2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Jun 042010

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while the vehicle was in the park position, the steering wheel locked and would not turn left or right. The vehicle was shut off and when restarting the following day and the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering column was replaced. The failure and current mileages were 23,389.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Aug 032009

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. He purchased the vehicle new and within the first week while driving out of the drive way he noticed that when he turned the steering to the right there was a loud noise as if metal hitting against metal. He took the vehicle to the dealer several times. The dealer stated that nothing was wrong with the steering. The dealer stated because the vehicle is black and it is warm, that is why he was hearing that noise. However the contact took the vehicle back to the dealer. The dealer replaced several parts. He doesn't know the name of the parts that were replaced; however the failure was not corrected. The dealer ordered an engineer to inspect the vehicle. The engineer's investigation concluded that the noise was normal. He contacted the manufacturer.the manufacturer stated that the dealer was an independent dealer therefore they could not assist him. The failure mileage was 1,356 and the current mileage was 13,200.

- Penbrook Pines, FL, USA

Jul 132009

2009 Ford Escape (rental car) I received this new rental car from a major rental car company at the seattle/Tacoma airport with only with 83 miles on the odometer. I rented the car on approximately 7-7-09. On 7-13-09, with approximately 1,100 miles on it, the front (passenger side) wheel separated from the lower control arm (I believe that is what it is called). I do know it came off the spindle. My wife and children were on vacation with me when the incident occurred. I had exited the highway and near the end of the exit lane, I was driving around a sharp, left hand, banked, hairpin corner that crosses over the highway. The exit lane was extremely long and I believe I was going about 20-25 miles per hour, when the wheel separated halfway through the hairpin turn. I heard a clunk clunk and the tire skidding. It was hard to keep the Ford Escape from leaving the roadway on the right, but because of my low speed, I was able to move over to the shoulder under control. I am extremely thankful the wheel did not separate from the chassis when we were traveling at 70 mph on the highway. There were no injuries and no damage to the fender or fender well and from what I could see no damage to the wheel. It looked like a bolt was missing from the collar (I don't know what you call it) that surrounds the spindle. Don't these bolts have cotter pins? the tire went flat after three hours. The policeman asked me if I had run over something. I didn't think so, but we walked the roadway before the skidmarks anyway. Neither the policeman nor I found anything. I never abused the rental car. I have pictures.

- Aurora, CO, USA