Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Feb 062011

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact was accelerating 20 mph from a complete stop when the accelerator pedal became stuck in the open throttle position. The contact proceeded to drive up an incline to determine if the pedal would free itself but it did not. He was able to release the accelerator pedal by constantly depressing with abrupt force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 54,574. Updated 03/16/11

- Saint Louis County , MO, USA

Oct 012010

2006 Ford Escape - gas pedal sticks and is hard to press down, especially when it's cold outside. Noticed at approximately 55,000 miles. Have noticed many similar complaints on the internet.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 082011

Accelerator pedal stuck. Could not depress. Car idled perfectly fine but couldn't press the accelerator. After about 5 minutes it was fine again. This has happened on at least a dozen occasions.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Jan 072009

Gas pedal stuck within 1/10 mile of travel on cold morning. First happened in January 2009. Has happened twice in January 2011. Car idled, but could not accelerate while traveling. Coasted to stop in right lane. Repeated pressing produced no response. After about 5 minutes in each instance pedal became operable.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012009

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

My gas pedal sticks while trying to accelerate when it is cold outside. When I try to press on the gas, the pedal will not budge unless I press extremely hard. This problem will last until the car warms up. This is extremely problematic in the snow!

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Dec 282010

I reported the same problem 13 days ago, but have had another acceleration problem again today. Again, vehicle would not decelerate when the gas pedal was released. Instead, car continued pulling at same speed and then began speeding up. I was on an exit ramp when the problem occurred. Luckily, I was able to use the brakes to fight against the pull of the car while maneuvering through traffic to avoid wrecking. Had to use brakes constantly until I could get the car to a lot to turn off the vehicle. When in park, motor was racing at 4000 RPM's. turned off the car and tried three times to restart. Each time vehicle raced to 4000 rpms. This is exactly what happened on 12/15/2010 as reported here previously.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 012010

Escape 4-cyl

The accelerator on my 2006 Ford Escape has been sticking on numerous occasions. It feels like it locks in position and I cannot depress it. The first incident happened when I backed out of a parking spot. It worked fine in reverse, but when I switched gears it would not go forward. When I finally got it to work, I traveled about twenty five feet and then it locked up again. You never know when the accelerator is going to stick. This can prove to be very dangerous my son called the dealership regarding the problem, but they said my car is no longer under warranty. It appears to be an expensive fix, and I've read about many, many people who are suffering with the same defects. It seems it's been an ongoing thing since 2001. My husband is currently experiencing the same accelerator problems with his 2005 Ford Escape. We've currently filed a complaint regarding that vehicle also.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Dec 152010

Driving on the interstate, the vehicle throttle stuck at about 75 to 80 mph. The vehicle held this speed on its own for about 5 miles. I pulled on to the shoulder and had to stand on brakes to stop vehicle. With brakes on, the vehicle was still trying to accelerate. I put Escape in park and turned off auto. When I did, it lurched forward. After waiting a few minutes, I restarted car while in park with brakes on hard. The car lurched forward again and immediately after turning ignition jumped up to 4000 RPM. Turned off car and had towed to dealership. After the looked at the car, they said they could not "verify my claim"; therefore, they could not do anything. I was charged $100 for a service call and they did nothing. In the past, my gas pedal has also stuck and had to be mashed hard to get the car to run like many other complaints I've seen here for the same make and model. I had the throttle cleaned and it stopped, but it was very dangerous and almost caused me to get rear ended many times. Today's issue with the car stuck going 80 mph was much much worse. Looks like many people are asking for a recall that has not happened yet!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 012010

Escape 4-cyl

2006 Ford Escape. Gas pedal sticks. Accelerating - began at about 55K miles. Does not matter at what speed - can be 5 mph or 60 mph on the freeway. Vehicle cannot accelerate to get out of the way of other vehicles. Car usually needs to be turned off and sit for a period of time - 5 to 10 minutes, occasionally can hit on the gas pedal hard over and over to get it to re-engage. Car at 85K miles now, still happens randomly with no notice.

