9.2

$3,079.00

1. have to replace transmission (37 reports)
  2. replace transmission (10 reports)
  4. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
  5. shove it up Ford's @$$ (1 reports)
2006 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 252014

Escape XLT V6

I am very disappointed in my Escape not even having 80,000 miles on it and having such a problem. I love my Escape but hating it right now. with my husband fighting cancer and having to make a lot of trips daily to the doctor. I DID NOT need this. But really it isn't worth me typing this and taking the time. It isn't like I am going to get a car over it. I basically am just wasting my time...

- , Shippensburg, PA, USA

Apr 262014

Escape 4 Cl

It's Saturday Afternoon in April 2014 and I'm on my way to get my dogs nails trimmed at the groomers, which is less than 7 miles from my house. After 6 miles (almost there...), my Escape made a horrible noise and did not accelerate. I decided to pull over into a church and check things out. Turned the car off and gave it a few minutes before starting again. Put the automatic in drive and it started to go again. Thinking it was nothing, I pulled out of the church onto the road only to find that my Escape would not accelerate again. I coasted to the next street and decided to turn on the next street to again check what was going on. With no acceleration, it could have been catastrophic, but I made it safely. I turned the Escape off once again and decided this wasn't good, so I called my family to share that I'm having car troubles. With no answer, I decided to try it one last time. Again, it went into drive until I tried to turn around and then again stuck in the middle of a residential road. Good thing one of the residents in the neighborhood helped push me to the side of the road. At the end of the day, I had to have the Escape towed to a transmission shop. After it was looked at, they said the damage was critical, requiring the need for a rebuilt transmission. Cost: $2,750. Keep in mind I only have 74K miles on the car being the original owner. I've always maintenance my car over the 8 years I've owned it. Now, it's been 3 months since the transmission was fully rebuilt (1 year warranty) and now have engine failure (yes...you heard correct!). Oil was changed right after the transmission was rebuilt and it hadn't hit the mileage for an oil change just yet. Just over two weeks ago, as my son was driving it, the car began making noises. After he pulled over, it was determined to be low on oil (4 quarts low) and the oil light never came on or as my dad says "the dummy light". Anonymous oil company was the last to touch my car and they had it towed to a mechanic who said "Inspection conclusion is the engine consumed the oil over the life of the oil change (less than 3000 miles). Internal engine damage has occurred." They also say pictures show that the bottom of the vehicle is dry and a larger leak is coming from the differential area. I'm no mechanic, but I've never been told I was low on oil and I always go to the same place to get my oil changed. How is it possible that the Escape would consume this oil when it's never done it in the past. I could understand if it was a little lower than normal, but no oil/1quart....there's something wrong with this". Furthermore, we consulted with the transmission guy who would have alerted us to a leakage in the differential while completely rebuilding my transmission. So, mechanic who gave this assessment on behalf of anonymous oil change company, we too will get our own assessment. The oil plug was found to be hand tight when we looked at it at home. The anonymous oil company did not seal the plug. And no oil is sitting in my driveway, so what happened to it.

- , Shoreline, WA, USA

Jan 042014

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Very disappointing that this could happen on a FORD with no warranty on a major part of the vehicle. Caused lots of frustration for a single mom and two children to have no vehicle for a couple of months (finance).

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Escape 4 Banger

2006 Ford Escape, grandfather's old car before he passed away. This car has a replacement tranny already through Ford. Now it needs it again! This car has had the up most care. Always maintained and never abused. Ford just talked to me like I'm an idiot and told me it's an older car now, expect issues. Really!?

I have a 1995 Saturn with close to 300k miles on the original engine and tranny and never have any issues. SO F U FORD! I WILL NEVER OWN ONE OF YOUR PIECES OF SH*T AGAIN, AND I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT YOUR SH*T VEHICLES AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 302014

Escape

Have a 2006 Ford Escape with less than 70,000 and I already need a new transmission. This is absolutely not acceptable. I was at a light and the car just died. Had to have it towed home. Ford needs to fix these problems. We should not have to put out of our pocket all this money. I have no car, and no money to fix this. I will never purchase a ford again. Calling them up to complain. Probably won't get me anywhere but I don't care. Ford needs to take responsibility for this problem NOW....

- , Philadelphia, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

Apr 212014

Escape

$3500.00 to fix my transmission. Really? I am just a few payments away from paying it off and of course the warranty has expired. This is not OK. How does this happen. I can't afford this type of repair. Please Ford, do a recall on this. I have always owned a Ford and I love my escape but if this is how things happen I will not own another. Stand behind your vehicles and help the people who have been your loyal customers. Saying prayers this will problem will be answered.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Mar 102014

Escape V4

Please call ford about escapes transmission please we need the recall

- , augusta, GA, USA

Jan 112014

Escape

I bought this car because it was in good shape and I needed a second vehicle due to issues with my Oldsmobile, I didn't want to be without a backup vehicle. My father is in his 90s and I need to be able to get him to his appts and to the store comfortably. The transmission locked up on me and now I find out the a used transmission will cost me $1,650 and a new one will be $2,535 where on earth am I supposed to get that kind of money? If Ford thinks I am rich they are nuts. Send my some money and I will get it fixed. I think I will have to sell it before it goes out again. I can't afford this crap.

