1.2

2009 Ford Escape brakes problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Nov 182016

Escape

I am writing to you to inform you on the safety condition of the 2009 Ford Escape. The number 1 problem is hard to steer the wheel when driving. Number 2 problem is the engine shuts off when turning corners while driving. The date it happen was Friday Nov. 18, 2016.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 292016

Escape

Throttle body failed, RPM up and down. Lost power when driving. Repalced a new one from dealership and it does not last for one year. Car only 99000 miles right now. New throttle body lasts 1290 miles and failed.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Sep 062015

Escape

I have a 2009ford Escape purchased used in May 2014. Last night when driving home my car stalled as if it were not getting gas. We were almost hit by another car because of this. I called Ford this morning and they say they "cannot" do anything because the window to get them fixed ended January 2015. It infuriates me that Ford and NHTSA is aware there is a problem but my children and I could have been killed because they did not issue a "true recall" and now refuses to do anything to correct the problem. This is not acceptable!!?!

- Reagan, TN, USA

Aug 012015

Escape

When driving the traction control light, brake light, and ABS light came on. These light will not go out. Taking it to a mechanic, they tell me it is the ABS module. The test cost $100. To replace the module will cost $1395. Should this not be a warranted item for safety? the shop told me that the ABS and traction control will not work until the module is replaced.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Sep 242014

Escape

Vehicle has had issues with the dashboard gauges locking up while driving, took to Ford dealership and they could not identify cause of issue. If I hit the dash it gauges would start to work again. When gauges were not working, A/C would stop working as well. Most concerning is the last two days my car has stopped accelerating while driving it, I can put the gas all the way to the floor and it still won't accelerate. During that time A/C stops blowing cool air and if I apply my brakes the entire car will start to shake as if it is going to die. I turn off the car and restart it and it runs fine, however it does take a sec longer to turn over when I start it at that point. I am taking it to have it looked at today. I have had multiple repairs to this vehicle pertaining to the sensors.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Sep 202014

Escape

Vehicle stalled about 2 weeks ago. Oil change light and low tire pressure light came on a week later. Had maintenance done a week later. I was not notified about any recalls. Noticed that the steering wheel was really loose after rotate and balance was done. Took car to dealership and reported issue with steering. Dealership stated that it may need alignment but could not do service until next week. Put gas in car and vehicle stalled. Battery and oil light came on. After a few more times was able to get it started. Stalled again stalled again at stop light. Made it to auto parts shop and put fuel injection fluid in tank. Car stalled. Finally started again. Made it to repair shop. Did diagnostic tests no codes reported. They examined the fuel and it was good. They guessed that the fuel pump may need replacing. I researched recalls on my VIN and found that there are 2 recalls on the vehicle that were never performed. Purchased vehicle in May. Never received recall notices. Repair shops and dealerships are not checking for recalls when diagnosing problems.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 082014

Escape

My family were returning from vacation when the car decelerated with no warning. We were on the interstate and we were inches from being rear ended by the upcoming traffic. I have been told the issue is with the throttle body and that it is not being recalled because you can still drive it. How about you tell that to my terrified girls (ages 6 and under) that it is safe to have cars and trucks flying past you at 70 mph and you can't accelerate to move out of the way quick enough. A month later, the same thing happened to my wife returning from work. That's twice in 2 months. We have only the one car and have not been on vacation for fear of the car decelerating. I guess instead of being in the business of preventing accidents, people have to die first before anything will be done to protect consumers.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the steering wheel locks up and hard to turn I have to pull over and turn the ignition off and turn back on. Couple of times it happens on the expressway/as well as street driving. It's happening very often now. While driving the whole truck was shaking, shaking real bad...

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jul 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Came off freeway on multiple occasions after doing 70 mph. Stopped. Traffic was clear. Went to accelerate and severe hesitation. Have also had many times where accelerating with vehicle and it will hesitate and then surge.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Feb 112013

Escape

Vehicle stalled when attempting to accelerate after stopping at a light. Vehicle would move approximately 3 mph. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in the display area. Drove (very slowly) vehicle into a parking lot. Shut off vehicle, restarted it, and did not get engine "rev" when depressing gas pedal. Approximately 30 minutes later, the vehicle started and operated normally. Had vehicle towed to repair shop (didn't trust it to drive it). Shop inspected the vehicle in a number of ways the next day and could not reproduce or identify the problem. They said that the on-board event recorder did not record an event. That was the first incident. The 2nd and 3rd incidents occurred today, April 24 2013. Vehicle again stalled while attempting to accelerate at an intersection. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in display area. Pulled into a parking lot, shut off vehicle, and then it started again and ran. About 2 minutes later, the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 40 mph. Again pulled off the main road and restarted the vehicle. Was able to drive it the remaining 3-5 minutes to get home.

- Murphy, TX, USA