- Fife, WA, USA

Oct 252010

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 212010

Escape 4-cyl

1. during normal driving. 2. the gas pedal on my 2006 Ford Escape sticks and is unable to be depressed (locks) or is difficult to press down while in traffic 3. throttle body was replaced by Ford two years ago after a similar problem but it is happening again and we were almost rear-ended trying to merge onto a highway ramp.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jan 312008

When the outside ambient temperature is below 50 degrees F, the accelerator pedal is stuck in the up position/no throttle and inoperable. This issue only seems to occur in colder months of the year. When first trying to press the accelerator pedal down, it gives resistance as if it's completely stuck. Forcing more pressure onto the pedal will make the pedal depress slightly, however, the vehicle does not accelerate/move. The only way to get the vehicle to accelerate/move is to repeatedly tap or stomp on the pedal to "break it free". tapping or stomping the pedal often produces a surge of acceleration and is dangerous in close traffic. This issue occurs after initially entering the vehicle and will continue to occur until the vehicle cabin temperature has been raised significantly using the vehicle's heater. The vehicle was out of manufacturer warranty due to mileage and I have not been able to have the vehicle looked at when this issue occurs due to it being weather/temperature related.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jul 122009

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that when depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would not accelerate and the pedal would intermittently become stuck in the idle position. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted and stated that there was no recall for the failure and would not provide any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Jan 022010

2006 Ford Escape 4door. Gas pedal sticking when car is cold, sometimes even after car is warmed up, will be at stop sign or light and gas pedal stuck to floor not coming up to accelerate. My sister had same problem with her 2006 Ford Focus.

- Smithfield, KY, USA

Nov 222009

The gas pedal on our 2006 Ford Escape locks up at random times, causing an inability to press on the gas pedal. The vehicle becomes instantly inoperable. The only way to get the pedal to unlock, is to get to the side of the road and turn the vehicle off and on a few times. The consequences of such actions are obviously dangerous to say the list. We have taken the car to the Ford dealer and they found nothing wrong. Please go on the web and you will see numerous same case scenarios. This is disaster waiting to happen. We have to think of this each time we drive this car. Help.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

Mar 012008

At about 45,000 miles my gas pedal started locking up when I try to press it down. It appears that it happens more when it is cold or the car has been sitting.

- Northampton, PA, USA

Aug 162009

I was driving my 2006 Ford Escape home from a friend's house with the cruise control on when I noticed a strange odor, like something was burning. I came to a stop behind another vehicle. I wasn't sure the smell was coming from my truck until I turned onto my street and noticed smoke. I grabbed some bags out of the truck and popped the hood. White smoke started pouring out. I went into the house and called 911. I went upstairs to let my aunt know to move her car and within a matter of 5-8 minutes, we heard a loud bang. I ran down the stairs to find the front of the truck burning. I started pulling things out of the truck until the flames quickly spread to the inside roof interior. The fire department arrived and put out the fire but the entire front of the truck was destroyed. The dashboard and steering wheel melted completely. I had very recently had the oil changed on my truck at the dealership, as I have done for the almost 2 years of ownership. Their multi-point inspection did not reflect that anything was wrong with the vehicle which would cause this kind of damage. The truck caught fire and was destroyed very quickly. After the fire I researched this truck type and found that Ford has recalled several hundred thousand earlier models for fires. I am very concerned because this was a family vehicle. I or my child could have been injured or worse. Please investigate this further.

- Lawnside, NJ, USA

Jan 022009

Accelerator pedal sticks annoyingly at slow speed part throttle and when starting out. Appears related to very cold temperatures. Requires tapping the pedal sharply with your foot to overcome the resistance without over-accelerating the vehicle. Problem disappears after engine has warmed up.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Jan 152009

Ford Escape-accelerator pedal sticking; appears isolated to cold weather. Initial extra pedal force is necessary to push through "sticking" in order to attain desired speeds. This causes more than desired acceleration, and speed. Not safe; especially on snow, iced surfaces.

- Spencer, OH, USA

Oct 072008

I was driving with my cruise control on. I tapped my brakes to disengage my cruise control and they locked long enough to send me into a fishtail. I over-corrected to come out of the fishtail and the Escape started rolling. The airbags never deployed even though the Escape rolled six times and was totaled while still under factory warranty. My daughter received some minor scratches on her hands. I dislocated my left thumb, broke my left shoulder in four places, snapped my left femur in half, shattered the bottom third of my left tibia, and had a hairline fracture to my right tibia just below the knee. I was also thirty-five weeks pregnant and the baby died do to trauma from the crash. The accident occurred October 7, 2008 and I am still in the hospital as I am writing this complaint on January 4, 2009. Ford refuses to come look at the Escape to figure out why the airbags never deployed.

- Martinsville, VA, USA