have A2006 Cobalt ltzand the power steering keeps going out when I drive down the road, also I have a very bad shaking problem with it, also I have noise coming from back of the car.............please help, I have went to the dealership, and they want to charge me a outrageous price to fix it.....this is a very dangerous problem..................eugene offenberger.........

- Marietta, OH, USA

Aug 052009

Cobalt

I was making a U turn the first time my power steering went out, I thought I was out of gas or something so I turned the key to off and restarted the car, it was fine for a while maybe 20 min. And then it went out on me again going around a corner then I realized it was my power steering that's when I found out it was completely electronic.it comes and goes as it pleases now!!!!! (this is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt !!!!!!!!!!!! )

- Cottonwood, CA, USA

Sep 072009

Cobalt

While turning or sloxwng down my car shakes violently and pulls to the left. I recently put new tires, alignment and rotation thinking this would solve the problem and it has not. It feels as though my steering wheel is going to shake off. The dealership suggested the new tires and it has not helped. This is a huge safety concern and something needs to be done.

- Waterford, CT, USA

Jun 092008

Cobalt 4-cyl

1) when purchasing this used vehicle from the dealer, we were informed the previous owner had broken his key in the ignition switch, hence the broken ignition lock mechanism. Lie 2) car began making a front end noise or so I thought, the next day as my daughter in law and my grandkids were driving home the power steering indicator light turned on, she applied her brakes to slow down and all the lights on the panel turned on and her steering locked. The truck behind us was forced off the road to avoid slamming in to us. After getting online to see if there was going to be an easy and inexpensive way to repair this problem I was appalled to read all the complaint regarding these same issues. I lost my oldest child to faulty seat belts on the 01 Ford Ranger edge. This is indeed a safety issued that needs to be resolved immediately before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Sep 302006

Cobalt 4-cyl

Knocking noises in the suspension. Rattling in the steering.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 012007

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt shakes real bad when driving. Customer stated that he had the vehicle get a front end alignment twice and after a while the vehicle begins to start shaking again. The consumer stated the steering jammed and he was unable to remove the key from the ignition. Switch. The tumbler was replaced.

- Walls, MS, USA

Aug 052006

Cobalt

2006 Cobalt had vibrations at highway speeds. Customer states if they stop and turn the vehicle off and on it will temporarily correct the vibration problem. The consumer stated since purchasing the vehicle, the vehicle has had an extreme vibration at high speed. The consumer stated the vehicle has become so dangerous and hard to drive that at times he would have to pull over to the shoulder. The consumer stated after several attempts to assess the problem balancing the tires and replacing 2 of the 4 tires, he was informed by dealer the rotors were out of round and left tire was worn. The consumer stated due to the fact the 2 Chevrolet dealers were given ample time to assess the problem, he feels this should fall under the lemon law of a refund or a replacement car. New tires were placed on the vehicle and balanced.

- Delmar, NY, USA