Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 21)

May 012016

When I accelerate my car hesitate, jerk like it is getting worst. Slow down when take off and while driving

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Nov 242015

Focus 4-cyl

2014 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle high RPM symptoms and transmission shudders while driving. Consumer wants dealership to buy back vehicle. The consumer stated in his opinion, the vehicle was still not shifting properly after the dealer made the repairs.

- Massena, NY, USA

Jan 202016

This car was bought used with 22218 miles on it on 12/29/2015. The car was running fine. By the middle of January 2016, the transmission was slipping. Before we made first payment on 2/9/2016, the transmission was slipping and shuddering going into second gear. Here it is 5/5/2016 and we are supposedly still waiting on a part to come in, we feel like we have bought their problem and we are on our own, and this could be a very serious issue in safety when your car will not go. From dead stop, shifting from first, going into second it shudders, hesitates, in traffic, it's really bad. This was bought for my teenage daughter to go to college, now I'm worried about her safety in it.

- Escatawpa, MS, USA

May 042016

Car hesitates when accelerating, especially from a slow or stop. Cannot tell if its a transmission issue or fuel related. Very dangerous, causing car to buck & jerk. Makes it difficult to control vehicle. Seems to be getting worse the higher the mileage.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 012015

While driving it feels like engine is falling out. The whole car vibrates. Like its stalling out when you take off and it takes a long time to get up and going. I have taken the car to lakeland Ford for a seal kit that was back ordered 6-8 weeks in 2015 in 2016 I had to have another seal kit also back ordered 6-8 weeks they did transmission module replacement and much more I've taken this car back for the same issue multiple times andhavebeen told it's not a lemon L!

- Bartow, FL, USA

Apr 012015

When driving the car shudders and doesn't want to go into gear, have had it into service dept several times for known transmission issue! the problem started shortly after I purchased the vehicle. It's been 2 1/2 months now and still waiting for new clutch to arrive and now my vehicle will not drive at all!

- Commerce, MI, USA

Apr 222016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle vibrated and failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the details could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the parts to repair the vehicle would not be available for two months. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 172015

I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE hatchback. It was bought brand new in September 2014. I was back at the dealership on September 17, 2015 with 17,000 miles because of the shuddering &, hesitations coming from the transmission while driving, stopping, and accelerating. My clutch was replaced on October 15, 2015. I was back to the dealership on January 8, 2016 and again on March 10, 2016, for a "computer reset". the jerking, shuddering, grinding, and stalling have yet to cease and it's becoming more of a hazard & extremely stressful to drive the car on a daily basis. I have to drive 100 miles a day round trip for work. The serviceman at mike reichenbach said it would never be more than 80% due to the type of clutch in the transmission is for a straight drive vehicle. As of today my car is just as bad as ever if not worse, I have been fortunate so far as not be in an accident, but looking for it to happen anyday with the issues in the transmission. I fear for my safety every time I have to stop for any reason because of this stall, hesitation and sometimes slow on acceleration.

- Mullins, SC, USA

Aug 012014

Focus 4-cyl

2014 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to automatic transmission shudders on acceleration and clutch has kicked out of gear into neutral. The consumer stated the transmission has been a problem since the first day, the vehicle was purchased. The transmission was reprogrammed a couple of times, but to no avail. The dealer then stated the clutch was bad. However, the parts were not available.

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Apr 142016

My 2014 Ford Focus is experiencing shuddering issues when shifting between first and second typically. I have taken any end to get the recall done on it for the reprogramming and it helped at first but now the shuttering has continued after about 6 months.

- Garden City, MO, USA

Mar 182016

I just bought this car 1 month ago and when it is at a stop and you hit the accelerator, it shudders between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd. It is getting worse the longer the problem goes on. I have taken it to parkway Ford in winston salem, nc and was told it was a common problem and that the part has been ordered and could take 3+ months before it will come in and my car can be fixed. In the meantime, I am driving a car that acts like it's going to stall out in the middle of the road. Having to wait possibly 3 months for the warranty repairs to be completed is unacceptable.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 012014

I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE hatchback. It was bought brand new in August 2013 and paid in full. I was back at the dealership at less than 15,000 miles because of the grinding, stalling, hesitations, and jerking coming from the transmission while driving, stopping, and acceleration. My clutch has been replaced twice and I have been back to the dealership countless times, for a "computer reset". the jerking, shuddering, grinding, and stalling have yet to cease and it's becoming more of a pain to drive the car on a daily basis. All of the servicemen say the same thing: "it will adjust to your driving or it's supposed to feel that way". I am currently waiting on a new clutch to have it replaced one again. I feel as if I am now stuck with this vehicle with no hope!

- Loris, SC, USA

Apr 112016

Bought car brand new in June 2014. Have had transmission redone. Now having same issue again. Front seat belts replaced. Now need replaced again. Have had dealer repair outside door skin on front passenger door due to Transport damage. Had to take car in to have interior door repositioned due to poor dealer workamanship. I have had this car in for repairs more than any vehicle I have ever owned. Car currently has about 33,000 miles on it.

- Independence, KS, USA

Jan 032016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle accelerated in excess. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifting gear and the linkage in the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred and multiple warnings were displayed across the message board. In addition, the contact stated that the gear shifter was shifted in park and the reverse position and failed to shift out of those positions. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Killingworth, CT, USA

Jun 152015

My car has 33581 miles and already put second set of tires on it. The problem is that the transmission is no good. Problem started at 3000 miles when the car totally shut down in the middle of traffic on the interstate between sylva, nc and waynesville, nc. The car will not take a hill without spinning tires, it even does it at red

- Bryson City, NC, USA

Sep 302015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 65 mph, the transmission jerked excessively. The contact had to slowly remove his foot from the accelerator pedal to stop the jerking. In addition, the horn and the alarm system no longer worked. The air bag warning light illuminated on and off while the contact was driving. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Tannersville, PA, USA

Feb 032016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle vibrating violently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced or rebuilt. The vehicle was repaired with a rebuilt transmission twice, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Mar 282016

Have had the vehicle for just over a year. Had performed well until about 20,000 miles. I do a lot of driving ferrying children to and from school, to sporting events, getting myself to and from work. The vehicle began to hesitate and it seemed like there was a timing issue with the shifting mechanism. I often had to mash down on the accelerator to get it to advance. It is very tricky in traffic esp. On the interstate. We are obliged to use I-10, the busiest highway in America, and to go across the I-10 Mississippi river bridge where such hesitation and lack of control of speed could provoke a fatal accident. Took it to the dealership, the service manager implied that I didn't know how to drive it correctly given that it is not truly an "automatic" transmission. Mind you it is not marketed an anything but an automatic. They performed some kind of computer adjustment. The problem continues to manifest itself however especially after the car has warmed up. Took it back in and the service guy was not very helpful, still implying that I just needed to adjust my method of driving. Am now waiting on a new set of clutches that will "repair" the problem but not get rid of the "shuttering". I have not been given a loaner car in the interim and continue to subject my children to these unsafe conditions. There is obviously a design flaw in this transmission and Ford needs to own up to it and do what is right for customers before there is a major accident and fatalities.

- Port Allen, LA, USA

May 012013

I have been dealing with this issue since just months after purchasing my brand new Focus. As I have been told that while the vehicle is an automatic transmission, it uses a clutch in the transmission like a manual, resulting in an issue with shifting. When accelerating, the vehicle shutters and hesitates, causing severe issues during stop-and-go traffic or in city driving. Additionally, after the shuttle, the vehicle will do one of two things. It will either jerk forward or do nothing at all after letting off the gas pedal. Because you never know which it will be, keeping at least 20 feet (usually more) away from the vehicle in front of you is necessary to avoid an accident. Additionally, the vehicle experiences this while merging on an express way. The RPM gauge will show a significant increase as well as the sound, but the vehicle will not react as the rpms show. It will hesitate and then either jerk forward, or nothing at all. I have taken my Focus to multiple Ford service departments and each time, the dealership does not provide a permanent solution. They will explain that they fixed it, either by installing a new clutch, or giving it a system update, and each time the problem continues back. I have taken my vehicle to dealerships who have acknowledged the problem and have not been able to solve it five separate times. Most recently, I have notice the issue becoming more severe - especially after driving long distances. This is absolutely unacceptable and I am extremely disappointed in Ford for not stepping up and taking ownership of this issue.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Oct 052013

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While accelerating from a stop at low speeds, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and shuttered without warning. In addition, there was an abnormal sound emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA