2009 Ford Escape body / paint problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jul 012016

2009 Ford Escape liftgate glass hinges have excessive corrosion and the right hinge has broken off and crumbled at the center of the hinge. This occurred at 150,000 miles. This occurred when about to drive off after leaving a shopping plaza. The window then is only supported by one hinge, and the lift support bars.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Sep 102014

Premature rust above the passenger side rear wheel well. I have taken very good care of this car and have waxed it on a regular schedule but yet the rust has become a problem due to a manufacturing/design defect. (white Ford Escape).

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jan 162013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that water leaked through the rear window and underneath the dashboard. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Greensburg, IN, USA

Jul 102014

Escape 6-cyl

There is a known throttle body issue with the Ford Escape 2009, where the truck goes into "limp mode" indicated by an illuminated wrench. I had just taken it in for this issue, Ford only did the recalibration and did not replace the defective throttle body. The next day while in the parking lot at my work, the vehicle went into "wrench mode" or "enhanced limp mode (since the recalibration)" and lurched into a cement pillar causing severe damage to the front right side of my vehicle. Damage was ~$5K, rental car $500, deductible $100, higher insurance, structural damage to the vehicle (permanent loss of value).

- Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was merging off of an exit ramp. I slowed down so I can enter traffic, and then when I accelerated, the car hesitated/lagged before surging me forward. This problem occurs often and has almost caused an accident. Sometimes it will happen when I'm completely stopped and then accelerate, or going up a hill.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 152011

Escape 6-cyl

The rear hatch on my 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4X4 finally quit opening. I have had the vehicle into the dealer for numerous issues and always mentioned a problem with the rear hatch not always opening but they could never duplicate the problem. I am now 5000 miles out of the bumper to bumper warranty and the hatch will not open. It used to 'hang up and not open on occasion, but now appears to be permanent. When I called my dealer they told me it was out of warranty and they had other customers that had the same problem, unfortunately, those customers paid between $250 and $700 to have it fixed. I contacted Ford directly requesting they repair the lift gate since it had been reported when originally under warranty, only to be advised to pay to have it repaired as it is now out of warranty, and save my receipts in case there ever is a recall. (I find this statement interesting because it means they are aware of the problem). The only latch on the lift gate is a button above the license plate, there is no latch inside the vehicle or glove compartment that would allow you to manually open it. I consider this a huge safety concern.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA