Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jul 302016

Transmission went out. Was driving to work on surface street truck started to lose speed and wouldnt accelerate. Turned car off then restarted put it into drive and it wouldn't move.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 062016

A couple months ago, I bought a 2006 Ford Escape, but within a short time it started shutting down with no warning. I lost all power (steering and brakes) and had to pull the emergency brake to stop. Thank god I was near a parking lot and there was no cars coming. Now, every time I drive it, the problem gets worse. When going up hills and at higher speeds, it spits and sputters and sometimes it will just shut down while driving! it has gotten progressively worse and now when I stop at a stop sign and start to pull out at an intersection it just shuts off. The car will start right back up but it is so dangerous when it just shuts off going down the road. I have put it in the garage twice, but both times they couldn't find anything wrong and there are no codes being thrown. I also took it to a Ford dealer, but they could find nothing wrong.. but something needs to be done, its so dangerous and I'm afraid to drive the car.

- Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Dec 192015

The right wheel well of my 2006 Ford Escape (limited) is completely rusted out. I can no longer drive this vehicle because the shock is about to break through the interior of the vehicle. The rust has caused exhaust to pour into the vehicle. Before knowing about this, I took my vehicle to several different mechaincs because I could smell exhaust. They couldn't find anything. A Canadian auto body person (I love on the border) told me that it was coming from the holes in the right wheel well and showed me the large hole where exhaust is leaking in. This is a serious safety issue that all Escape owners (2006 at least) need to be made aware of!!! I can't take and attach photos at this time due to the weather but can provide them another time, upon request. I should note that I live in northern Michigan and that I have taken meticulous care of this vehicle.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Dec 072015

Driving down the freeway and my vehicle shuts off without warning. There is a loud knocking and shuttering noise like my whole engine is going to drop onto the freeway. I get to the shoulder and put it in park. As I try to start the vehicle again the engine/motor starts shaking yet again with a loud knocking noise and wont turn over. I had to get my car towed. My children were extremely scared and being on the freeway this issue is very dangerous and has been complained about multiple times.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 202015

Throttle cable broke. The gas pedal fell to the car floor and the car stopped all acceleration. I was on a city street under the speed limit, so I was able to pull to the side of the road and wait for a tow truck. My mechanic fixed it 9/23, as this is a dealer only part and I had to order it.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 302015

The 2006 Ford Escape XLT car was well maintained and I am the only owner. The right wheel well shock tower is completely rusted out and is very dangerous to drive. The cost was estimated at over 1,000. Dollar to fix. There has been numerous others who have had the same experience and Ford will not do anything about the safety issue. Since I replaced the 2 rear shocks the right wheel well rusting clunking issue has gotten worse and is a very bad safety issue to drive. Please make Ford responsible for this common terrible safety issue.

- Albany, NY, USA

Jun 192015

My husband and I bought a new 2006 Ford Escape. We splurged on rust proofing. We just learned that our wheel well has completed rusted out making the car unsafe to drive. Ford refuses to help rectify this problem despite the fact that this is a serious safety issue and we could have a serious accident. I have found many other dissatisfied Ford Escape customers online who have had the same experience and have not received any help from Ford. This is not right. Yes, our car is getting on in years but it should not be disintegrating from rust especially when we bought a rusf proofing protection package. The manufacturer needs to stand by their product.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 082015

The alarm will go off randomly while in park and not running. Has gone off at different times of the day. Dealer replaced "smart junction box" but did not fix problem. Returned to dealer after it happened again. Thought it might be a latch problem but unless it happened while the vehicle was at dealership, they would not be able to be sure which latch and replacing all latches would be very expensive.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jan 022015

I own a 2006 Ford Escape XLT with 100,000 miles. 90% highway miles, well maintained with dealer or independent mechanic. Have all paper work. "my biggest worry is the stalling for no reason and an accident happening and this should be a recall issue". Jan. 2015 I had a intake and valve oil leak that was fixed 3 times, Jan, Feb and March. When I took it to the dealer in March, I mentioned that my vehicle had stalled in my driveway after a 30 minute highway drive from work. They put it on the computer and said there was no code for a stall. Dealer said Ford sent them notice describing my same issue but couldn't confirm it was the torque converter. April 10th 2015 I was out of extended warranty. The stalling happened again late April, took to dealer again. Dealer said no codes again. Took straight to uncle after leaving dealer for him to look at and couldn't get the vehicle to stall after a week of having it. I've read online forums of people replacing transmission multiple times for torque converter and other issues within the transmission. Also, after 3 deer ran out in front of me 2 years ago, repairs done to physical damage and passenger seatbelt replaced twice during repairs, passenger seatbelt and airbag lights come on and seatbelt alert beeps while driving even know the passenger has the seatbelt on. I have to park, shut down, buckle seatbelt and then start again and this worked except for one time I had to repeat this a second time. Dealer said there was no codes for airbags or seat belts. Ford has not been notified yet. Also, when I bought the vehicle brand new I had the underbody sprayed but the rear wheel wells are rusting from underneath to outer body and rusting under front doors too.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 122011

Escape 6-cyl

I drove 7 miles to work. It was a little foggy/dewey out so I turned on my rear defrost. The temperature was in the low 60's, so cool, but not cold by any means. I parked my car and rolled the windows (all 4) down @ 3 inches. When I parked my car @ 8:00am it was fine. By 9:10am, I was informed that the back windshield of my car was "broken". when I went to check my car, the back windshield had completely blown out. There was barely any glass on the inside of the car as it had all blown out 3-4 feet into the parking lot. I did have the local police respond just in case and the officer shrugged and questioned/stated "freak accident". I've found numerous reports of this happening on these vehicles, yet no public awareness has been made. I am just glad that it didn't happen while I was driving like with some reports I've read. My insurance would cover a "recycled" rear windshield/wiper and I am terrified to use the rear defrost on the new one knowing that it came from the same year and make of vehicle for fear it will happen again.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA