2003 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Escape:

2003 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 232016

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 33 mph and attempting to turn, the front passenger side wheel failed and the vehicle became difficult to control. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over to the shoulder and discovered that the front passenger wheel was rusted and twisted outward. The failure caused the rear control arm to almost fall off. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Bloomfield, MI, USA

Aug 192016

• 1,360,026 miles
While driving on highway the steering started to become unstable and loose. Moments later the lower control arm (sub-frame) on passenger side separated causing loss of control almost ending in crash. Never received notice of the recall below to fix this problem which was issued about two years ago. Dealership contacted. They are dragging their feet on an answer as to whether they'll fix. Recall # 14S02 2001-'04 Ford Escape recalled for rust, steering problem Ford is recalling 385,762 2001-'04 Ford Escape SUVS because a rust problem may cause the lower control arm to separate, potentially resulting in diminished steering control. | April 8, 2014 | Ford Motor Company recall title: Front subframe crossbrace installation NHTSA recall number: 14V165000 Ford recall number: 14S02

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Jul 232016

While driving, the front right tire felt like it was going to fall off the vehicle. I took it to my mechanic who stated that the sub-frame was cracked and Ford had a recall in place. I had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership who stated that it would be covered under the recall. Instead, they put a cross-bar on the cracked sub frame because they determined it was "not broken" only "cracked". the sub frame had "rusted and corroded" due to Ford's own admittance of "faulty parts". I asked if the vehicle was safe and they stated "no". I asked if the vehicle would pass inspection and again they stated "no". I asked if this was a "bandaid" that they put on to make themselves feel better about the fact that anyone operating the vehicle could lose total control. I asked to speak to a manager, who told me there was nothing he could do. He did state he would makes some calls and called me a day or two later to say, that his manager said if I wanted the vehicle fixed, I could pay $1,200 for the part and an additional $600-$800 in labor to fix the vehicle, or I could trade it in. I am beyond frustrated that Ford will not back up their product. The vehicle has less than 65,000 miles on it!

- East Pembroke, NY, USA

Jun 192016

In may of 2016, I took my Ford Escape in for repair of a recall. My understanding of the recall was to prevent a failure of the lower control arm as I read the recall notice and the conversation that I had with repair center agent. A month later the lower control arm separates. After I had my vehicle towed to Ford, it was expressed to me that recall was not to prevent failure but merely to stabilize the vehicle in the event of failure. Had I not had the recall performed on my vehicle they would have repaired the Escape at cost to them, but because I had the recall performed then I most pay for it. Why would Ford authorize such a ridiculous recall effort. First of all if it's know issue, why not repair the issue. Secondly, had I know the ramifications, I would never have had the recalled performed. The control separated while driving and I hit a bump.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Jan 152016

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was being serviced for routine tire maintenance, the contact was informed that there was severe corrosion to the rear axles of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 07/12/16

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Feb 072016

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle had a recall on the frame and was repaired. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle shook and the steering wheel wobbled. The front driver side wheel was straight while the front passenger side wheel faced outward. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe was completely fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Feb 012016

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 10 mph, a loud thumping sound came from the front of the vehicle and the steering malfunctioned. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the subframe seperated due to severe rust and corrosion, which caused the lower control arm to fracture. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,000.

- Edwardsburg, MI, USA

Nov 152015

I was driving home from work on a highway(60mph) when my steering became loose, weaving left and right. Had to slow down to 20mph until I got home. The vehicle was inspected, found that the passenger side subframe had broken in 2. Ford is recalling 385,762 2001-'04 Ford Escape SUVS because a rust problem may cause the lower control arm to separate, potentially resulting in diminished steering control. Ford dealers will install a reinforcement crossbrace on the affected Escapes. The subframe has broken apart due to the corrosion, and it's unsafe to drive. Since Ford is aware of this, they should have both subframe replace as a recall and not adding a crossbar as a recall. Currently the vehicle is parked on my driveway. The estimated cost to repair was too costly.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Dec 102015

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 40 mph, a thumping noise was heard from the passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the subframe was severely rusted and fractured. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that a brace was placed on by the dealer in the subframe as part of a recall in 2014. The approximate failure mileage was 121,000.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Dec 032015

My Ford Escape had recall 14S02 completed, which was supposed to "fix" the rusting out sub-frames made of inferior metal due to salt-belt states salting of roads, by installing a flimsy brace across the sub-frame, but I'm honestly not sure what it does besides prevent your car from "completely" losing control. Ford refuses to truly fix the problem and it posses a serious risk to me, my family, and others on the road. If the sub-frame does detach on my car, which it is one nasty pot-hole away from detaching, than I will lose control of my car when the control arm breaks off the sub-frame and I will be in a potentially life threatening situation. My local independent mechanic warned me of the danger of this problem just recently while it was stationary, but Ford did not. Ford simply brushed me off and didn't explain to me how dangerous this supposed "fix" is. I am student, and in order for me to fix this on my own the cost will be unbearable. I do not think this is fair or following federal law, and I don't know how this pathetic brace held on by a couple of bolts was considered a real fix for a very dangerous problem. The manner in which Ford has handled this situation has been deplorable as well, and I have received nothing but rudeness from their service department, and customer service representatives. The danger of this particular problem is that when the car is in motion and it does detach, especially on a highway, then I, and others will be at a risk due to loss of control of steering.

