- January 18: Senators Have Questions About Ford Ranger Driver Deaths From Airbags news | 2 days ago
- January 14: Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Emissions Lawsuit Filed news | 6 days ago
- January 11: Takata Recall: Stop Driving Your 2006 Ford Ranger recalls | 9 days ago
- January 4: Ford Coolant Leak Recall to Begin Soon recalls | 16 days ago
- December 28: Ford Transmissions That Suddenly Downshift Under Investigation investigations | 23 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
Crash Test Safety Ratings
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.