1. replace transmission (3 reports)
  3. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
  4. replace tranmission (1 reports)
2011 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jan 152013

Escape XLT 3.0L

It is only 1000 mils over warranty, had reported and had it in a Ford dealer last week in Oklahoma City for the problem. They said it low on transmission fluid, which had boiled out while being towed (by the recommendation in the book) and so they had to drain and clean it up, put new fluid in. Charged me $480.00, got less than 200 miles and it did the same thing, blew fluid out all over the motor. Took it into a Ford dealer in Bemidji MN, now they want 6500 dollars to put in a new transmission and warranty won't cover it !!

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

May 202015

Escape Limited V6

Started almost a year ago; loud clunks from the middle of the drive train area, then lost forward power and truck stalled. Got it towed, was told there was an open recall on it which should fix the issue. Ran pretty good for almost a year, although there were a few instances where the transmission seemed to slip or not want to gear down, then 4 days ago again, one loud clunk this time, no forward motion and stalled. Sat waiting for roadside assistance for over an hour, at which time the truck started up fine and we were able to drive it onto the deck of the truck.

Dealership was "unable to duplicate the problem" over the course of 2 days they had it and, because of this, they charged us $175 + tax for their diagnostic. Picked it up, got 3 blocks away and it stalled. Got it to go again, so decided to just run it until they can't deny the problem anymore...took all of 24 hours before it had another serious issue and didn't want to start except in neutral. Then, this morning, complete failure - felt the tranny slip out of gear, lost engine power and had to coast from a main thoroughfare into a parking lot to get it out of the way. Attempted to start, got the engine to crank once in Park, heard loud THUNK and it stalled again. Now it won't crank even in neutral. BEYOND FRUSTRATED!!!!!

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Sep 202014

Escape XLT 2.5L

I purchased the 2011 Escape XLT in June 2014, the first time I noticed a problem was two weeks after that. I went to accelerate and could hear the engine rev up but no speed increase. After releasing the gas the RPMs went up to 4K. I had to shift it into neutral for it to disengage. When I shifted back into drive everything seemed normal. About a month later I noticed after accelerating it would shift up, down, up, down and then it would find a gear. Finally, one morning it decided to give out and I was unable to accelerate, or engage drive or reverse. The Ford dealership found the forward snap ring came apart and caused damage to sun gear and metal all through transmission. They replaced the transmission with a Ford re-certificated transmission under Ford Powertrain Warranty.

- , Akron, OH, USA

Aug 172014

Escape 2.5L

We bought this newer '11 Ford Escape for a road trip to California. Just getting into Sacramento on Hwy 50 there was a severe clunk and the car began to lose power. The car came to a stop in the center lane. The transmission was completely locked. The car would not move in either direction and it could not be pushed. It left us stranded in a very dangerous place. We had the car towed to the nearest Ford dealership and there the car sits waiting for a rebuilt transmission. We flew back home to Colorado and will have to fly back to California to get the Ford. I wish I could just leave it there but it is financed and I need the car. I've owned Toyotas, Volvos Geo Metros in the last 25 or so years and have been happy with all of them. I thought I'd buy an American car for a change and I'm not pleased with what I've been reading about these Ford automatic transmissions. I expected better. At this point I have more confidence in my 30 year old Volvo than I have in this Ford. I feel that Ford must know that they are selling an inferior product based on the many complaints about the transmission. If that's the best you can do Ford, I'll never buy another one and I won't have anything positive to say about your company or your product.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jul 162014

Escape Limited 4 cyl

We were flat towing, which is the reason we purchased this car. The car was in neutral and key on accessory per the owner's manual. When we arrived home, couldn't get car out of neutral and couldn't start car nor remove the key. Had it towed to a local Ford dealer who said the transmission seized and it was in park - not true it was in neutral. After three calls to Ford Customer Service, received a call from Sally or Sarah (she uses both names) and said the best she would do is $500 toward a $5000 repair. Needless to say, we"re not dropping this issue and plan never to purchase another Ford product. This was our eighth Ford product over time.

Also, when we first took possession of this car it starting clunking in the transmission. We have returned it to the Ford dealer in Wayland, MI and mentioned this several times. We were told if we couldn't replicate the problem, they couldn't help us. So now we are facing a huge bill on a three year old car that we don't feel we should be stuck with.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 042013

while diving there is an abrupt "jerk" and although the engine remains running, pressing the gas pedal does nothing. The brake pedal still worked but applying the gas did nothing, the vehicle just began to slow. This was VERY frightening while my daughter and I were less than 5 miles from home and it happened while we were traveling in the middle lane (fast lane on the left, slow lane on the right) during rush hour/weekend/fair traffic right where two highways merge. The vehicle began to slow (because pressing the gas pedal did nothing) while we were in the MIDDLE lane with semi trucks honking and whizzing by us on the left AND on the right and all we could do was hope for an opening on the right, and pray that we'd make it over to the shoulder before being slammed into. We found that putting the truck in park, removing the key, then putting the key back in and starting it would make the gas pedal work again...for a very short distance. We made our way home with our hazard lights on limping along on the shoulder of the highway. The gas pedal failed again on us 3 more times in the relatively short distance to our home. The dealership wound up picking it up on a flatbed and fixing it for free, even though they tried to make me feel like they were doing me a favor!!! Even though the transmission light was on and the transmission was under warranty, they told me THAT part of the transmission was not covered???? WTF?? I called BS, threatened "3rd party intervention" and viola - they magically decided to fix it free of charge. Mark my words - the 2011 Ford Escape WILL sooner or later be recalled

- , Kernersville, NC, USA

Jan 032013

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

Shortly after getting the Escape back from it's engine replacement, the transmission started shifting hard. It would seem to drop out of gear, then catch again. A few miles from home, it started acting normally again. Since the dealer was closed for the night, my plan was to drop it off in the morning to have them look at it. The next morning, on my way to work, the transmission dropped out of gear while going up a hill and never recovered. I had to have it towed to the dealer. Upon dis assembly of the transmission, the cause was deemed to be a failed valve body, which caused a loss of pressure to the clutches resulting in excess slip.

The warranty repair was to rebuild the transmission at the dealer, which took about 2 weeks. After I got it back, I've put about 2000 miles on it. In that time, I've had a number of harsh shifts, erratic shifting, and what feels like occasional slip when accelerating hard. I've had it back to the dealer once after an especially hard shift. They were unable to replicate the fault and there were no codes stored, so there was no repair. I'm currently operating under the assumption that unless the "wrench" light comes on, don't bother with dealer unless the fault can be replicated.

I will not be owning this vehicle outside of it's powertrain warranty, as I cannot afford a multi-thousand dollar repair bill on a vehicle this new that I am still paying for.

- , Waverly, IA, USA