- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 0 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 18 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 21 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 48 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 57 days ago
2001 Ford Escape (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 118,589 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 23 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace the damn thing (11 reports)
- not sure (5 reports)
- rebuild the transmission (5 reports)
- junk it (1 reports)
- replaced nuetral safety switch (1 reports)