- May 3: No Recall For Ford F-150 Brake Pedal Problems investigations | 3 days ago
- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 9 days ago
- April 12: Ford F-150 SuperCab Takes Top Crash Test Award news | 24 days ago
- March 31: Ford Recalls 48,000 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 36 days ago
- March 20: Ford Trucks Won't Be Recalled For Stalling Problems investigations | 47 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems28NHTSA complaints: 384
- transmission problems25NHTSA complaints: 96
- electrical problems18NHTSA complaints: 140
- windows / windshield problems9NHTSA complaints: 21
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 176
- exhaust system problems7NHTSA complaints: 26
- interior accessories problems6NHTSA complaints: 18
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 46
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 91
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 29
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 24
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 60
- body / paint problems1NHTSA complaints: 36
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 33
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 56
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 43
- AC / heater problemsNHTSA: 11
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.