- Winchendon, MA, USA

Nov 162015

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While driving at various speeds, there were abnormal noises coming from the front of the vehicle. In addition, both front tires leaned inwards. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front control arm, sway bar, and tie rods needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the mechanic also stated that the subframe corroded and needed to be replaced. A week later, while reversing at a low speed, the contact heard a loud noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that the control arm and axle fractured. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,470.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Nov 052015

My wife owns a 2003 Ford Escape. While driving it down the road she noticed the steering was getting uncontrollable. She pulled the car off the road and called aaa for a tow. The car was towed to midas where we usually have our work done on our vehicles. Midas looked at the car while still on the tow truck. They said that it should be covered by the recall on the car. Midas called waikem Ford and was told to tell us to bring it there. We had the tow truck driver take it there. This was on 11/05/15. I was called on 11/6 and told they would not be able to look at the car that day and Monday 11/9 they would look at it. This was in a message to my phone. Monday I received another message from a guy named craig that he had taken pictures of the problem and sent it to Ford Motor Company. That was all the message said. Tuesday I received a message from craig that the car was done and we could pick it up anytime. I took my wife over to get the car and she drove it home which is three blocks away. She didn't notice anything wrong do to the short trip and slow speed. Saturday 11/14 she took the car out and once again the steering felt uncontrollable. I went over to waikem Ford and ask why the car wasn't fixed. I was told that Ford Motor Company had denied the fix on the car. Cross brace was installed which is what they do on the recall. How ever the frame rusted out where the control arms attach and the cross brace did nothing. The car was released to us without being told that the problem wasn't fixed. We were not told Ford Motor Company had rejected the request for repair. This is a known defect in the car, and Ford should have authorized the fix. Ford Motor Companies decision along with waikem Ford releasing that car to us put my wife and the public in danger.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Oct 302015

I own a 03 Ford Escape and when driving at about 30mph my tire started rubbing the fenderwell and pulling hard to the right I had to fight to keep my car from hitting things and about 5 seconds after all of a sudden there is a very loud clunk sound from my passenger front tire. And my front end dropped and wheel locked up. Causing me to lose control of my vehicle. Nearly missing parked cars. I was told my lower control arm separated from subframe. Which has a corrosion issue (this is a know problem with this model, recall reference number --- 14S02).. I was advised by a private mechanic that my subframe needed replaced. I googled and found out about this recall and had it taken to my local Ford dealership and so far have heard nothing.. this is ridiculous. And because of this safety recall, it damaged my car even further, broke my C/V joint. Probably messed up the axel

- Wellsville, OH, USA

Jul 082015

The right front sub-frame is dangerously rusted through, and my mechanic says it's not safe to drive as it may collapse an any moment. I took it to the Ford dealership in North canton, Ohio this summer (approximately June or July) and they said the VIN number wasn't on the recall list, so they refused to fix it. The situation is such that I have a vehicle that is unsafe to drive, and Ford Motor Co. Will not fix it. As of now, I am afraid to use this vehicle. The question is: Why has Ford recalled and repaired most of these rusted sub-frame problems, but not mine?

- E. Canton, OH, USA

Oct 122015

Steering lose with little control. Mechanic states a separation of the lower control arm due to excessive corrosion in frame. Matches Ford recall 14S02. Yet recall was performed June 2014. So safety recall failed.

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Oct 022015

I was driving along a highway getting ready to turn when the frame broke and I was barely able to get off the road when it stopped because I found out later the frame that kept the C V joint in place came apart and my tire twisted into the wheel well. The recall that was to keep this from happening had been performed but the repair did not keep this from happening to my vehicle.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Sep 302015

Went to get car inspected and the exhaust Y pipe and engine cradle subframe has corrison. Called the Ford recall and for some reason my vehicle did not have a recall, but there were other 2003 recalls for the control arms and corrison of the frame and members. This seems to be a problem with a lot of Ford vehicles but not on the recall list and should be. Vehicle has 100,078 miles. There is also noise come from an area around the tires not sure which one.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 182015

I was pulling out of my driveway and started to hear a loud clunking noise. I pulled the car back in and it has sat the past few days. I took it to my mechanic and was told that the whole front end and frame are rusted and needs to be replaced. I researched online and am now aware of all the issues that involve rust on these models. I am scared to even drive the car in the shape that it is in. I will call the recall hotline but according to what I have read I don't expect much help from Ford. I will never purchase another Ford and am sorry to say that as consumers we should expect these companies to stand behind their cheaply made products

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Apr 062015

A recall on our Ford Escape was performed last August.the recall was for rusted frame/cradle area that holds front suspension the time of the recall I informed the dealer that the cradle was weak and very rusty over and above any other rust on car.the dealer installed a brace between the two rails of the frame and told me that was the extent of the recall.the other day while driving the cradle gave out and the engine, the steering gear dropped down a few inches rendering the car undriveable.I was able to maintain control and get it to the dealership. I was told they are only responsible for the brace not the weak cradle. I guess my question is how can this recall stop anyone from a wreck or damage when the entire cradle is affected by this problem. This recall had to be approved by someone im sure. This brace will not stop a car from being out of control at any givin time as the cradle rot will affect a lot more than just the lower control arm area.I understand its an old car but Ford knows there is a serious rust issue with this part.if Ford and the NHTSA feel this bandaid repair is good enough for safety of my family then I have my doubt on whether there is anyone in either organization that knows anything about a car or safety at all.

- Fairview, PA, USA

Apr 062015

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a dealer to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure) and the dealer installed reinforcement cross bar to the under carriage of the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic, who determined that the cross bar was not a permanent repair. As a result, the front sub frame needed to be replaced and the front passenger side lower control arm was rusted through. The contact felt that the recall remedy was not an adequate repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- East Bridgewater, MA, USA