- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
2001 Ford Escape
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems25NHTSA complaints: 366
- transmission problems23NHTSA complaints: 96
- electrical problems17NHTSA complaints: 131
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 166
- windows / windshield problems7NHTSA complaints: 19
- exhaust system problems6NHTSA complaints: 25
- interior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 17
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 40
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 86
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 58
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 22
- body / paint problems1NHTSA complaints: 25
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 20
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 49
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 41
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 28
- AC / heater problemsNHTSA: 11
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.