5.9

2016 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Escape:

2016 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Nov 082016

Escape

Electronic throttle body - the car stalled out on the freeway. Prior to stalling, the car was shaking and then stalled.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Nov 082016

Escape

Engine shuts down while driving and the service engine now light come on. I was in the passing lane doing 65mph this morning when it cut out. I was lucky to make it into the breakdown lane without getting hit. I put the car in park and the engine sputters like it is only running on one cylinder. If I shut it off and restart it, the service engine now light go out. The car only has 11,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and was told that unless the service engine now light was on, they cant fix it. This issue has happened 3 times over the course of two weeks. I am afraid I will get into an accident when this happens.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Nov 012016

Escape

Just turned over 9,000 miles on my 2016 Ford Escape when all of a sudden the engine "stalls" and starts to shudder with the engine fault light coming on. No control over accelerator. Or steering. Thank goodness I was not turning on a busy street or trying to get on a major highway. I was barely able to pull off of the street since the car would hardly go. I shut off the car, started it again and it seemed fine. I pulled back on the street and it did it again. Pulled over and did the same thing, got back on the street and it stalled for the 3rd time. I pulled over and immediately called my local Ford dealer. The car had to be towed to the Ford dealer, it was unsafe and unable to drive. I was told told today it was the throttle body that needed replaced. This is very dangerous to be sitting dead in the water like that on a busy street, I could have been rear ended or even killed if I had been on an interstate or busy 4 lane. My local Ford dealership was wonderful to work with and immediately came to rescue me!

- Caddo, OK, USA

Oct 312016

Escape

While driving the Ford Escape on a main road today the vehicle suddenly started to idle very rough, the orange wrench light came on and I could not accelerate. The car decelerated rapidly as I was going up a slight hill. I was able to coast into a parking lot, where I shut the car off for several minutes, then turned it back on and proceeded home. I have called the Ford dealership to bring the car in for service.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Sep 032016

Escape

I was traveling 60 mph when the engine started shaking violently, I lost the ability to accelerate and the check engine light came on with an error message of "engine fault". once I made it to the side of the road, the engine idled down to 400 and shut off. I tried to crank it up again and the engine immediately started jumping violently. Vehicle was towed to the Ford dealership and they said it was recall 16B32.

- Winnabow, NC, USA

Sep 172016

Escape

While driving down the interstate at 70 mph my vehicle died. No power steering. Very dangerous. The screen said 'engine fault'. managed to get to the shoulder and it restarted right away. Drove a little further, same thing. Managed to get it home but it did this 4 times over the course of the weekend. It is at the shop today but there are no lights on now so I don't know if they will be able to find the problem.

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Sep 142016

Escape

Was driving and vehicle began shuddering violently and service engine now came on and vehicle engine died. Thank goodness I was not on the highway yet and four people helped to push me out of the way.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Sep 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly reduced speed and a "service engine" message was displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Sep 072016

Escape

While driving at highway speeds (roughly 70 mph) my vehicle completely turned off with no warning and said "engine fault. Service now". by the grace of god I did not get rear ended. I successfully restarted the vehicle and made it home. The same thing happened the next morning, this time on city streets going roughly 20 mph during rush hour. Against, I was beyond lucky to have not gotten injured or worse and there was no warning again.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 032016

Escape

Lsudden complete loss of power unexpectedly driving at low or high speed. Ruff running without ability to accelerate. Waring message of "hill assit" not activated. Very dangerous senario while on interstate. Occurred 3 (three) times in 2 days. Car was a hertz rental car and I was told, after compaining that requested car was not available, that this car is better and more reliable than my requested Toyota rav 4. thinking back it's as if they knew about the Escape's liability.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Mar 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. While accelerating to approximately 5 mph from a stop sign, the vehicle stalled. The "engine fault service now" warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was turned off and restarted. While driving, the engine lost power and the transmission shook severely. The contact stopped again and waited approximately one minute then the vehicle started normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The failure recurred three times in one week. The vehicle was repaired under warranty by the dealer the first time the failure occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,121....updated 04/19/16

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA