CarComplaints.com Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

9.2

$3,140.00

1. have to replace transmission (43 reports)
  2. replace transmission (26 reports)
  3. rebuilt transmission (5 reports)
  5. shove it up Ford's @$$ (2 reports)
  6. fix the 2/4 band (1 reports)
2006 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 102015

Escape XLT 4x4 3.0L V6

Another common Escape problem. Tranny gave out and now the replacement is not far behind.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Mar 262016

Escape V6

Perfectly maintained. Great report cards from dealer shop every 3-6 months. Said nothing I could have done to prevent the transmission "internally coming apart". Apparently nothing they could have seen either?? There was only the warning of the O/D and emission light for a couple of hours before the car completely stopped accelerating on the interstate where I slowly pulled to the side within an inch of my life on a busy interstate at night. Now they want to replace the transmission, cooler for transmission, and radiator assembly for $6,000+. Said bad fluid got into all of those parts.

Of course before they even did full diagnostics, they said I should buy a new car. Wow, Fords don't last past 100,000 miles without a $6,000 repair??

There is a recall on transmissions for Ford Escapes, but not the 2006. I have called the Ford Motor Company (who offered a discount on new car-imagine that dealership negotiation), the National Highway Safety Administration and the Federal Trade Commission. You should do the same. They obviously know this is a problem and are offering no owner support for this issue...except maybe to discount you having the same issue a few years from now.

If there is an investigation, you may be able to save receipts and get $$ back. I am beyond sad. I loved and took car of this car and with no warning, I have to borrow $ to fix a terrible situation.

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 212016

Escape LX

2006 Ford Escape 87000 miles transmission went out. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. A well maintained car with only 87000 and now I have to pay $2450 to fix it. How is this not a class action lawsuit!?!? Come on Ford tons of complaints about the transmission going out at low mileage, recall and fix this issue or refund us for having to get it fixed! I am a loyal Ford/GM customer and this is the thanks I get!

- , Burbank, CA, USA

Nov 142015

Escape XLT V6

I figure I'm not supposed to use curse words in my complaint so just add an F bomb between every word I type and you'll come close to understanding how I feel about this car.

FOURTH transmission. That's right. 1. 2. 3. 4! Less than 113k miles

First one went at about 100k. Second one lasted a year (paid for it). Third one was a warranty from the second one. Fourth is now shot.

Each one seems to have failed differently. First was a clogged filter issue. Lack of lubrication so it ate itself. Third the drum cracked in half. This one is undiagnosed as of now, but I lost drive (still goes backwards and will go forward in drive 2).

I'm sick to my stomach about this awful awful car. The cost of the repairs, the rental cars, the tow trucks, not to mention all my time on the side of the road.

Hideous.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 032015

Escape XLT V6

CLASS ACTION SUIT anyone! Enough is enough! this is the second transmission in this vehicle. I cannot get a loan and do not have enough money to fix! I remember when transmissions only went out when you abused your vehicle. No abuse on this vehicle and I'm changing transmissions like most people change their spark plugs! only difference is about $3800.00! I have replaced most of the suspension parts and front end parts. I just put $861 into the car the day before the transmission went out. I can deal with wear and tear but damn this is above and beyond that. I bought a 2014 ford focus in January 2105 and guess what, that one came with a transmission problem. ford is having trouble trying to figure out how to fix the problem! guess no more fords in my life time!

- , Apple Valley, MN, USA

Nov 242011

Escape XLT V6

I don't feel that transmissions should be replaced like spark plugs! First transmission went out at 103000 miles. At 214000 or 111000 miles on the rebuilt transmission that transmission is gone! Someone should start looking at a class action suit against transmission manufactures or those that rebuild them! I do believe there are more transmission problems that are not reported.

- , Apple Valley, MN, USA

Sep 202015

Escape XLT V6

We bought our 2006 Ford Escape new and have diligently maintained it. Since then we've had to pay for several major repairs/replacements, including the back axle (just under $2000) and the transmission ($4200). We also have an annoying 4WD indicator light that blinks 10 times every minute or so -- apparently, this is linked to a faulty solenoid that controls torque in one of the rear wheels. Although this issue does not affect our normal city driving, it will cost $3500 to repair the solenoid and stop the indicator light from blinking. We've chosen to deal with the annoying indicator light. Bottom line: our 2006 Ford Escape is an unreliable car that has cost us thousands of dollars to maintain. We will not be buying a Ford ever again.

