2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Sep 152016

Ford V6 eco-boost engine turbo temp and pressure sensor failed which can result in the turbo overheating and possible engine fire.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Sep 112016

Driving on a city street the truck started shaking and loss all acceleration, it showed a wrench on the dash screen, coasted to a safe place and turned truck off. It restarted fine. Approx 30 mins later on the highway it did the same thing, started shaking, no acceleration and the wrench showed up. Again coasted to a safe spot and restarted. Took it to the dealer the next day and they say nothing is wrong, but that it could be the etb but with out a code showing they cant do anything.

- Washington, MO, USA

Sep 102016

While driving along, lost power and motor vibrated. Light with wrench came on. Vehicle slowed down. Pulled on side of the road. Motor kept running erratically. Engine surged to a higher speed by itself. Problem cleared by itself. Went to autozone and had error code read. It said that it was a defective throttle body. Could have caused an accident if in gear and engine surged or if failure occurred on a freeway.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Apr 012016

Multiple times now, my truck will downshift and send the rpms over 4500 this causes the engine to misfire, the engine light will blink and the truck will struggle to maintain its speed and any acceleration is extremely diminished. This is extremely dangerous as I frequently drive on rural 2-lane(one in each direction) highways and find this problem significantly impacts my ability to safely pass slower vehicles. It has failed to accelerate enough times that I cannot depend on the truck to accelerate when I move into oncoming lanes of traffic. At 30,000 miles the engine developed an oil leak. Within a month of having the leak repaired at the dealer, the engine experienced a major misfire event causing the engine light to come on. I returned the vehicle to the dealership for repair. The dealership explained that two ignition coils went bad and required replacement. This caused damage to the spark plugs for which I was charged approx $250 but was able to negotiate it down to $140. Within a month of getting the vehicle back, the vehicle started displaying the misfire symptoms with diminished acceleration and blinking engine light. Very unhappy with this vehicle's performance!

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While applying the brake pedal, a squeaking noise was present from all four wheels. The vehicle shook and vibrated. The vehicle also suddenly lost power and appeared to stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the brake pads and rotors, but the failure continued. The contact was informed that the stalling was due to a faulty brake booster. The dealer changed the spark plugs, but the failures continued. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,667.

- Milford, CT, USA

Sep 032016

If you have an ecoboost V6. I have noticed that sometimes when you have to accelerate very quickly the vehicle takes up to 5 seconds to respond and give you any power. I assume that the computer is spinning up the twin turbos but those critical seconds can cause a serious accident. I have on a few occasions almost got ran over because the truck decided to take its time giving me power to get out of the way. Its like for those few seconds you have no power.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Sep 012016

I bought my truck new from the dealer 2013. IżM consistent with all the up keeps of my truck. However, mid August 2016, I noticed the truck hesitated to start at the beginning while in stationary position for a few days, then out of nowhere from one day to the next, the engine didnżT start in the morning again while in stationary position and then the engine light came up! I bought a new battery thinking that maybe it needed to be replaced, even with the new battery the truck failed to start in stationary. After that, I tried starting my truck for two consecutive days, by the third day the truck started! I drove it immediately to autozone but nothing came up wrong with it? so, I drove it back home. A week later, I had no problems with the truck, like nothing ever happen. Then, yesterday all of a sudden I was driving home, while in motion the engine died in the middle of traffic on a city street, so I pulled over to the side of the road and immediately attempted to restart the truck as it continued to hesitate. Finally, after 10 minutes the truck started and I drove to autozone and again nothing came up wrong with it. So I drove it back home. Then, today, which is September 2, 2016 while the truck is stationary it failed to start and the engine light, came up again. Something is wrong with this truck! I donżT feel safe to drive in fear that my truck will stop working while in motion and cause an accident. I can get stranded anywhere at anytime.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 062016

While driving on the highway in rainy conditions, went to accelerate and the truck engine hesitated then shuttered and nearly shut down. The check engine illuminated and this continued for approximately a minute. This has occurred on four different situations all at 70-80 mph while trying to pass. In one situation, it nearly caused an accident. Also having the ticking and severe knocking during engine start first time in the morning or after cold soaking. Ford has refused to fix the issues on their own because the truck has 63,000 miles.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

May 022016

I get the engine code P0301 which is an engine misfire when driving in all driving conditions and streets and highways. The truck engine stumbles and has reduced power when you try to accelerate. This is a very unsafe condition especially when I try to pull a cargo trailer.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Aug 112016

My 2013 F150 ecoboost has approximately 65K miles on it and has recently begun stalling while in operation - always moving. When this occurs, an orange crescent wrench appears on the information center, the RPM's begin to fluctuate, the truck loses all acceleration power, the truck begins to shutter, and I am forced to immediately stop and restart the vehicle. There is no specific time when this happens as opposed to not, and it is very dangerous as the traffic around me has no way to anticipate the issue either. The shop I took the vehicle to stated they "think" it is the throttle body, but are not positive. This is my first Ford in several years/cars and though originally pleased with the truck, I am quickly becoming frustrated.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 132016

While attempting to pass a car on a relatively busy 2 lane highway on sat Aug 13 2016, the engine light came on and the truck lost power and speed. I was unable to continue passing when this ocurred. Another vehicle coming from the other direction was closing in fast, and the car I was passing (was just up by the front side of it) was beginning to pass me now. I know they didn't know what was happening with me or my vehicle. I ended up letting off the gas peddle and ducked in behind the car I was passing. It was only seconds when the vehicle coming from the opposite direction went by. Very scary for me and my wife as it could have been a disaster for all involved. This is actually the second time this happened. The first time was just accelerating, and posed no threat or endangerment. My son had the same thing happen to is (2011 FX4 ecoboost) and was told by a dealer that he may have gotten water in the fuel. I don't agree with the statement. If no one has been injured or killed yet, I feel it will happen, because our incident was close enough for me to be writing this to you.

