2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Dec 132014

F-150

Yesterday, my truck started fine with no issues, all systems were fine. This morning, 12/13/14, I went to start my truck and my battery was completely dead. I left nothing on and nothing plugged in. I purchased a new battery and it started fine although the remote start (factory installed) no longer works when pressed, the horn blows once and the lights flash twice. I looked out of my window a few minutes ago and noticed that the white instrument cluster lights are on. I went out to make sure my truck was locked, got in, started the engine and shut everything off again but the instrument cluster lights won't go out.

- Essex, MD, USA

Jan 222014

F-150

Purchased new 2013 Ford eco pickup. It was advertised and sold to be a high efficient fuel economical vehicle. First time temperatures dropped below 30 degrees F, my fuel mileage drastically dropped. After discussion with dealership, they seemed to be aware of the affect cold air had on its fuel mileage. Prior to cold weather I was experiencing 18 to 24 mpg. As soon as cold weather arrived I was experiencing 12 to 14 mpg. This type of mileage is consistent all through the winter until late spring. Seems the 24 mpg is unachievable anymore. Dealership briefly explained the boosters work best in warm weather. This information was not offered during the purchase process. I even showed them a magazine article written on how Ford eco boost had been experiencing lower than advertised mpg. The salesman acknowledged the article and said they had corrected the problem. I was told during a maintenance process, that it had to have 12,000 miles before they could test it for lack of mpg. I had it inspected at 11,800 miles and they claim there is nothing they can do. My advice to anyone purchasing a 150 eco boost expecting good to above average mpg, it will not happen.

- Emerson , NE, USA

Jun 122012

F-150

Pulling out to merge into traffic engine shut down, engine light comes on. No power, engine missing very bad. Pull over to shoulder kill engine wait and restarted. Ford said no computer code came up but reset computer for turbo. 2nd Ford F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost that has done this

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 172014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred only during rainy or humid weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three separate occasions where the six spark plugs, converter assembly, and nuts were replaced. In addition, the PCM was updated, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 11,132.

- West Olive, MI, USA

Jan 302013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred twice. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Sep 042014

F-150

Upon turning off the ignition the starter kicked on and wouldn't stop. Got truck out of garage. It died in the driveway. Saw smoke and sparks. Opened the hood and saw a small fire under the engine block. Called fd but had it out by the time they arrived

- Mukwonago , WI, USA

Aug 012014

F-150

This brand new truck is misfiring. When I inquired about why this was happening I was told that Ford is still investigating the problem but has not even reached out the customers who just paid all this money for these trucks like me at a sum of $50,000. I'm told this problem has been going on since 2011 when the ecoboost engine was introduced. Where is the customer service Ford! so many people have had this problem with this ecoboost engine and you can't tell me you didn't know of these problems before continuing to sell these trucks to people. I thought you were better than Chevrolet but I'm starting to feel differently.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 082014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the check engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle misfired. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,200.

- Nashville, IN, USA

Aug 032014

F-150

Driving in rainy conditions attempting to accelerate my truck started to lose power, shaking and check engine light started to flash. After getting out of traffic to pull over called my wife to bring me my O.B.D hand held found that I had codes P0300, P0304, P0305 and P0306 which is for cylinders misfiring. This is the second time this has happened in heavy traffic condition it could easily cause a traffic accident, does someone have to die before ya'll take action. My truck is at kenly Ford in kenly North Carolina and like the first time they play it off like I don't know what I am talking about and they always say they can't find anything wrong with it. Please don't sit around and let this problem cost someone their life......

- Lucama, NC, USA

Jul 052014

F-150

As I tried to accelerate to pass a vehicle the motor in my truck started to miss, the check engine light flashed on and off and I was not able to accelerate. The motor proceeded to idle even though I was pushing in the gas pedal. After about 15 seconds of no response to the gas pedal being pushed the entire truck started shaking as though it was about to fall apart. Another 30 seconds later and everything went back to normal. This occurred in a 2013 F-150 with the ecoboost motor.

- Holstein, IA, USA

Jul 042014

F-150

Regular morning, right as I was driving out of the parking lot, two alarms went off: "power train" and "service engine soon". at first I thought it was an error so I continued to drive out of the parking lot. Not even 10 yards out, my truck began to jerk forward so I put on park and shut the engine off. I started again, attempted to drive back to my parking stall, and same thing happened. I bought this truck about 10 months ago and it only got 7800 miles on it. I haven't put any strenuous work load on this truck, mainly used for commuting so far.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Aug 182013

