CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 23)

Jul 082016

Focus

Every year (10,000 miles) I take my car back to Ford for a new clutch. I have had two new clutches in two years. The dealer said that Ford will not admit their is a problem. They told me that I will need a new clutch every year. They said Ford only patches the problem and will not spend the resources to repair properly. The transmission is jerky at most speeds under 50 mph. It is jerky on small hills. The sift is inconsistent from day to day. Please help the driving is not safe.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 012016

Focus

Transmission hesitates and shudders on acceleration, have had it repaired twice and now Ford says that its within the limits and does not need repair drive it some more until it gets worse.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jun 232015

Focus

When I first got the car, I noticed, slight jerking and shuddering. I complained to the dealer, and was told it was "learning". it progressively got worse, and would shudder upon hitting the gas after leaving stop lights/signs instead of moving, until it finally got into gear. It would randomly lurch forward, white in traffic if you hit the gas after you were slowing down or stopped. Etc. I contacted the dealer again, and they flashed the module. It stopped for a while, then started getting worse. I contacted the dealer, and they replaced the clutch pack. It would get better, then start happening. I was then told by the dealer, and Ford, this is normal. It's just how the transmission is. While coming off of an exit, I hit the gas and the car pulled onto the road, then just wouldn't move. I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor and it started shuddering, and finally got in gear and lurched forward. I contacting the dealer again, explaining how unsafe the car was with it stopping and shuddering before it will go, or just randomly lurching forward in traffic. The dealer flashed the computer 4 times, and replaced the clutch pack 3 times. It always gets better, then starts happening again. I finally traded the car in. It's very unsafe when you don't know if your car will just stop and shudder while pulling into traffic, or if it will lurch forward when you touch the gas. I've been told there are several complaints about it. Ford now even offers a rebate if you trade in a car with that transmission, but you have to purchase a Ford to get the rebate. They also still manufacture their cars with a known issue.

- Strasburg, VA, USA

Aug 022016

Focus

From the date of purchase in 2014 this car hesitates upon acceleration shutters and shakes. There have been numerous times when I have felt unsafe and at risk for bodily harm. I have taken it to my dealer numerous times and have been told repeatedly "this is the worst transmission Ford has ever made." But they explain that Ford will do nothing about it. "I wish they would, everyone complains about this car." On numerous occasions while traveling between a stopped position and five, 10, or 15 miles an hour this car hesitates shakes and shimmying. I had it in a little over a month ago with the same issue. They did nothing and told me "Ford says if it falls within a certain parameter there is nothing we can do. Our hands are tied." This morning I was heading to a family funeral, pulled out of my driveway tried to accelerate and my car choked and died. I have been unable to get it restarted and had to have it towed to a different dealership hoping to get better customer service. I honestly believe there should be a class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company for this inferior product. Also, my radio has never worked correctly. If I turn the rear defrost on there is horrible static over the radio. The dealer just keeps on telling me "you have bad reception. "

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 182016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle surged and hesitated. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the transmission control module needed reprogramming. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the failure started two weeks after the vehicle was leased in 2014. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was unable to repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Norwalk, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Focus

My 2014 Ford Focus is having problems with shifting and hesitation at starts. The vehicle, at 35 miles per hour, just jerked and then would not accelerate. The engine was still running but would not respond. The check engine light came on and I pulled the vehicle over. Took the vehicle to the dealer and was told the seals had failed and the tcm transmission control module was reset. The problem came back within 3 weeks and the vehicle has now been with the dealer for going on 3 weeks with no resolution. I am reading complaints from across the country that are almost verbatim to my complaint as well as what the dealers are telling the car owners. When will Ford be held accountable for their known problems with this issue.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Sep 092014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at any speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission and the clutch needed to be replaced. The parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was informed that she would be called back. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 052015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at any speed, when the gear shifter was shifted to the drive position, the vehicle hesitated before it accelerated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be reprogrammed. The transmission was reprogrammed; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500.

- Wyomissing, PA, USA

May 122014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 30 mph, the transmission hesitated without warning. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the dps6 clutch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Brownsdale, MN, USA

Jul 082016

Focus

The vehicle jerks and jumps to gears, feeling like skipping gears, . I have had it to the dealer a number of times, they replaced clutch, still not better, Ford says that is all they can do. The dealer says a known Ford engineering issue and that they wish they'd get recalled as hundreds at just thsi dealer complaints.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jul 072016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. After the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V523000 (power train), the vehicle continued to exhibit transmission failures and the check transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle became inoperable and was towed back to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, the details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,488.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Jul 052016

Focus

Faulty clutch. I have just had the clutch replaced for the second time on the listed vehicle. While picking up the car from the dealer this morning, another Focus came in with the same problem. A coworker has a leased Focus, and he has the same issues. I know two other owners of the Focus, and both have had clutch replacements and continue to have problems. The vehicle, when accelerating, does not shift evenly or smoothly. Often times, it drives as if it is dragging or pulling something, feeling significantly underpowered. When attempting to speed up in situations such as merging into freeway traffic or passing a slower vehicle, it simply will not downshift, or it will down shift too far. Either way, it does not accelerate and poses a safety issue. Last week, before turning the car back into bob maxey (not purchased there, but their service department rocks!), the car would not accelerate while attempting to enter eastbound 1-94 from 12 mile in roseville, mi. I had to take the shoulder because the semi behind did not have room to move over and avoid my Focus that simply would not accelerate fast enough to safely merge into freeway traffic. This is a safety issue and I do not have confidence in this car to perform as it should.

- Chesterfield Township, MI, USA

Jun 082016

Focus

The car shutters during take off. It also shutters at the 10 and 20 mph mark. Clutch was replaced in March 2016 after being on back order for 4 months. Ford extended the warranty on the part because of design issues. Part has malfunctioned again; however, Ford said the shuttering is not sever enough at this time to warrant replacing the part. I have to wait until it shutters worse before they will replace the part.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 242016

Focus

Almost immediately after purchasing I noticed the vehicle had difficulty shifting properly. It seemed to be jumpy when I accelerated after a complete stop. Then, I began to notice the car struggling to accelerate while I merged into traffic. I felt what could be best described as a frog hopping when I was in stop and go traffic. Turning corners also made my car launch forward then backwards suddenly. Car was repaired. Condition slightly improved but I could still feel a constant hesitation upon acceleration. I became used to having to mash my foot onto the gas to get the car to accelerate normally, then taking my foot off as it violently jumped into each gear. After a few weeks, the problem began to occur upon deceleration too, lunging forward suddenly after I had come to a complete stop. I then began experienced a loss of acceleration while sitting at red lights, or in the middle of intersection, while merging onto a on highway, or going around corner. This annoying condition quickly became a serious safety issue when was almost hit on two occasions because of a failure to accelerate. Clutch was then replaced again. Immediately upon receiving my ¿fixed¿ vehicle for the second time, the sputtering continued. This time it was worse. The vehicles rpms seemed to be out of sync with the gear shifts. The car was constantly revving up and down when I was at a consistent speed. When I accelerated the vehicle jerked, skipped, and seemed to lose power before suddenly kicking into drive. When I came to a stop my vehicle always jerked forward before completely stopping. There were several occasions where I nearly rear ended the car in front of me because it suddenly lunged forward after I braked. Just received my car back after the third fixing and I am still experiencing the same shaking, grinding, jolting, and jumping. I have never felt more unsafe in a vehicle.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 232016

Focus

Automatic transmission hesitates, lurches, and stalls in motion on a city street at slower speeds.

- North Lauderale, FL, USA

Jul 022016

Focus

While I was driving my Ford focuse SE it lost the power at the red light. The car died on me, it was the scariest moment, I almost lost my life getting hit by another car trying to push the car to the side. Very unsafe car, would never drive that car again !

- Encino, CA, USA

Aug 132015

Focus

Transmission slipping, rough start, grinding noise. Vehicle has been serviced numerous time. Passenger side front hub and lower arm replaced due to failure of a bearing. Vehicle taken in for the slipping/ rough start, the clutch is on back order. Was told by the service adviser that approximately 38,000 consumers nationwide are waiting for the same part for the same issue. He also advised that the vehicle will always have this issue from having a duel clutch system, and that Ford will not cover any costs past the warranty 36K/50K

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jun 292016

Focus

Transmission shudders from start to 2nd gear. While moving at low speeds (5mph) and accelerating the car jerks that everyone in the car notices. The transmission clutch has been replaced 3 times, the transmission reprogrammed 4 times. Car has less than 40,000 miles. The ball joint has been replaced at 27,000 miles.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jun 222016

Focus

Ford Focus 2014 titanium. Faulty transmission replaced after 15,000 miles. Now I'm approaching 29,000 miles, the power train is jerking again and needs to be replaced again. The power train jerks while in forward and reverse.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Focus

Car was bought new by me in August 2014 with 34 miles on it. At 5,000 miles the transmission began shuttering when accelerated from a stop and now shutters from a stop and when accelerated in motion. The vehicle now has about 14,000 miles on it and it is a normal occurrence for the car to shake and shutter when accelerated.

- Assonet, MA, USA