2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Feb 032013

Escape 6-cyl

On the first incident date my wife started the car and the steering wouldn't move. She turned off the car and re-started and the steering was working again. Then two days later I was driving and the steering wheel was jerking around a little, feeling like it was sticking then releasing.the movement was occurring in both directions. I then stopped and turned off the car for a period of time. When I restarted the steering was very, very hard to move. I turned off the vehicle and restarted, the steering was easier, but there was noticeable movement in the wheel while still parked. I took the vehicle to my local Ford dealer and they were well aware of the problem. The service rep stated that it would require a steering column replacement to fix for approx $1500. I was quit surprised that the service rep was so familiar with the problem until in talking with the rep. They stated that they had another Escape in their service dept. And that vehicle the electronic power steering had failed and it requires a new steering column also. The rep. Also eluded to it as being a fairly common problem. (not that you care but it's not even covered by the extended warranty I paid so dearly for).

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Dec 172012

Escape 4-cyl

When I'm driving, the power steering suddenly shuts down and it becomes very difficult to steer. Re-staring the vehicle fixes the problem.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Power steering failed while driving, restarting car temporarily fixes problem. Has happened multiple times in the past week. Doesn't matter if car is cold or warm, and doesn't matter if it is shut off for a few seconds or longer for the problem to correct itself. Effect is as if there's no power steering, difficult to maneuver. (I understand that it's not actually power steering, there's no fluid, but I don't know what else to call it.) steering wheel has started to rattle and vibrate while idling. Dealership said computer sensor was out of calibration, re-calibrated, but it did not fix the problem. They say needs whole new steering column, a $1500 fix. Got a second opinion from other repair shop, same conclusion. I keep up on all maintenance and have never had a repair on this vehicle before. I'm surprised there's not a recall on this problem as I've read numerous report of the same problem online.

- Sainte Genevieve, MO, USA

Jan 192013

Escape

First occurance was while at idle the wheel wouldn't turn without extreme pressure. Now, 1/24/2013 the power assist goes in and out with no warning. The vehicle steering comes close to locking up but doesn't actually get there.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 232013

Escape

The vehicle is having intermittent power steering loss. Power steering is failing during transit. Sterring wheel is vibrating and making loud noises.

- Newaygo, MI, USA

Oct 132012

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after entering highway on dark rainy evening, with no fore warning, car began to shake and lose power. Was able to pull to side of highway. Even though I was pressing on the gas, car would not go forward. Wrench light was illuminated on the dashboard. Called for assistance. When help arrived they suggested I turn off vehicle. When I turned back on, car was fine. The next day, with no warning, same thing occurs on neighborhood road. When we took to Ford dealer today, the problem did not repeat so they have no repair code. This is a very dangerous situation....could lead to accident on highway...I have to drive 17 miles to work on highway and I am scared.

- Westlake, OH, USA

May 262012

Escape 6-cyl

This past winter the drivers side exit shaft seal failed. The transmission was serviced by our local Ford dealer. Upon return my wife noted the steering cocked to the left slightly but no other issues, I told her that they probable were off a tooth on the pitman arm and that she needed to take it back, she had not. The day in question was the first time that I had witnessed the malfunction. I had made a turn off a secondary street to enter the highway. It was about a 90 degree turn, and when I exited the turn, the steering wheel was still at a 45 degree angle off neutral. It stayed this way for a few seconds as I accelerated down the on ramp, then violently returned to neutral. I pulled off to the shoulder and checked to see what happened. This happened two more times that day and the following day. I made several 90 degree turns to see if I could duplicate the issue. My wife let me know that this had happened to her, usually when she was parking the car at school. When she started the vehicle, the wheel would return to normal. It is currently at the dealership for this issue. I was told this morning that there are parts on order for the steering gear and steering position sensor. When we returned home, we were in ft worth Texas for the weekend in question, I called the dealer and was told they had seen this a few times but that it was okay to drive the vehicle until it was taken in for service. I wanted to make sure and notify the NHTSA.

