2002 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 202005

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My 2002 Ford Escape has had too many problems since I have owned it. I purchased the vehcile used in March of 2005 with 23K miles. It now has 30K. Please note it is still under warranty, however I feel the vehcile is riddled with problems to date: The cd4E automatic transmission was replaced at 4500 miules by the previous owner(performed by Ford) along with the front wheel bearings and retainer rings. Since I have owned the vehicle: 1. the vehcile stalled while driving along. The PCM was re-flashed by Ford, however it still feels like it will stall at certain times. 2. the thermostat housing leaked antifreeze and took three trips to the dealer to fix it. 3. the accerlerator cable was replaced under recall. 4. the rear glass rattles as the latch looks worns out already. 5. the engine had valve train noise and the camshaft retainers were replaced 6. the engine leaked oil due to the dealers faulty repair 7. the fan assembly/blower motor bearings have failed and a new part is on order. I am very upset and disapointed in the quality of this vehicle and I question it as I have no confidence it it.

- Fall , MA, USA

May 152002

Escape

With no warning the automatic transmission on our Escape failed completely at 44,130 miles. So far, no financial assistance has been offered by Ford or the repairing dealer dispite attempts by me to get relief for the $2700 repair bill! we have had a loud noise coming from the drivetrain since about 18,000 miles and had it checked at 25,000 by our local Ford dealer. The dealer insisted that it was only tire noise...which while very sceptical, we accepted with the caveat that when we eventually replaced the tires, the noise would be gone our we expected the vehicle to be repaired at no charge. Since the transmission's very premature failure, we have revisited the powertrain noise as we now suspect its source may have caused the transmission failure. Both front wheel bearings have been changed, the wheels and tires have been substituted and the very loud noise continues. Two Ford dealers have inspected the vehicle and no one yet has an idea of what the source of the noise is now! this truck is a true lemon and I think Ford should be stepping up to the plate to fix and pay for this problem as well as all or most of the transmission repair!!!!

- Newnan, GA, USA

Mar 112004

Escape 6-cyl

Out of warranty transmission failed at 49K miles. The vehicle experienced a shudder since 37K miles which only occurred a couple times per month. Ford failed to alert the consumer of the problem. The consumer requested reimbursement for the repair. Service bulletin#16056636254

- Dickinson Center, NY, USA

Oct 232002

Escape

The gas pedal and brake pedal vibrate constantly between 1600-1800 RPM's. I took the truck to the dealer, but was told that it was a trait of the vehicle. I have driven other ones and they do not show this trait. It happens in every gear of the transmission, but when in park the pedals won't vibrate at stated RPM. As the load on the vehicle increase the intensity of the vibration increases. The condition is very annoying because it occurs at normal highway and city speeds. I would like to get the issue resolved, but the manufacturer seems unwilling to help.

- Macon, GA, USA