- , Vancouver, Canada

Jun 102015

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Car randomly lost ability to accelerate. Driving late at night with two young children in car. Pulled over, restarted car and it limped forward enough to slowly pick up my wife from work. Creeped it home in first gear and called a tow truck to tow it to our trusted mechanic. Told total catastrophic transmission failure. Complete rebuild took over a week in the shop and upgraded all transmission internal parts with total bill just over $5300 CDN. I loved this car but this one fix cost almost half of what I paid for it 6 or 7 years ago. Will be consulting Car Complaints before next purchase. Ford should be on the hook for the amount of failures this Car has with it's transmissions.

- , Kelowna, BC, Canada

Apr 202014

Escape LX 3.0L

Me and my son were coming home from church Easter Sunday, had stopped by the store to get detail. Engine sputtered and then gave out. The car just started acting up that week and we had made an appt with dealership. Mechanics have replaced engine, coils, computer and are looking at the wiring now...any help would be appreciated.

Update from Jul 18, 2015: I need to backtrack on my mileage. The proper mileage on our vehicle is 167,000. Mechanics are looking into replacing the "wiring harness" on our vehicle. Never heard of it. If this doesn't solve the problem, we are out of a second vehicle with a worthless title. What are my options...anyone?

- , Jesup, GA, USA

Mar 122015

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Ok everyone, I could be saving you money. I am going to make this simple. Transmission sounded and felt like it was going out..at 63,000 miles I was pissed. 2nd gear took forever to shift, finally shifts around 25 AFTER I lift off of the gas. Took it to Ford, they said a new transmission. pulled codes P0732 and P0734. 2nd and 4th gear were "out". After looking through several resources I discovered it was the 2/4 band that fails often in these CD4E transmissions. Get it checked out by a transmission specialist. It can be fixed without going IN the transmission as well. $850 bucks vs. $5000. Make the call. I hope I helped!!!

- , Marshall, MO, USA

Feb 112015

Escape XLS 2.3L 4 cyl

I've had a Ford in my driveway since 1984. That's 30 years. Between my immediate family and I, we own 4, Ford's right now! We will never purchase another Ford for as long as we live and she's 19 (my daughter)", and the Service Manager (Automation Ford) and I, shook hands on it. "I'm sorry Sir. It's not under warranty" Broken record.

The truck has 83,000 miles and the clutch slave cylinder ($17.99 on Toyota Corolla) has failed and is mounted INSIDE the transmission. Ford's price for the part, $183.00. Which does not include the labor to remove the transmission and loosen the 3 bolts to replace the part. Usually, if a clutch slave cylinder fails, it's 2 bolts, a hydraulic line and 20 minutes. Ford: remove the front wheels, remove, CV joints, drive axles, motor mounts, external oil filter unit, starter, lower engine, remove the transmission, to loosen 3 bolts. But, of course, now because brake fluid has dispersed through out the inner transmission (usually an external issue), the clutch needs to be replaced (an additional $240.00).

I failed to mention that the truck was purchased at Automation Ford and up to this occurrence, all the maintenance was performed at Automation Ford, including oil changes. "We will never purchase another Ford... and she's 19". 2006 Ford Escape, 83,000 miles.

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Jan 042015

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Thought I gave my son a good vehicle, but the transmission quit working on the way home from work, in the middle of the night in single digit temperatures. It only had 64,000 miles on it. I can't believe the CRAP Ford is putting out. Never again will I buy a Ford.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Dec 202014

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

Bought the vehicle second-hand late-January of 2014 with 198,000 km, everything was in really good condition. But since then, we had issues every two to three months (cracked front brake line, exhaust pipe from manifold to cat converter replacement due to rust, brakes). One of the bigger issues was the rear passenger side shock, which broke and it was banging up against the wheel well. This issue, from my research, was a big issue on many Ford Escapes, yet Ford never made any recalls for that problem.

