2003 Ford Crown Victoria lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Crown Victoria:

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 102013

Crown Victoria

This was the second time my lights went out and wouldn't come back on. I had to drive home from the er after my dad was admitted holding my high beams on. Very dangerous. Then they went out again this morning on the way to work I leave at 230 am and again I held my high beams on to drive to work. I called Ford they noted my complaint. Yea no help!!!!!

- Ambridge, PA, USA

Jul 022013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Last Tuesday, I drove from san jose back to orange county at 9:00pm and when I drove on 152 East freeway around 9:30pm-10pm suddenly my headlight turn off at the curve that make me almost fall down the hill. I'm really scare and my wife had been crying because there is no street light and I turn my car follow the reflect things on the road to keep my car on driving right then brake and pull over on the side of the hill. After that happened I do some research and find out so many Ford Crown Victoria have this defect I wonder why the Ford company look the people life is cheap like that, they support to know this issue and have to recall to fix this problem. There is some one, some law protect us by that, please advise me what should I do with that. There is no problem to fix this issue but the things is very expensive and the Ford have no right to this to me and my family. My car is 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX, my suggestion is whoever own the Crown Victoria should sign the law suit to sue them if not one day you, your wife and your kids will fall out of the mountain then it's too late.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Apr 122013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Driving along interstate when headlamps went off. Apparently this is a known issue with several reports both to NHTSA and misc online sources. Other lights work as expected. Headlamps work sometimes and sometimes not. Clearly this is a safety issue that could have a potentially devastating result.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 122013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds during night hours, the headlights intermittently failed. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 140,000. The dealer recommended replacing the lighting control module at a cost of$ 500 plus labor. Updated 04/24/13

- Alachua, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Headlights failed for the second time on this vehicle!!! ran off road in pitch dark.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Oct 152012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the headlights failed and would not re-illuminate. The contact had to leave the vehicle sitting overnight and the following day, the lights still would not illuminate. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 95,343. Updated 11/29/12 the consumer stated two later, the lights came back on. The lights worked fine until November 7, 2012. He stated he had to pull and hold the passenger high beam flash arm in order to drive home. The lights came back on the next the day, when the vehicle was started. Updated 11/29/12

- Harvest, AL, USA

Jul 022012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

While driving after dark the headlights turned themselves off. The dash switch was set on auto so I changed it manual but no effect. I drove with the headlight flash switch pulled in order to get home. The lights will cycle back on and then off again without any input from me. When the lights are off it doesn't matter what position the dash switch is set on. This is a definite safety item and should be a recall by Ford Motor Company. For me to have a shop fix this item will cost around $500. I feel this should be covered by Ford.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Feb 062012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor that has faulty lcm that causes the headlights to turn off (short out) while driving. This has happened at least 40 times since I bought this automobile in February 2012 and has caused me to pullover in dark dangerous situations. I researched the problem on the internet and the solution pointed to a faulty lcm. I had to bang on the lcm each time to get the lights to turn back on. These lcms have never been recalled even though the problem and solution is all over the internet. I'm afraid someone will have to get hurt or killed in an accident before NHTSA will force a recall. I am asking that this part be recalled immediately. Thank you

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Feb 062012

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 252011

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Headlights shut off while driving at night, no way to illuminate the roadway. Hour later they came back on. Failure continues intermittently for a month now lights do not work at all. Major safety issue. Had mechanic review and told lcm needed replaced, this part failure also causes the digital climate control to not operate (meaning no defroster, no heat, no A/C), the dome lights, and vanity lights not to work. Only way to drive at night is to hold the flash to pass on constantly which again is a hazard with both hands unable to be on the steering wheel.

- Monroe City, IN, USA

Mar 012012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Lost both headlights with for turning them on, no other way to turn them try all means. Would stay off for 3 to 5 to never return.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 012012

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the headlights suddenly stopped illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- La Plata, MD, USA

Feb 092012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Headlights shut off without warning and then back on then off. Headlights seem to go off when ever they want. This happened early in the morning when it was still dark outside. This could be a serious safety problem. I had to pull over until it was light outside so I could see the road and others could see me.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Oct 052011

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

I recently began having headlight and parklight/ taillight trouble when my headlights started to shut off while I was driving. I own a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria I still had my dash lights and tail lights working. Apparently it is some sort of design flaw in the lcm and it only applies to the low beams and constant on high beam function. The flash to pass function will still work though when it was malfunctioning. It seems to be on the lcm or lighting control module. Or the BCM.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 012011

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that the headlights would fail sporadically and without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 140,000.

- Methuen , MA, USA

Jun 012011

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving at unknown speeds, both of the headlights failed without warning. The failure would occur intermittently, the lights would occasionally illuminate but would fail again within a few minutes. The lighting control module was replaced once and at a later date it failed again.the manufacturer stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle and would not provide any assistance. Search of the internet indicated that this problem has been reported numerous times in the model year that the contact drives in addition to other model years. The failure mileage was approx. 210,655.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Mar 022011

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact was driving 65 mph when both headlights failed. The dealer was contacted and informed the contact that the light control module would need to be replaced. There were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Spring Valley, MN, USA

Jun 012010

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The headlights in my 2003 Ford Crown Victoria randomly turn off and back on without warning. They can stay off for hours at a time. Sometimes they are off, sometimes they are on and using the headlight switch does nothing to correct issue. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealership and was told it is the lighting control modular which is going to be $700 just for the part. Also, I purchased an additional warranty on the vehicle which is valid for another 7 months and the warranty company is trying to deny the claim. I cannot find a recall from Ford for this defect. The vehicle has approximately 70,000 miles. I have seen numerous postings for the same issue. The consumer should not have to pay for this defective part since clearly it is a widespread issue and is a safety hazard when driving at night.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Oct 152010

Crown Victoria

2003 Ford Crown Victoria lighting control module fails without warning and causes headlights to go out. Cost to repair seems to be $500. For the module and $200-300 for installation. After researching the internet for a reason, it seems to be a very common problem for this module to fail.

- Carmichaels, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

I own a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor, over the last several months the headlights will shut off randomly. From researching online it seems this is a very widespread/well known problem. Why hasn't there been a recall on the defective part?

- Portsmouth, NH, USA