- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
2013 Ford Escape
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three time, twice because of the threat of engine fire.
In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.
A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.
Worst 2013 Escape Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- interior accessories problems21NHTSA complaints: 2
- engine problems14NHTSA complaints: 70
- fuel system problems6NHTSA complaints: 12
- suspension problems5NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 1
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 7
- body / paint problems4NHTSA complaints: 7
- electrical problems4NHTSA complaints: 21
- AC / heater problems2
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 14
- cooling system problems2
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- transmission problems2
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 5
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 3
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2013 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.