- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
- March 23: Ford Focus and Fusion Power Steering Lawsuit Dismissed
- March 18: Ford Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Filed in Louisiana
- March 12: Massive Car Hacking Lawsuit Filed Against Ford, GM and Toyota
- March 3: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Expanded
2001 Ford Escape
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine light is on4
- engine running rough4
- when idling, the engine races out of control4
- won't stay running4
- clunking sound, bad engine mount2
- engine cuts out when driving2
- rough running when cold2
- back fire on start up1
- spark plug blow outs1
- sudden unintended acceleration1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline158
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine51
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control35
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling34
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal15
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control7
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Diesel1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.