- Clovis, NM, USA

Nov 202010

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that when driving, the steering wheel locked. The contact replaced the steering column twice but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired a third time and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The current mileage was approximately 176,000 and the failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Elmherst, NY, USA

Mar 032011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On Saturday, March 26, 2011 I noticed the steering wheel shaking as my 2009 Ford Escape idled. This 'shaking' is random; it doesn't occur all the time. Since around the beginning of March, there have been times that, when I start the vehicle, the power steering freezes. To rectify it, I shut off the vehicle, waited a few moments, re-started it and power steering was restored. One time however, the 'freezing' occurred when I turned a corner. On March 29 the power steering 'froze' again. I turned the vehicle off and then on again a couple of times to restore power steering but it was still absent. I drove about 60 miles with no power steering. I took the vehicle in to the local Ford dealership March 30 and was told I need a new steering column, at a cost of $1200 for parts alone. I was also told in the interim, between now and when it is repaired it is safe to drive. My 2009 Ford Escape has been well-driven for the two and a half years I've had it, with no collisions, etc. That may have compromised it's quality and performance.

- Manning, 00, USA

Jul 302010

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The vehicle was parked in a gravel driveway, the contact exited the vehicle with the engine running and the gear selector shifted in the neutral position. Unexpectedly, the vehicle rolled 50 feet approximately between 10 -15 mph and struck a wooden fence post causing the vehicle to stop. The contact then entered the vehicle and observed that the steering wheel was spinning 360 degrees. The engine was turned off. A mechanic stated that the steering column detached from the base and the steering wheel clock spring emerged through the driver side windshield. In addition, the airbags failed to deploy. The front bumper sustained minor damage. There was no police report filed. The vehicle was taken to an auto body repiar shop and repaired for the damages. A field engineer investigated the vehicle and the contact was waiting on the outcome of the investigation. The failure mileage was 27,850. Updated 01/24/11 updated 04.18.11

- Aroda, VA, USA

Jun 042010

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while the vehicle was in the park position, the steering wheel locked and would not turn left or right. The vehicle was shut off and when restarting the following day and the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering column was replaced. The failure and current mileages were 23,389.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Aug 032009

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. He purchased the vehicle new and within the first week while driving out of the drive way he noticed that when he turned the steering to the right there was a loud noise as if metal hitting against metal. He took the vehicle to the dealer several times. The dealer stated that nothing was wrong with the steering. The dealer stated because the vehicle is black and it is warm, that is why he was hearing that noise. However the contact took the vehicle back to the dealer. The dealer replaced several parts. He doesn't know the name of the parts that were replaced; however the failure was not corrected. The dealer ordered an engineer to inspect the vehicle. The engineer's investigation concluded that the noise was normal. He contacted the manufacturer.the manufacturer stated that the dealer was an independent dealer therefore they could not assist him. The failure mileage was 1,356 and the current mileage was 13,200.

- Penbrook Pines, FL, USA

Jul 132009

Escape

2009 Ford Escape (rental car) I received this new rental car from a major rental car company at the seattle/Tacoma airport with only with 83 miles on the odometer. I rented the car on approximately 7-7-09. On 7-13-09, with approximately 1,100 miles on it, the front (passenger side) wheel separated from the lower control arm (I believe that is what it is called). I do know it came off the spindle. My wife and children were on vacation with me when the incident occurred. I had exited the highway and near the end of the exit lane, I was driving around a sharp, left hand, banked, hairpin corner that crosses over the highway. The exit lane was extremely long and I believe I was going about 20-25 miles per hour, when the wheel separated halfway through the hairpin turn. I heard a clunk clunk and the tire skidding. It was hard to keep the Ford Escape from leaving the roadway on the right, but because of my low speed, I was able to move over to the shoulder under control. I am extremely thankful the wheel did not separate from the chassis when we were traveling at 70 mph on the highway. There were no injuries and no damage to the fender or fender well and from what I could see no damage to the wheel. It looked like a bolt was missing from the collar (I don't know what you call it) that surrounds the spindle. Don't these bolts have cotter pins? the tire went flat after three hours. The policeman asked me if I had run over something. I didn't think so, but we walked the roadway before the skidmarks anyway. Neither the policeman nor I found anything. I never abused the rental car. I have pictures.

- Aurora, CO, USA