- , Berwick, PA, USA

Apr 092012

Escape

Add me to the list of Ford Escape oweners that had to replace their trans with low miles. 60,400 miles and only 6 years old. Well taken care of as far as maintenance goes. Just had entire car checked in February. Sorry Ford, I'm telling anyone who will listen to purchase elsewhere. The Web is a powerful thing!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 132012

Escape

only 38,000 miles on a 2006 ford escape and the transmission just "went" - stopped at a stop light, couldn't go forward or accelerate. Undriveable. Ford says it's out of warranty - too bad. It will cost $4,000 to replace the transmission.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Escape XLT V6

2006 Ford Escape V6 XLT have always maintained service and replaced fluids and filters. Was surprised to learn then with just 85k miles was having problems after it was started and warmed up would not shift into reverse gear. Drive gear not a problem, reverse only. Took to Ford dealer in Melbourne FL, Kelly Ford, mechanic said he needed 6 hours and $600 just to tear down transmission to find out what the problem is then he wanted additional money to replace the entire transmission. After seeing all the posts on this board about the same problem I'm surprised Ford won't acknowledge problems with this make/model about transmission problems. Instead, dealers are taking $3,000 for repairs for something that is fundamentally a design flaw. This is the last American car I will ever buy.

- , Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Feb 082013

Escape XLT V6

I have been a Ford owner for 40 years and my 2006 escape will be the LAST after dealing with a trans. replacement.

- , Freedom, PA, USA

May 282013

Escape 3.0

This piece of sh*t broke down with my wife and children 150 miles from our home after we just got it out of shop for routine maintenance 2 days prior. I have always owned a ford but after talkin to them about my problem they just talked to me like an ass. maybe they forgot about the people who buy their vehicles. after talkin with them they act like it was all my fault. these sorry bunch of people how quickly they forgot we are the reason they got bailed out recall this piece of sh*t

- , Portsmouth, OH, USA

Oct 012011

Escape 2.3L

Vehicle would shut off every time I would come to a stop. I would start it back up and drive off only to have it shut off again when I came to a stop. After getting it towed to the garage, they had to replace the torque convertor and rebuild the trans. This vehicle had about 46,000 miles on the odometer. I now have about 89,000 miles on the odometer and the transmission is acting up again. This time its slipping when going into reverse. Once this vehicle is repaired, I am getting rid of it and never buying a Ford again. I agree, this should be covered under a recall. Transmissions with very low miles and under normal use should not go out.

- , Crestview, FL, USA

Mar 192013

Escape 3.0L

I HAVE A 2006 ESCAPE WITH 55,000 MILES. SHOULD NOT NEED A NEW TRANS LET ALONE HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A RECALL PROBLEM. FLUID LEVEL AND COLOR WERE OK. NO REASON FOR THE TRANS TO STOP WORKING OTHER THAN FAULTY WORKMANSHIP.

- , Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 142012

Escape LX

this is the 3rd time we had the transmission go out! ready to get rid of this piece of crap! sounds like a lemon to me!!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 152012

Escape XLT V6

I have e a 2006 Ford Escape. I was relocating from PA to FL. We made it to Tampa and as we turned into the hotel the car stopped and would not engage and go forward. I could not believe the transmission went. It cost 3400 to fix. I went online and saw the many complaints about the same issue and can not believe Ford is not doing anything about it. I have been a loyal Ford driver but I may change my mind when I buy a new car. So very disappointed.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 222012

Escape

I was driving home from work and out of nowhere the car made a whining sound and the car's momentum stopped. I shut the car off for about 2 minutes thinking it had somehow overheated. When I started it back up it engaged into drive and I went about 30 feet and the same thing happened. I coasted to a side street and had to call a tow truck. Luckily, I had a case of cold beer in the back that I had just bought. So there I was sitting on the side of the road with my case of beer and no car. Now the dealer says my transmission is shot, and my ABS is broke. I just bought this Escape last August and loved it --- until now!!!!!

- , Tonawanda, New York, USA

Mar 052012

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

With less than 118,000 kms (73,350 miles) the transmission had to be replaced at a total cost of 3,329.00. Conveniently for Ford, just after the 100,000km warranty. That is a fairly severe problem to have at such low kms and judging by the amount of similar complaints it is directly representative of Fords take on quality for the 2006 Escape.

- , FREDERICTON, New Brunswick, canada

Apr 082010

Escape 4 cyl

I was driving my SUV when I stopped at the store and then it wouldn't work any more. There were no signs that anything was wrong with it. It worked perfect before that. I had to have the transmission replaced.

- , hoyt, New Brunswick, canada