9.2

$3,088.00

1. have to replace transmission (36 reports)
  2. replace transmission (7 reports)
  4. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
2006 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 102014

Escape V4

Please call ford about escapes transmission please we need the recall

- , augusta, GA, USA

Jan 112014

Escape

I bought this car because it was in good shape and I needed a second vehicle due to issues with my Oldsmobile, I didn't want to be without a backup vehicle. My father is in his 90s and I need to be able to get him to his appts and to the store comfortably. The transmission locked up on me and now I find out the a used transmission will cost me $1,650 and a new one will be $2,535 where on earth am I supposed to get that kind of money? If Ford thinks I am rich they are nuts. Send my some money and I will get it fixed. I think I will have to sell it before it goes out again. I can't afford this crap.

- , Berwick, PA, USA

Apr 092012

Escape

Add me to the list of Ford Escape oweners that had to replace their trans with low miles. 60,400 miles and only 6 years old. Well taken care of as far as maintenance goes. Just had entire car checked in February. Sorry Ford, I'm telling anyone who will listen to purchase elsewhere. The Web is a powerful thing!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 132012

Escape

only 38,000 miles on a 2006 ford escape and the transmission just "went" - stopped at a stop light, couldn't go forward or accelerate. Undriveable. Ford says it's out of warranty - too bad. It will cost $4,000 to replace the transmission.

- , Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Nov 012012

Escape XLT V6

2006 Ford Escape V6 XLT have always maintained service and replaced fluids and filters. Was surprised to learn then with just 85k miles was having problems after it was started and warmed up would not shift into reverse gear. Drive gear not a problem, reverse only. Took to Ford dealer in Melbourne FL, Kelly Ford, mechanic said he needed 6 hours and $600 just to tear down transmission to find out what the problem is then he wanted additional money to replace the entire transmission. After seeing all the posts on this board about the same problem I'm surprised Ford won't acknowledge problems with this make/model about transmission problems. Instead, dealers are taking $3,000 for repairs for something that is fundamentally a design flaw. This is the last American car I will ever buy.

- , Melbourne Beach, Florida, USA

Feb 082013

Escape XLT V6

I have been a Ford owner for 40 years and my 2006 escape will be the LAST after dealing with a trans. replacement.

- , Freedom, PA, USA

May 282013

Escape 3.0

This piece of sh*t broke down with my wife and children 150 miles from our home after we just got it out of shop for routine maintenance 2 days prior. I have always owned a ford but after talkin to them about my problem they just talked to me like an ass. maybe they forgot about the people who buy their vehicles. after talkin with them they act like it was all my fault. these sorry bunch of people how quickly they forgot we are the reason they got bailed out recall this piece of sh*t

- , Portsmouth, OH, USA

Oct 012011

Escape 2.3L

Vehicle would shut off every time I would come to a stop. I would start it back up and drive off only to have it shut off again when I came to a stop. After getting it towed to the garage, they had to replace the torque convertor and rebuild the trans. This vehicle had about 46,000 miles on the odometer. I now have about 89,000 miles on the odometer and the transmission is acting up again. This time its slipping when going into reverse. Once this vehicle is repaired, I am getting rid of it and never buying a Ford again. I agree, this should be covered under a recall. Transmissions with very low miles and under normal use should not go out.

- , Crestview, Florida, USA

Mar 192013

Escape 3.0L

I HAVE A 2006 ESCAPE WITH 55,000 MILES. SHOULD NOT NEED A NEW TRANS LET ALONE HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A RECALL PROBLEM. FLUID LEVEL AND COLOR WERE OK. NO REASON FOR THE TRANS TO STOP WORKING OTHER THAN FAULTY WORKMANSHIP.

- , Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 142012

Escape LX

this is the 3rd time we had the transmission go out! ready to get rid of this piece of crap! sounds like a lemon to me!!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 152012

Escape XLT V6

I have e a 2006 Ford Escape. I was relocating from PA to FL. We made it to Tampa and as we turned into the hotel the car stopped and would not engage and go forward. I could not believe the transmission went. It cost 3400 to fix. I went online and saw the many complaints about the same issue and can not believe Ford is not doing anything about it. I have been a loyal Ford driver but I may change my mind when I buy a new car. So very disappointed.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 222012

Escape

I was driving home from work and out of nowhere the car made a whining sound and the car's momentum stopped. I shut the car off for about 2 minutes thinking it had somehow overheated. When I started it back up it engaged into drive and I went about 30 feet and the same thing happened. I coasted to a side street and had to call a tow truck. Luckily, I had a case of cold beer in the back that I had just bought. So there I was sitting on the side of the road with my case of beer and no car. Now the dealer says my transmission is shot, and my ABS is broke. I just bought this Escape last August and loved it --- until now!!!!!

- , Tonawanda, New York, USA

Mar 052012

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

With less than 118,000 kms (73,350 miles) the transmission had to be replaced at a total cost of 3,329.00. Conveniently for Ford, just after the 100,000km warranty. That is a fairly severe problem to have at such low kms and judging by the amount of similar complaints it is directly representative of Fords take on quality for the 2006 Escape.

