- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 18 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 22 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 25 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 34 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 46 days ago
Won't Stay Running
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 95,158 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 5 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (3 reports)
- idle control sensor or throttle control sensor (2 reports)