F-150

Was accelerating entering interstate I95 North bound from an on ramp and suddenly my vehicle lost power and began to stall and shutter. The truck rapidly lost power plus speed and a tractor trailer truck almost ran in to the back of me. I dealt with this issue for the remainder of my 500 mile trip to nyc (and still dealing with this issue today now weekly bases). Once back home I took the truck to the dealership who was aware of misfire issues with my truck model (apparently it is known by the manufacturer that the truck stalls and misfires issue and said I had all the latest updates however still today I experience stall and misfire mainly under hard acceleration. Lately the issue has worsen and I am told by the manufacturer that there is nothing that they can of will do about it until they come up with a fix. This vehicle is a major safety risk period. I have asked the manufacturer over and over to correct the problem however they simply told me they don't have a fix for is as of yet. I am asking that you look into this and investigate my concern please don't wait until someone god forbid loose their life because this is a major safety concern. We need to be more proactive than reactive. The Ford F150's equipped with the turbo eco boost engine is a major safety hazard it is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt and loose their life before something might be done - that is the sad part. Please I beg you to look into my concern and follow up asap. Just last night my vehicle stalled I have to constantly drive it cautiously. I only have less than 14,000 miles on the vehicle because I am scared to drive it - I don't want to sell it to no one else because I would feel bad knowing the major safety issues this vehicle has - I just can't bring myself to putting someone in a vehicle that could hurt them. Please get behind Ford and investigate this issue.

- Aiken , SC, USA

Jun 242014

F-150

After driving for several hours on the interstate we had stopped to re-fuel. Upon re-entry onto the interstate the truck failed to accelerate, the check engine light came on, the truck was shaking it took 30-40 seconds before normal operation resumed. This is the 3rd time this has happened, twice on of which were on the interstate while attempting to merge into traffic or pass vehicles. All three times the conditions have been high humidity, rain & traveling at a relatively constant speed for an extended period of time.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Jun 152012

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 50 mph the vehicle hesitated and stalled on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to replicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 350.

- Sulphur, LA, USA

Feb 262014

F-150 6-cyl

The following occurred in a 2013 F150 platinum with 12,000 miles on it. While accelerating from a traffic light, the car lost power and stuttered and fell into limp mode. You could not drive over 10 mph. This has been just one of many similar incidents. I have taken the car in several times but Ford cannot replicate the problem, so they will not fix anything. Recently, the car just misfired while driving around 40mph, these incidents occur suddenly then the car recovers. My car is currently in the shop, I will pick it up today, they said they could not replicate the problem, so no service was done. The reason it was in the shop this time? I was driving to work in the morning and the car basically collapsed while driving, almost causing a huge accident, this incident was more extreme than the others and the car was stuck in limp mode for about 5 seconds, the woman behind me almost smashed into me. This is a 50K truck with 12,000 miles on it. This truck is extremely dangerous to drive. Recall!!!!!!

- Bayville , NY, USA

May 172014

F-150

2013 Ford F150 ecoboost supercrew (157" wb) when loaded exhibits pulse/bucking/shaking when taking off from a stop. Noticeably worse as more load is applied. Vehicle is rate with payload of 1500 lbs and it only takes 200-300 lbs in the bed to feel it and when you have 700-800 lbs it literally bucks. Had at dealer multiple times and been in contact with Ford tech line who all say that no damage or safety issue exists and to live with it. I paid $42K for this vehicle and now I can't even put anything into the bed to to unsafe starts that are going to leave me stranded. To make matters worse the computer tries to compensate for the vibrations and starts to lower power causing it to not go which is dangerous in left hand turn situations. The tech said there was nothing they could do as Ford states these are known issues.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Mar 042014

F-150

2013 Ford F-150 3.5 ecoboost on multiple occasions has loss of power on take-off when making left hand turns. This loss of power seems more like a long delay in poer application to the wheels, long enough that when making left hand turns in traffic becomes dangerous and I have been in two near misses in these stall situations. The vehicle comes to life suddenly with a boost of full power literally scaring you when it finally does decide to go after a 1-3 second delay, and oftentimes even after letting off of the accelerator you still get the power surge and have to mash the brakes. I have learned to keep a foot on the brake and mange the delay, just hope I don't get in a tight spot where I need to have sudden power from a stop.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Jun 012012

F-150 6-cyl

Engine stops on hard acceleration all most got hit on more than one occasion.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

May 052014

F-150 8-cyl

Unintended acceleration design defect in vehicles equipped with an electronic throttle control system.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 122014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Upon accelerating from a stop 4or 5 loud knocking sounds were heard and felt, and engine power loss was experienced. I let off throttle to reduce knocking sound, which sounded like turbo wastegate possibly, and engine shook and had reduced power for several miles. Temperature outside was warm and dry. I had been driving vehicle for over an hour before problem. It has had reduced power and minor shaking before, but nothing like this. Fortunately no other vehicles were coming. I do notice wastegate popping off on short, steep hills more lately. I have the ecoboost engine. Have not been to dealer yet, but have appt soon.

- Ellsworth, KS, USA