2011 Ford Escape seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Oct 302016

Escape

My wife was in a accident involving her 2011 Ford Escape. She was hit in the front end by another vehicle and her car was totaled. Her air bag didn't deploy!! she was beat up and bruised quite a bit but was lucky to not have any broken bones. I believe that if either vehicle were traveling faster than they were she might had been severely injured if not killed. I sent Ford the info including the VIN number 3 days ago and have not had a reply. Do you think this was an anomaly or have you heard other Ford Escapes with the same issue?? my wife had stopped at a stop sign and said she looked both ways then proceeded to pull making a left turn when the other vehicle approached her from her left and struck her in the front end on an angle. The entire front grill and bumper were both knocked off pushing the radiator into the engine. My wife was cited for failure to yield.

- Fishersville, VA, USA

Jan 252016

Escape

Occupant control module in passenger seat is faulty. I am told that the passenger airbag or all airbags may or may not inflate in a collision. There are no known recalls for this issue. There was no known damage or incident that caused this system to fail. It occurred slowly over several months and eventually quit completely. The passenger and driver airbag light comes on and stayed on permanently after several seconds of the car's ignition being on or the car engine running. The invoice from the diagnostic is attached.

- Deshler, OH, USA

Jul 242015

Escape

Driving down a city street road at night 55 mph a deer jumped from side of the road to cross hit the deer had to pull over car started smoking radiator fluid everywhere the car was totaled. The air bags never deployed. I was hurt and I had 4 passenger, all were wearing seatbelts including myself. I didn't file a police report as I figured it was a deer what are they going to do arrest the deer. I could not afford the repairs or payments for the vehicle anymore so I voluntary gave back my vehicle to the company.

- Holly, MI, USA

Oct 212015

Escape

The contact owned a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the contact became distracted and crashed into the rear quarter panel of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact and the front passenger sustained minor bruises that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,400.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Oct 302014

Escape

I investigated a traffic collision involving a 2011 Ford Escape that sustained significant front end damage during the event. The airbags failed to deploy during the collision after the vehicle sustained damage to the entire front bumper area to include the buckling of the hood area. I have photographs of the vehicle damage I can E-mail showing the vehicle and damage sustained. Injuries were incurred from parties in both vehicles (2 car collision). Please contact me at the madera police department for further information regarding this incident and my concern for the airbags failing to deploy...updated 10/15/15

- Madera , CA, USA

May 042015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the entire instrumental panel failed. As a result, the contact crashed into the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a mild concussion and bruises to the body that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 7/1/15 the consumer stated while driving the lights flashed, ignition system stalled, brakes failed, and the steering locked up. Updated 9/15/2015

- Woodland Hill, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While making a left turn at 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The driver side air bag deployed but failed to inflate and the side air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head injuries and the rear passenger side passenger sustained head injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Dec 202014

Escape 4-cyl

I just got off the freeway on ramp and slowed for traffic. Traffic just started to go so, I just took my foot of the brake and slowly proceeded to move, when out of nowhere I was thrown forward and out of my seat. The violent impact pushed my vehicle into a truck in front of me, that impact caused me to fly backwards and my driver's seat broke. My concern is that the airbags didn't go off and my seat broke causing injury. The seat should have never broke.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Dec 092014

Escape

My fiance was driving my Escape and had an accident she rearended a truck and none of the airbags went off and the motor was pushed all the way back to the firewall.

- Sterling, MI, USA

Jul 032014

Escape 4-cyl

The vehicle was taken into a Ford dealership to be serviced and after that the control module for the airbags went out. The part had to be ordered and while we were on vacation the steering began locking up and the traction control lights began showing disabled. Also, the car began saying to resync something because the tire pressure was low when it was just fine. After returning from vacation and the steering column totally locking up several times, the dealership now tells us that additional control modules are out. When the steering locks it requires stopping no matter where you are at and turning off the vehicle to reset and then starting it again. This probably happened a dozen or more times on busy highways. This vehicle is roughly three years old and they can't even say why the modules are continuing to go out and if fixing them will even solve the problem. The dealership also indicated that the traction control issue could cause the vehicle to roll on curvy roads. I spoke with customer service and they said to bad, this is not on their list of items that they have to fix. They will let engineering know but no guarantee that they will even respond to this issue. Will never buy a Ford again in this case as this is going to cost roughly $2500 - $3500 to fix and nothing to say it won't go out again. I have never had an electronic control module go out on any other vehicle let alone after 3 years and Ford is not helpful.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 212013

Escape 6-cyl

2011 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to air bag and seat failure. The consumer stated when she was rear ended, her head flew forward and hit the steering wheel with her mouth, then flew backward, where the back of the seat collapsed, which allowed her to fly back and land at a partially reclined position. For approximately 20 minutes, she laid in the vehicle, suffering from muscle spasms, trying to determine if she could stand up. The consumer was diagnosed with a concussion and whiplash.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Escape

I was T-boned while making a right hand turn in the driver's door. I was driving the car. The damage resulted in $15,500 + resulting in a total loss. I went to the er suffering from head trauma. I sustained a significant concussion, was out of work for 1 week. My air bags never went off.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Oct 212011

Escape 6-cyl

At 2700 miles the airbag warning light started to go on and vehicle was taken to dealer for a check on airbag problem. Supposedly fixed, however one week later had to return vehicle to dealer due to airbag warning light again going on. Problem supposedly fixed by tightening loose wirre cables in cable harness but one month later returned vehicle again as air bag warning was again coming on and there was concern as we didn't know if airbag would deploy if needed or worse may deploy at any time. Advised that cause was excessive electrical resistance in wire cable harness and defective sensors.since that time there has been no further problem with airbag readiness warning. In fall of 2012 a new problem started which at first I thought might be due to leaving parking brake partially on. Steering at 40 mph all of a sudden became very difficult and center console warning lights and traction warning light came on. After pulling off the road, stopping and restarting the vehicle there was no problem. Problem started again in April 2013 with vehicle still under 10,000 miles. Took vehicle to dealer and problem supposedly fixed. Drove about 6 to 8 miles and problem occurred again with warning lights coming on and difficult to steer at freeway speed. Returned vehicle to dealer and picked up two days later with problem supposedly cured. 4 days later all warning lights went on again and steering as before was difficult. Had vehicle towed to dealer as all agreed it was not safe to drive.after a week of testing and work vehicle was ready. Was advised that problem was loose wires in cable harness and faulty sensors. I have now been driving the vehicle about 2 weeks with no further problems but am greatly concerned that I may have purchased a defective and possibly dangerous vehicle. What protection do we have?

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 032011

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle rear ended while in commute traffic and pushed forward into 2 additional vehicles. Front radiator pushed in, front fenders bowed out at a pillars. Paint transfer from other vehicles shows on both front and rear bumpers. Vehicle airbags failed to deploy.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jun 122011

Escape

The contact rented a 2011 Ford Escape. While the contact was driving less than 20 mph approaching an intersection an opposing vehicle suddenly crashed into the front end of the contacts vehicle causing a head on collision. The contact sustained injuries to the shoulder, chest, and to the left arm and leg. The air bags failed to deploy. The seat belt unlatched from the buckle mechanism during the crash. A police report was filed. The vehicle was completely destroyed and was towed to an impound facility. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 75.

- Stratford, CT, USA