2014 Ford Focus transmission problems: bad hesitation/jerking when starting from a stop position

Bad Hesitation/Jerking When Starting From A Stop Position

2014 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 7)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

7.9

$1,010

2. recall on transmission (19 reports)
  3. no solution (17 reports)
  4. clutch replacement (9 reports)
  5. install new clutch shaft (6 reports)
  6. transmission control module recall (5 reports)
2014 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Mar 052018

Focus ES 2.0L

click to see larger images

bad hesitation/jerking when starting from a stop position

This transmission problem started like before, with loss of trans engagement, lack of power and check engine light. This time the dealer won't honor the warranty.... this is a well known problem with the Focus and I complained about it from the first service.

Is this problem part of the class action suit against Ford? Do I need a lawyer?

- Gerardo O., Redwood City, US

May 092017

Focus ES 2.0L

The problem started like before with lost of transmission engagement while driving, slipping and a transmission fault message

the dealer replaced the TCM under warranty but recommend a clutch job of $2000

- Gerardo O., Redwood City, US

Dec 012015

Focus SE 2.0L

Took 4 times bringing it in, each time was worse than before. Had the problem for 6 months before they finally fixed it. First two times they said this was normal, third time re-calibrated TCM and the 4th I told them I was leaving it until a new clutch was put in. A week later they had a clutch when originally they said it would be 3 months.

What also happened during this 6 month fiasco was the gas mileage kept on getting worse from averaging 7.8 to 9.1 litres per 100 kms. It was good for 6 months and then started to act up a bit and ever since then (now March 2018) it has gotten to the point as to where it was the 3rd time I brought it in the first time. It is worse when it is driven for a while and it usually is my wife who drives with me a bit on the weekend. Two weekends ago I drove the Focus for approximately 100 kms and as the day went on (shopping at different malls) the shuttering got worse to the point when we left a corner it would shutter convulsively for 50 yards or more. My wife tells me this so I get to see first hand what she is talking about.

Brought it into the dealership today (March 16, 2018) and they tell me they cannot get it to act up. It is within its 250 whatever. This is the same thing they told me the first three times the first go around. What was the last straw the first time around was my wife was telling me that she would merge and the revs would go up but no gas. I said you got to be fooling me. Anyways I drove it to visit my son and daughter in law in Toronto and tried to pass and there was nothing. Just a crazy high rev but no action. That was when I said enough and demanded a new clutch. My wife is stressed with this car and for 3/4 's of our ownership (bought as a demo and was told by the salesman Howell that the problem was fixed for 2014) she has driven a nerve racking car. Excellent otherwise.

My question is how much wear and tear does this car receive (e.g. motor mounts, other tranny parts, etc) with all this shuttering and stuttering? Not good. So I was sent home with a car that was re-calibrated and now shifts at a higher rev. I was told by Matt, the service rep that these cars are European designed and really are made to shift at higher rev points. I guess I will wait until it gets worse and see my wife's blood pressure go up. That is what we did the first round and it is starting again.

- Randall Q., Windsor, ON, Canada

Dec 222017

Focus SE V4

was on recall list when i bought the car in 2016. had to wait a couple months for part to get fixed. was "fixed" jan 2017 now problem has come back as of late 2017 less than a year after being fixed. had it checked last oil change in July 2017 beach ford service didnt feel anything. 2/3/18 had my car in for oil change let them know the shuddering acceleration is back. They said would have to schedule an appointment during the week mon - fri 8am - 5pm for their tech to diagnose but i would probably be charged for the diagnostic test.

- Jennifer M., Virginia Beach, US

Jan 082018

Focus SE 2.0L

I don't feel safe in this vehicle" 2014 Ford Focus"

these vehicles have consistently experienced transmission slips, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, sudden acceleration, delay in downshifts, delayed accelerations and the inability to accelerate.

- Jamal A., Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 202014

Focus

I WAS TOLD THAT MY CAR IS ACTING NORMAL, I JUST NEED TO DRIVE IT ON THE HIGHWAY TO GET IT BROKEN IN. I TOLD FORD THAT MY CAR WASN'T RUNNING IN THIS JERKY WAY WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT, AND I WILL NOT STAND TO BE JERKED OR THE SLOW TAKING OFF ANY LONGER.

Feb 132015

Focus

THIRD TIME TRANSMISSION, CLUTCH, AXLE WORKED ON AND I WAS GIVEN ANOTHER RENTAL TO USE FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK.

Jan 222015

Focus

TRANSMISSION CLUTCH WORKED ON AND I WAS GIVEN A RENTAL CAR FOR CLOSE TO A WEEK.

Aug 102015

Focus ES

I HAVE HAD THE CAR INTO Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland, TN twice for repair with warranty. Now the car is over 70,000 miles and I took it in and they wanted to charge me $172.00 for diagnostics for the same problem I have continuously had. They told me the clutches were no longer under warranty, but to determine if it is the computer module, I had to pay the diagnostic fee. They were willing to keep the car and give me a rental for another safety issues with latches, but I returned the rental and told them to forget about it.

I had already expressed concern of returning the same day with the rental and my car to be picked up, as I was undergoing chemotherapy. I told them I couldn't guarantee how I would feel at the end of the day. In reality I drove 45 miles for my car to be fixed and it did not get fixed. At the time I did not have the money, hence not working, on short term disability due to chemotherapy.

Very, very disappointed with how this issue was managed. Furthermore, Larry Hill Ford was a huge disappointment.

