2004 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Focus:

2004 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 272006

Focus 4WD 4-cyl

I noticed when I first purchased my 2004 Ford Focus that it had intermitint problems with the key not turning the igintion over. I recently was stranded because my key didnt turn over and I took it the shop who confirmed it was my ignition lock that froze. The cost $265...

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 172006

Focus 4-cyl

Ignition switch failure.. fortunate that the event happened while at home. I travel frequently as an employee of the department of homeland security. This could have been very detrimental if this had occurred while on duty. Ford's extended warranty that we purchased in good faith, refused to cover the component. While the plan clearly states that the ignition switch is covered. Ford's cost for repair is over $365.

- Denton, TX, USA

Sep 052006

Focus 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford Focus LX and the ignition locked froze. The key wouldn't turn, therefore not allowing my vehicle to start no matter what. The car only has 50000 miles on it and is fairly new. After doing some research on the web, this is a common problem in Ford Focus vehicles. There is even a class action suit going on in California. Ford doesn't recognize this as a recall because it's not a "safety" issue. If my car doesn't start in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially with my kids, this is definitely a safety issue. This is happening to thousands of people and most of them say that they had to get this problem fixed more than once within a 3 year time period.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jul 022006

Focus 4-cyl

About two weeks ago I tried to start my 2004 Ford Focus, but the key would not turn in the ignition. After about 10 tries it finally worked. This afternoon I went to my car to pick up my wife from work and the key would not turn at all. I have tried for over two hours and no results. After some research on the internet I find that this is not an isolated case but rather the norm. Even further research revealed that there is no recall from the Ford company, in fact they are actively denying that there is a problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 112006

Focus 4-cyl

The ignition cylinder locked on my 2004 Ford Focus making it impossible to start; it froze the steering column as well. It occurred late in the evening and left me stranded 50 miles from home. I have since read many reports of the same occurrence to owners of the Ford Focus of various years and trims. This problem seems to occur spontaneously without any forewarning and is of great potential danger to the driver. Focus owners report repairing the problem repeatedly and Ford adamantly denies the defect.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Apr 132005

Focus 4-cyl

Driver placed the key inside of the ignition switch and the key failed to come out of ignition. Driver contacted the dealer for an appointment.

- Rio Linda, CA, USA

Mar 302005

Focus 4-cyl

I parked my car to go work one evening, and I came back and it fails to work.neither of my keys will turn the ifnition.my keys go in and out of the the ignition switch only. My car has 40K miles on it, and it needs a recall immediately.I do not have money to fix right now, so I am stranded.

- Fort Riley, KS, USA

Jan 132005

Focus 4-cyl

The ignition switch and steering column was locked. The owner will contact manufacturer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 012004

Focus 6-cyl

Consumer placed the key inside of the ignition switch and it failed to turn the vehicle on. Consumer had to hit the ignition switch hard in order for the key to come out. Consumer contacted the dealer for inspection and appointment.

- Gary, IN, USA

Oct 072004

Focus 6-cyl

While placing the key inside the ignition switch ignition failed to start up the vehicle, and the key failed to be removed from the ignition. Consumer took vehicle to dealer for inspection, and mechanic stated this vehicle was not on recall, and the warranty expired. Consumer had to pay for parts and labor.

- British Columbia, 00, USA

Sep 102004

Focus 4-cyl

Consumer was unable to start vehicle. It was towed to the dealer, who replaced the ignition lock and cylinder.

- Brockton, MA, USA

May 312004

Focus 4-cyl

Lock cylinder will not operate to start car. Key will not turn. I purchased car used with 24161 miles as used with balance of new car warrentey. First happened at 30810 miles, 35500 miles,40211 miles, and at 42152 miles. The car is unusable when this happens.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Apr 132004

Focus 4-cyl

Ignition cylinder / lock seized and prevented vehicle from starting.

- Lakewood, CA, USA