- , FREDERICTON, New Brunswick, canada

Apr 082010

Escape 4 cyl

I was driving my SUV when I stopped at the store and then it wouldn't work any more. There were no signs that anything was wrong with it. It worked perfect before that. I had to have the transmission replaced.

- , hoyt, New Brunswick, canada

Jan 222012

Escape 4 cyl

taking my daughter and her friend to Sunday school when all of a sudden my SUV started shifting from high to low gear. I pulled over to the side of the road and called the local garage and had them tow me. It was the transmission again. not @ years after I had the transmission replaced it went again. I was not a very happy person. I had 2 kids crying cause they couldn't go to church and me crying cause it was going to cost me a lot of money again. I was told by my mechanic the first time that the transmission went that I should sell the truck, as I was still paying for it I didn't want to do that. I thought that since the problem had already been fixed once that it would be okay. Was I ever wrong!! Now I have a truck that is finally paid for that I can't drive cause the transmission went again!!!!!!

- , hoyt, New Brunswick, canada

Dec 162011

Escape ES 3.0L

bought this car thinking this would be a reliable car for my daughter WRONG she comes home from school transmission goes out . call Ford no warranty no recall i am told I'm out of luck i will have to fix or replace the transmission .no help from Ford . if this is how ford treats their customers i will not buy another Ford product

- , Seminole, TX, USA

Aug 172011

Escape LS 3-0

got rid of the goddamn thing as is lost my shirt on it. would not get in the piece of junk even if I had it fixed could not trust it so much for driving fords all my life

- , Tatamagouche, Nova Scptia, Canada

Jun 032011

Escape XLT V6

My husband and I were traveling on the expressway and exited. When we stopped at the light the car stalled. Each time we attempted to put it in gear after restarting, it stalled again. My brother in law said it is the torque converter. Here I am in school trying to get my RN degree and barely making ends meet, we have no extra money. I keep reading all these horror stories about how Ford knew of the problem, yet there is no recall??

- , Monroe, Michigan, USA

Oct 252011

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

I hadn't noticed a thing since I had the rear differential replaced about 6 months ago (don't get me started on that one), and then right as I am driving home, making a left turn, the car stops with the forward momentum. When I pushed the pedal, the engine revved, but I wasn't going anywhere. I turned off the engine, and restarted the car, figuring it must have stalled out, and if I restarted and engaged drive from park, things would right themselves. It didn't work the first time I tried, but after waiting with the hazards on for about 30 seconds, I tried again... and I shifted into gear and headed home. I figured it was a hiccup that I would have to get checked out later, but everything seemed fine otherwise. Then, as I was making the final turn en route to the casa, it happened again. It seemed to be slipping out of gear at low speeds, and not returning. I tried the "wait 30 seconds" fix, but it was not working this time. A friendly policeman and some bystanders helped push me out of the road onto a side street. Thankfully, I had AAA, and I got a quick tow. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I figured I might as well try to engage the gear again. Sure enough I rolled forward, and things seemed fine, the pedal made the car go forward! (crazy!) As I reveled in my new "30 second fix program" I attempted to move forward again, and the gas pedal did nothing but make my engine sound louder.

Fast forward to today. I am thinking about my car all day at work, and no word is coming from the mechanic. This cannot be good news, if it were something simple, it would be fixed by now. I get a call in the afternoon, and I am quoted that a remanufactured transmission would cost around 3800 to replace (parts/labor/tax) included. Just pissed that my car that has 63,000 miles on it has this major issue happen seemingly out of the blue. The mechanic said that everything looked fine on the outside, and that the fluid was the correct color and level.

Reading the complaints about this, wow... something really needs to be done here. This is awful. I talked to another mechanic for a quote, and once I had mentioned "ford escape" and "transmission issue" he immediately responded that I would need a new one, and that I was screwed. Common issue.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Jun 042011

Escape Limited V6

DRIVING DOWN 2 LANE HIGHWAY ABOUT 30 MPH CAM TO A STOP LIGHT, STOPPED, WHEN LIGHT TURNED PRESSED THE GAS AND CAR RPMS REVED TO 4 AND CAR BARELY MOVED. WAS ABLE TO COAST TO PARKING LOT WHERE I TRIED TO GET IT IN REVERSE, DRIVE AND NOTHING HAPPENED. HAD TO CALL FOR TOW TO DEALER. FIRST IMPRESSION WAS TRANSMISSION, BUT AFTER SOME FURHTER LOOKING THEY SAID IT WAS THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND WOULD COST 1500.00, WHEN THE PART CAME IN AND THEY TOOK THE ESCAPE APART THEN SAID IT WASN'T THE TORQUE CONVERTER BUT THE FRONT PUMP ON THE TRANSMISSION HAD LOCKED UP? NOW IT IS GOING TO COST 2961.00. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT A VEHICLE WITH ONLY 80,000 ON IT SHOULD NOT HAVE THESE TYPES OF PROBLEMS AND FORD NEEDS TO BE CALLED OUT ON IT!

- , Marissa, IL, USA