- Deb D., Rocky Face, GA, US

Aug 152015

Focus

My car literally stopped on the street. It was supposedly fixed by Ford yet the problem still exists. They act as if they don't care about consumers safety! Never will I buy another FORD!!!

- Paula C., Indianapolis, US

May 032016

Focus 4 cyl

ever since I purchased the vehicle the transmission has bothered me. When reported to dealer they told me it was just something these cars did, not to worry about it. I surely would like to be able to stop and start without it jerking on me. I do not believe any car should do this and I do not believe all of them do, as I was told.

- Annette A., Martin, TN, US

Aug 222017

Focus V6

This problem is unreal, been back to dealership three times for it and was told there was nothing they could do about it, we were told to take it out on the damn highway and floor it to clear the transmission out, it has gotten so bad that whenever we start up it feels like a damn bucking horse, when we have stopped on occasion on a slight hill like coming out of the hospital parking lot, with foot on brake it started to roll back for no reason, we are so fed up with this we want to junk the car, all we get from Ford is there is nothing wrong with our transmission. This thing is going on way too long, afraid it might cause us to have an accident when we can't start up from a stop sign or stop light, tired of having horns blown at us because car is so slow and bucking so bad at times.

Update from Nov 29, 2017: We are still having problems with the transmission, it is only getting worse, was on 93 North today and almost was re-ended because I tried to move forward when traffic started up again and the car just keep bucking, could only move about 10 miles phr. It has gotten so bad that my wife is afraid to drive the car and most of our traveling is done on the highway from Lowell, Ma to Boston, Ma. When it starts to buck it feels as though we are on a bucking horse. If I wasn't so polite I would use way different language.

- coleman, srpaul, Lowell, US

Jun 012015

Focus SE

it's the transmission, it jerks and sputters when trying to go

- Kristina E., Romulus, US

Jan 142014

Focus LX 2.0L

MY CAR WAS AT 0 MILES AND WHERE I BOUGHT IT THEY TOLD ME THAT PROBLEM WAS GOING TO HAVE TO BE FIXED AFTER THE 5000 MILES, BUT NOTHING HAPPENED. IT WAS AT THE DEALERS 4 OR MORE TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM, SO THEY TOLD ME TO TRADE IT IN AND I LOST A LOT OF MONEY. WHAT CAN I DO TO SUE FORD?

- Cynthia N., El Paso, US

Nov 202016

Focus SE

When I purchased to vehicle, I had bad vibes because someone had return the car with only 12,000 miles. I should have followed my feelings, when I called to report that they car was skipping and jumping, I was told that it was normal. However, after my brother drove the vehicle he told me it was a transmission issue and to take in back to dealership. I did and they replaced the part. Here it is not a year later and I am having the same issue problems. I received a post card several months ago indicating that a Class Action settlement was in progress. I am so angry because I have car notes for 2 more years. This is not fair. I begin researching and found hundreds of complaints online...Are we suppose to accept this and just continue to go back to the dealership for replacement once or twice a year. I DON'T WANT THIS CAR ANYMORE! HELP PLEASE!

- brownru30rb, Bellwood, US

Feb 062017

Focus

my problem with my ford focus my tried of all the recalls and the notices

- Amy G., Los Lunas, NM, US

Feb 102015

Focus

Transmission (in addition to crappy blue tooth, a persistent awful smell since it was new, and the back up alarm not working ever) is terrible. Transmission is jerky and has little power. Super unsafe for pulling out in front of other cars, even when they are a distance away.This has been an issue since it was new and FORD is not interested in fixing the problem for consumers. Got the car brand new on a lease and started noticing problems within a few months - since Feb 2015. Ongoing issues. Its at the dealer again and last time the excuse was that it has computer issues (the computer navigation system or something), this time it is supposedly the clutch. If FORD is aware of the problem why am I still forced to drive a car that is unsafe? The dealer assured me it was just going to be annoying but safe to drive until they get the part in! This is a known issue and the cars are still on the road. Anyone else filing a claim for the lemon law in CA? I think we need a group action claim against Ford.

- defg, Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 172017

Focus SE 2.0L

My husband bought me this car because the car I was driving was a 2007 Ford Focus and was a very dependable car. I bought it new and loved it so he wanted to buy me a newer one and bought the 2014 Ford Focus. The problem started the day we got it. It was hesitating, shuttering, just pretty bad. We took it to Ford and they replaced something on it but it still hesitates pretty bad at times. I don't feel like I have dependable transportation. It seems like the problem keeps getting worse.

- Shelly S., Woodlake, CA, US

Nov 152015

Focus ES V6

I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES. Had transmission problems beginning in 2013. Dealer said it was a computer chip problem. Left car for 2 days while repairs were made. Door lock recall completed in 2014. Had to replace both rear shocks because they had leaked all fluids. Cost $400 +. Got no response from Ford when I asked if this was a common problem.

Also have a 2014 Ford Focus hatchback. Both of these cars were bought new from Ford dealers.

Transmission started having problems in 2015. Dealer had car for 3 days and replaced entire transmission.

Have door lock recall to be completed on my next trip to dealer for regular service.

Both of these cars have been meticulously maintained since new.

- sbright817tb, Phoenix, US

Jan 312017

Focus 3.2L V6

Well when I stop at light it jerks and I have not had it fixed. Do not have money fix it,so what do I do?

- Barbara B., Slaton, TX, US