- Dalton, MN, USA

Mar 112016

Upon entering freeway merging traffic I had a hard truck stumbled would not go any faster then 30 mph by then the semi was on my rear causing a serious problem had to pull off to the shoulder.waited a few minutes and the problem seam to go away. This has occurred numerous times.

- Woodway, TX, USA

Aug 082016

Upon leaving my driveway which is on a hill I went to apply my brakes and had no response, caused me to go off the curb. My brake pedal was hard to operate I went on line and did some research found out about recall.

- Woodway, TX, USA

Jul 142016

In the span of one week the vehicle lost power and went into "limp mode", on three (3) separate occasions. The console display goes orange, with a wrench. Two of the instances occurred at steady speed greater than 50 mph. One event was while accelerating from a stop through a right turn. The vehicle was brought to dealer for service. No obd codes were stored and the events cannot be replicated after a week of testing. This is a serious safety hazard! the vehicle must be stopped in order to shut it down and restart, where the display clears and it runs normally until without warning, it occurs again. Ford does not seem to have an answer. Panic could easily ensue form this loss of power and the drivers ability to take evasive action could be the difference between life & death.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Jul 252016

While driving (on highway or elsewhere), V8 engine will stall and stop suddenly without any warning for no apparent reason. Happen to me twice on 2 days. Won't create any fault in the obd. First time, happen to me on the highway, I was very lucky not to have been hit by other vehicles. Took the car to Ford farway in greenville, SC, they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The car will always start back after 45 min to an hour. Then will shut down for no reason again. This is a threatening with potential death situation if it happen in heavy traffic... so please, ask Ford to investigate all V8 to find quickly the reason why this is happening.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jul 032016

While driving my 2013 Ford F150 with ecoboost, the engine cuts out and I lose power. The wrench symbol comes on. The truck stays running but you can't accelerate. The truck starts to vibrate. It's extremely dangerous because there's no warning and no pattern as to when it happens. It happens at both slow and fast speeds. You have to pull over and turn off the engine. Then when you restart it, it works again. There's no pattern as to how long it will work. Sometimes it cuts out immediately and sometimes weeks later. I've taken it to the closest Ford dealer twice. Once they replaced the throttle body. That proved to be a temporary fix because it did it again a few months later. The next time they reset the PCM. That only worked for a few weeks. I have a third appointment coming up. But I have no confidence they have any idea what the problem is or how to fix it. They will just keep trying different things until they find the issue. It's obviously an engine manufacturer issue and a recall should be issued immediately. This truck is extremely unsafe to drive. I am a stay at home dad and I Transport my kids in this truck. We were on the highway in traffic when it stalled 6 times. Three of those 6 times we were almost hit. I believe Ford will take no responsibility for this mess until someone actually dies in an accident.

- Greenfield Township, PA, USA

Jun 292016

I was driving down the highway, when all of a sudden, the throttle was lost. The truck went from 65 mph to 5 mph in a matter of a couple of seconds and would not accelerate. After a few minutes of trying to maneuver to the side of the road, going only 5 mph, the truck began to shake. Took it to the shop, and they couldn't replicate the problem, nor would it show up in the computer system. Took it home, and later that evening, it lost the throttle again. Took it back to the shop the next day after looking at this website, and told them to replace the throttle body to see if that was the problem. Haven't had any other issues. This is very dangerous because it could cause a wreck or loss of vehicle control. It cost me over $300 to fix this issue. Ford should really issue a recall since many vehicles have had this issue.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 202016

N June 20, 2016 my wife and I were driving at 65 mph on U.S. 60 in mo when the engine on my 2013 F150 VIN ecoboost just quit. It was a dangerous situation in traffic. We were able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. It was towed to wehr Ford in mountain grove, mo where it was diagnosed as a defective throttle body. The service manager said there had been a rash of defective throttle bodies and at least 2000 were on back order across the country. He pointed out another vehicle on his lot which had been there for two weeks waiting for one. He said he could get a used one from a wrecking yard. Since we live in AZ and had to get home we said ok. This is a dangerous issue and Ford should have a recall on these.

- Greer, AZ, USA

Jun 162016

My 2013 F150 eco boost started cutting out while driving home, the wrench illuminated then the check engine as the engine completely shut down. If I would of been on the freeway or pulling something I would've been dead. After coasting off the road. I was able to get it to restart, but the check engine light stayed on and was cutting out. I only had to go 2 miles to get home. I took it to the Ford dealership due to the mileage it wasn't covered, but it was the throttle body that had to be replaced. After doing some research Ford had recalled this on a few vehicles, but not this one yet. It is very dangerous to have it just shut the engine off on you. If you're in traffic or pulling there would be a severe problem. I'm still concerned when I pull. I hope that Ford recalls this!!!

- Santaquin, UT, USA

Jun 062016

Three times over a 2 year period I have started to pass slow moving vehicles on two lane highways and the engine started to die and the vehicle engine light started flashing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA