2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jun 292016

F-150

I was driving down the highway, when all of a sudden, the throttle was lost. The truck went from 65 mph to 5 mph in a matter of a couple of seconds and would not accelerate. After a few minutes of trying to maneuver to the side of the road, going only 5 mph, the truck began to shake. Took it to the shop, and they couldn't replicate the problem, nor would it show up in the computer system. Took it home, and later that evening, it lost the throttle again. Took it back to the shop the next day after looking at this website, and told them to replace the throttle body to see if that was the problem. Haven't had any other issues. This is very dangerous because it could cause a wreck or loss of vehicle control. It cost me over $300 to fix this issue. Ford should really issue a recall since many vehicles have had this issue.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 202016

F-150

N June 20, 2016 my wife and I were driving at 65 mph on U.S. 60 in mo when the engine on my 2013 F150 VIN ecoboost just quit. It was a dangerous situation in traffic. We were able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. It was towed to wehr Ford in mountain grove, mo where it was diagnosed as a defective throttle body. The service manager said there had been a rash of defective throttle bodies and at least 2000 were on back order across the country. He pointed out another vehicle on his lot which had been there for two weeks waiting for one. He said he could get a used one from a wrecking yard. Since we live in AZ and had to get home we said ok. This is a dangerous issue and Ford should have a recall on these.

- Greer, AZ, USA

Jun 162016

F-150

My 2013 F150 eco boost started cutting out while driving home, the wrench illuminated then the check engine as the engine completely shut down. If I would of been on the freeway or pulling something I would've been dead. After coasting off the road. I was able to get it to restart, but the check engine light stayed on and was cutting out. I only had to go 2 miles to get home. I took it to the Ford dealership due to the mileage it wasn't covered, but it was the throttle body that had to be replaced. After doing some research Ford had recalled this on a few vehicles, but not this one yet. It is very dangerous to have it just shut the engine off on you. If you're in traffic or pulling there would be a severe problem. I'm still concerned when I pull. I hope that Ford recalls this!!!

- Santaquin, UT, USA

Jun 062016

F-150

Three times over a 2 year period I have started to pass slow moving vehicles on two lane highways and the engine started to die and the vehicle engine light started flashing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 102016

F-150

Lose power on acceleration while passing on the highway sudden lost of power and engine fail shacking type of feel not noise or warning before events

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jun 082016

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 50 mph and passing another vehicle, there was hesitation and a rapid reduction in engine power as the warning indicator illuminated. Three minutes later, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the ecobooster engine cac detector shield was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,987.

- South Charlestion, WV, USA

Jun 112016

F-150

Throttle body failed on my pickup while driving. Went into limp mode and engine wouldn't rev up. Had to shut off and restart multiple times in order to make it to the shop. Scanned it and had code P2112 throttle body stuck closed. Replaced throttle body and seems to be ok now. Glad I was just putting along when it happened or it could have been a disaster.

- Ravenna, NE, USA

Jun 082016

F-150

I wanted to make your office aware and seek any assistance you may be able to offer regarding a safety issue with the Ford ecoboost engine found in many trucks in our state. Recently I was driving on a two lane road and ended up behind a slow moving tractor trailer. When getting to a proper passing zone, I accelerated to pass the vehicle. Just about the time I was alongside it, my truck (a 2013 F150 ecoboos with about 78K miles) started shuddering, a check engine light came on and it drastically reduced power almost causing an accident when another vehicle was approaching from the other direction (this took several seconds - the passing zone was entirely clear when I started the maneuver). I took my vehicle to a local dealer for repairs only to find out that it was from a manufacturer defect affecting condensation in the cooling unit of the turbos. Ford had issued a technical service bulletin (tsb-14-0017) regarding the issue but no recalls made nor any customer notifications sent out. I have notified Ford and requested 1) they reimburse the cost of repairs; 2) issue an immediate recall for this major safety defect; and 3) immediately notify owners of their product as to the possible safety hazard that could occur when putting the engine under a heavy RPM load. Additionally, I am asking if your office can follow up with this request to ensure that someone doesn't encounter the same bad situation or worse. This was a potential fatality situation that could have been avoided. Thanks greg powers 230 3rd avenue South charleston, wv 25303 304-741-5487

- South Charleston, WV, USA

May 262016

F-150

Vehicle runs great most of the time, but when driving at highway speeds for a couple of hours in the rain, snow, humid or misting conditions, the truck will sometimes loose power and start shaking/stuttering when accelerating to pass another vehicle, or when climbing a hill. Most of time, it is a very slight shudder but when under heavy throttle, the engine will start cutting out, loose power and speed, and the check engine light will start flashing. When this happens, I will have to pull over to the slower lane of traffic, or onto the shoulder. After about 30 seconds the check engine light will either go out, or come on solid. It is very frightening when this happens but it has happened enough times that I almost expect it when the conditions are right for it to occur. I have taken it into various Ford dealerships as I am usually out of town on vacation when it happens. They have applied all the tsb's recommended by Ford motor, but obviosity they can¿T recreate the issue on demand and apparently can¿T correct it. This is a very dangerous issue and I would support a total recall of all ecoboost vehicles until corrected.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

May 252016

F-150

Continued lack of power when accelerating. Several times while in a turning lane, I can hit the accelerator and the engine goes to a complete shut down of power. I have read the related engine issues here, but as a mechanical engineer, I can tell you this is a turbo issue. This issue has almost caused me several accidents due to oncoming traffic and the lack of power from engine that causes lack of movement from the truck. The lack of power last for 1 to 5 seconds and it is the same in wet or dry weather. I want this resolved.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Apr 252016

F-150

While driving, including but not always while driving on the interstate during heavy fast traffic, and including but not always while pulling a trailer, the orange wrench light comes on, the truck abruptly enters "limp" mode requiring rapid pulling off the highway in order to stop and restart the engine, and then a dangerous pulling back on the highway from the breakdown lane in heavy traffic. This has been diagnosed as needing a throttle body replacement #bl3Z-9E926-B, but I am told by a Ford dealer that there are about 3300 others waiting for this part and that they are so backlogged that no delivery date is yet in their system. Rapid, unexpected, and repeated loss of power while driving is very dangerous.

- Pelham, MA, USA

Mar 172016

F-150

On 03/17/2016 I was driving on route 287 in New Jersey in the fast lane at speeds around 65 mph my truck had a loss of power. The check engine light never came on and the truck started shuttering really bad, with the accelerator pushed down the truck was slowing down and the cars behind me were hitting their brakes. After about 2 minutes the truck went back to normal. I brought the truck to the dealership and they were unable to diagnose the problem. They said they know about this issue and removed the air deflector and reprogrammed the powertrain control module. 7 days later I had another close call on route 287 in New Jersey when my truck started misfiring and shuttering. Again no check engine light ever came on. I brought the truck back to the dealership. There were no diagnostic trouble codes or alarms. The mechanic took the truck for a test drive using an integrated diagnostic system and found a power balance and cylinder #4 misfire. They replaced #4 coil and gave the truck back to me. 24 hours later and another close call the truck is back to the dealership and I was told it was another cylinder #4 misfire. The dealership is being very helpful and trying everything they can but this is an enormous safety problem and if this issue is not corrected it can turn into a fatal ending.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Mar 012016

F-150

Loss of power and shudder at speeds of 60+mph when trying to accelerate to pass other vehicles or going up hills. In 2014 I purchased a used 2013 Ford F-150 eco boost truck. About a month ago I experienced a shudder and loss of power when trying to pass another vehicle while driving on the freeway. The mph was about 70+ miles. Since that time it happens all of the time when driving above 60mph or higher when I try to accelerate. If I gradually accelerate it doesn't happen.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 022016

F-150

My truck has been experiencing hesitation upon acelleration and is making noises and my check engine light was on. I took it to the dealership on February 2, 2016 be fixed and at first it was covered under warranty. I took it back on February 16, 2016 bc I had to have a Ford rental per Ford. The truck was repaired but then it wasn't covered per Ford and I had to pay over $400 to get it fixed. My check engine light came on again and it had to go back to the dealership but this time it was covered under warranty. I just got my truck back on April 11,2016 and today on April 14, 2016 the light is back on. I am waiting on a call back from the Ford dealership to find out what to do next.

- Cherry Creek, NY, USA

Jun 062015

F-150

Brake rotors warping prior to 18,000 miles; engine cooler fan runs in high speed during summer months, all the time.

- Indian Mound, TN, USA

Mar 132015

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle would also drive abnormally when reaching speeds over 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air compressor had failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, however the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken back to the dealer however, details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for repairs related to the failure and it was informed each time that the brakes and rotors had prematurely deteriorated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 202016

F-150

I was driving on snow packed roads with the "auto 4X4" engaged, about 60mph, the orange "mechanical wrench" appeared on the dashboard and my vehicle lost all power. Electric still on, I had no mobility. I stopped, placed transmission in park and restarted vehicle without further incident. My dealer has not seen truck as of this writing, as the earliest appointment will be 5 days from now.

- Alamosa, CO, USA

Sep 192015

F-150

September 2015 I-75 North bound, attempted to pass a vehicle at 70 mph and had loss of power, check engine light and violent engine shaking for 5-10 minutes on the highway before shaking and check engine light stopped. Happened in the gainesville fl area cloudy but dry day, had all scheduled maintenance done in venice fl prior to getting on the road at the dealership, 36,500 miles. October 2015 I-44 East bound tulsa ok, reentering the interstate had loss of power unable to enter at appropriate speeds, check engine light and violent shaking. Slammed on gas and then brake pedals with no difference. Pulled off the interstate parked the truck, turned off and restarted as soon as it started gunned the gas pedal RPM in the red line and again the truck lost all power, check engine light and shook did this for 30 minutes until I was able to start the truck and gun the RPM into the red line without loss of power. Called dealership asking about hydroplaning and engine losing power like in the Tundra trucks, was told no Ford does not have that safety feature. Cold and wet weather conditions 40,000 miles. November 2015 on tx 82 West bound at 80 mph, 35 degrees and rainy conditions. Attempted to pass a semi and had loss of power, check engine light and violent shaking was a passenger in the truck at this time and was still able to feel the shaking from the engine. Again lasted 5-10 minutes. Went to the dealership for oil change before the trip in the beginning of November. 43,000 miles. Have been to my dealership asking about this problem, and have been told there may be a recall but so far nothing. I do interstate driving in less than ideal conditions (rain, snow and ice) I need this truck to preform that is why I bought it. I understand it takes time and money to make a recall happen, but make no mistake this is going to cause accidents.

- Oxford, OH, USA

Jan 092016

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle started to shake violently and decelerated as the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Dec 272015

F-150

3.5 L ecobost losses power while driving on highway and poor acceleration from stop light or when accelerator pedal is depressed when passing. Several close calls from vehicles going faster approaching from rear at stop lights and while passing. Had close encounter with two tractor trailers on hwy while traveling at 60-65mph going up a hill. Went to pass the trailer truck that was slowing down. After entering the passing lane and pressing the acceleration pedal the truck had a quick shake then with the acceleration pedal pressed to the floor the truck slowed to 45 mph and would not accelerate. I was almost rear ended buy another large truck attempting to pass the slower one. Sometimes has ticking noise at start up that seems to go away after running for 5-30seconds. Has P0016 code and P0299 codes.

- Charles Town, WV, USA