2015 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Escape:

2015 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Escape

6-4-15 purchased the car brand new 8-7-15 car's battery drained completely and had it towed to Ford dealer 7-8-16 car's battery completely drained. Jump started got new battery at Ford dealer 7-29-16 battery completely drained, jumped started. Stopped at Ford dealer and got an appt. On 8-8-16 7-30-16 drove car out of garage approximately 7:30 am at 3:30 pm, the battery was dead. Jump started the car to put back into garage. Called Ford dealer and got an earlier appt. On 8-1-16 (charged battery 6 hrs with battery charger) each time, the battery had to be jumped to start the car. Something in the system is draining the battery completely. The car was parked inside my garage each time that this occurred. It always happened in the am when I went to start the car with the exception on 7-30-16, it was parked outside in the driveway and died there during mid day. Purchased a portable battery jump starter from sears ($125) to stay in the vehicle.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 212016

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving in Maine. I'm not sure if I hit a patch of ice or if the steering froze up. I was traveling 35 in a 40 mph zone and on a curve, the vehicle veered off the road into a bog. The vehicle started to sink and I was unable to open the door for a few minutes. Then I noticed a flame coming from the back of the vehicle. It took all of my strength but I pushed the door open and began swimming away from the vehicle. As I was about 20 feet from the vehicle, it exploded. I was in the water and ice for approx. 10 minutes. The fire dept, police, and emt's arrived and pulled me from the water and took me to the hospital. I have 2nd degree burns on my arm and legs. My insurance company has deemed the vehicle a total loss and the adjuster said the only thing that could be salvaged was 1/2 of my license plate. I asked what could have caused this and the adjuster said that perhaps it was an electrical problem and water mixed with the electrical problem may have caused the fire. Although he did state that he was speculating and he did not know what caused the fire and explosion. The vehicle is sitting and I have asked that it not be destroyed (what's left of it) until the cause can be determined. This concerns me greatly because I do not want this to happen to anyone else. I believe if anyone else had been in the vehicle, they would not have had time to Escape. There was no smoke - only fire and then the explosion. The shock is starting to wear off and I keep asking myself how in the world a car could "just explode". please let me know if anyone else has had any problem like this or if anyone can suggest what may have caused this catastrophe. Thank you.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Feb 212016

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving and I'm not sure if I hit a patch of ice or steering froze up. I was traveling 35 in a 40 mph zone and on a curve, the vehicle veered off the road into a bog. The vehicle started to sink and I was unable to open the door for a few minutes. I tried putting the vehicle in reverse to get out of the water and ice. Then I noticed a flame coming from the back of the vehicle. I pushed the door open and began swimming away from the vehicle. As I was about 30 feet from the vehicle, it exploded. I was in the water and ice for approx. 10 minutes. The fire dept, police, and emt's arrived and pulled me from the water and took me to the hospital. I have 2nd degree burns on my arm and legs. My insurance company has deemed the vehicle a total loss and the adjuster said the only thing that could be salvaged was 1/2 of my license plate. I asked what could have caused this and the adjuster said that perhaps it was an electrical problem and water mixed with the electrical problem may have caused the fire. He did state that he did not know what caused the fire and explosion. The vehicle is sitting and I have asked that it not be destroyed (what's left of it) until the cause can be determined. This concerns me greatly because I do not want this to happen to anyone else. The shock is starting to wear off and I keep asking myself how in the world a car could "just explode". please let me know if anyone else has had any problem like this or if anyone can suggest what may have caused this catastrophe. Thank you.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Jan 142015

Escape

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shut off even when the key was not in the vehicle. The contact was able to drive the vehicle without the key being inserted into the ignition. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,355.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 172015

Escape

Symptom: Fuse for interior lights, including gear indicator on shift, controls in steering wheel, fails. Issue began 2nd month of ownership 2/2015. 4th incident on 9/17/15 brought my attention to the circumstances pertaining to all instances leading to failure of the interior lights fuse. Incident: Traveling at 55 mph while merging into traffic from the left side of a 5 lane highway, I removed my foot from accelerator. I stepped on the accelerator within a few seconds and the engine shut off, all electrical components, dash board, gauges, everything shut themselves off and then every gauge and warning light lit up, but no engine. I moved the gear selector into neutral and turned the key to off without locking the steering wheel, and tried to restart the vehicle. It did not restart. I made my across 4 lanes of traffic to the right shoulder, stopped the car, put into park and turned the car all the way off and restarted the vehicle, the interior lights no longer worked. The car restarted and I drove on. I realized that every time the fuse for the interior lights has failed, it was after the car had shut itself off, all electrical lights and warning lights had gone off and then all warning lights and lights, except interior lights came back on, requiring turning the key to off engaging the steering wheel lock and restarting the car. It is currently in the shop for evaluation. The 3 previous times, the Ford dealers' (2 different dealers) service department technicians have not found a cause for the fuse failure.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 302015

Escape

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Escape. While driving at 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after 10 seconds. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the electrical fuse number 60 needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Garden City, MI, USA

May 152015

Escape

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 65 mph, the automatic door lock was applied, however, when the driver grabbed the door handle, the front driver side door opened. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Garden Prarie, IL, USA

May 192015

Escape

My Ford Escape 2015 wouldn't shut off after turning. I didn't realize that car was on after I had park, without the keys in the ignition. I drove home when I tried to shut the engine; it didn't. the car was tow to the nearest Ford. The motor was still running when it was being tow. Ford couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Mine you I still haven't made my first payment.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Apr 052015

Escape

Started car and the alarm went off on the dash saying the front passenger door was ajar. We opened the door and looked at the door to make sure no one had hit the car. No damage could be found. Shut car off and restarted. Alarm continued with dash reading front passenger door ajar. Drove car home with constant alarm and over head light on. Let car sit in driveway for hours to see if something would reset. It did not work. Unplugged battery and let car sit another 30 minutes. Did not reset. Tomorrow the car goes back to the dealership again to fix this problem. I am very disappointed with the new 2015 Ford Escape titanium 4 wheel drive 1.6 only 1069 miles and I am having lemon issues! should have kept my 2013 Escape with the bigger motor, didn't have dumb problems like this one. Ford step up please and make this right!!

- Canton, NC, USA

Mar 092015

Escape

Warning on screen. Take car to dealer immediately. I took the car to the dealer and after sitting there for over 3 hours I was told the issue was the cooling temperature sensor. When they came to tell me the car was finished I was told they did not do anything but unplug the sensor and wait 5 minutes the reconnect to clear the code. Since then the car takes a long time to heat up for the heater. It will blow cold air. I am disappointed with this car. I should not have had to wait over 3 hours at the dealer either for just unplugging the sensor. Not a good way to keep customers.

- Canton, NC, USA