- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
- July 22: Ford Recalls 8,000 Cars That Could Roll Away
- July 20: Ford Recalls Transit Vans To Replace Misprinted Seat Belt Label
- July 16: Ford Edge Water Leaks Will Be Sealed, But Don't Call It A Recall
- July 2: Ford Recalls C-MAX, Escape and Focus For Non-Stop Engines
2001 Ford Escape
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine light is on5
- when idling, the engine races out of control5
- won't stay running5
- engine running rough4
- clunking sound, bad engine mount2
- engine cuts out when driving2
- rough running when cold2
- back fire on start up1
- spark plug blow outs1
- sudden unintended acceleration1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline158
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine51
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control35
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling34
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal15
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control7
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Diesel1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.