In mid-December of 2014, we started having shifting issues. The transmission started to slip once a week. We took it to our mechanic and we were basically told that the transmission was on its way out. Thinking I had at least a month or two left, we were thinking about selling it before it completely failed. A week after the new year of 2015, the transmission was getting worse by the day, and by the end of the week, it was completely shot. I was stuck in the middle of the road with no gears besides reverse.

I did some research on it once again, and it's apparently a common problem with MANY Escapes, and Ford won't own up to the problem and do a proper recall. Obviously pissed of about it.

I've always loved Fords; I've owned an 89 Mustang, driven a 97 Mustang, and worked on advertising and marketing materials for Ford, so I stood by Ford for a big chunk of my younger and recent life. After owning this lemon though, and hearing the gazillions of complaints on transmission and other issues, this will be my last Ford I'll own.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Oct 172014

Escape Limited V6

On Rte.81 late Friday afternoon. Stopped for gas, got back on highway, transmission died. Pulled to the side of highway, shut engine off and waited a few minutes. Started back up and got back on highway. Transmission died again, pulled off highway.

Kudos to AAA.

This occurred with no previous warning or indication. Nothing showed up on the car's self diagnoses screen after the transmission first died. 600 miles from home, just lucky the car shut down in a relatively safe place.

I liked this car for it's power, steering radius and all wheel drive. Was confident with it, but now really disappointed. I don't think this should happen without warning, even after 126,000 miles.

Mechanic reported that this is known to occur because of an undersized cooling unit for the transmission fluid.Transmission had blown seals.

Are there any recalls, etc. about this particular transmission?

- , Ware Shoals, SC, USA

Dec 192014

Escape

75000 miles on my Escape and transmission failed. With all the people out there having this same problem why is Ford not fixing this or a class action law suite not initiated?

- , Meridian, ID, USA

Sep 202014

Escape V6

Another one gone at 77k. All maintenance done on time. No warning. Just the O/D light comes on then it looses drive. This could be the most disposable car since the Chevy Vega.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 202014

Escape

Ford cars suck, if I would have known I was going to be replacing the transmission, I would have never got the darn thing. Ford just needs to suck it up and put on their big boy undies and do a recall or a transmission failure may result in a very bad accident, then maybe when they're sued for not doing a recall on ford escapes' transmission it may be too late.

My next car will not be a ford. And I will make sure all friends and family members know ford escapes suck.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042014

Escape V6

This the 3rd time my transmission has gone out. I bought the vehicle new for myself, then gave it to my daughter who is in college. I'm furious that this has not been recalled by Ford. It's obviously a major issue. My mechanic says he has had to fix many, many Escapes with transmission issues. We have bought strictly Ford vehicles for 25 years but we are now rethinking our loyalty.

- , Palm City, FL, USA

Sep 252014

Escape XLT V6

I am very disappointed in my Escape not even having 80,000 miles on it and having such a problem. I love my Escape but hating it right now. with my husband fighting cancer and having to make a lot of trips daily to the doctor. I DID NOT need this. But really it isn't worth me typing this and taking the time. It isn't like I am going to get a car over it. I basically am just wasting my time...

- , Shippensburg, PA, USA

May 052014

Escape XLT V6

Transmission failed to shift into 3rd gear.

Would rev and fall into neutral. After allowing the car to slow, was able to keep it in 2nd gear and limp to the dealer.

Dealer took 2 days to come up with no definitive diagnosis. Estimated repair cost was nearly $5000 and two days to put in a new transmission. Of course, they were all too happy to show me new vehicles that they could get me for an excellent price. Right.

Left the dealer and limped the car to a 3rd party transmission shop. Several internal components had failed, including two gear sets, the pump and torque converter. Repair shop suggested that the repeated 'test drives' that the dealer performed were unnecessary and likely caused the pump failure.

After almost 1 week in the shop (due to a lack of parts supply), getting a re-manufactured replacement, for all components. Parts appear difficult to source, because of a lack of availability, caused a significant delay in the repair work.

Exorbitant cost, frustrated with a second transmission repair, at just over 150k kilometers.

Without a working transmission, residual value of the vehicle drops to zero. Fixing, then flipping this vehicle, with the warranted repair work.

- , Brampton, ON, canada