2014 Ford Focus transmission problems: bad hesitation/jerking when starting from a stop position

Bad Hesitation/Jerking When Starting From A Stop Position

2014 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 6)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

7.9

2. recall on transmission (18 reports)
  3. no solution (16 reports)
  4. clutch replacement (8 reports)
  5. install new clutch shaft (3 reports)
  6. transmission control module recall (3 reports)
2014 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Aug 152015

Focus

My car literally stopped on the street. It was supposedly fixed by Ford yet the problem still exists. They act as if they don't care about consumers safety! Never will I buy another FORD!!!

- , Indianapolis, US

May 032016

Focus 4 cyl

ever since I purchased the vehicle the transmission has bothered me. When reported to dealer they told me it was just something these cars did, not to worry about it. I surely would like to be able to stop and start without it jerking on me. I do not believe any car should do this and I do not believe all of them do, as I was told.

- , Martin, TN, US

Aug 222017

Focus V6

This problem is unreal, been back to dealership three times for it and was told there was nothing they could do about it, we were told to take it out on the damn highway and floor it to clear the transmission out, it has gotten so bad that whenever we start up it feels like a damn bucking horse, when we have stopped on occasion on a slight hill like coming out of the hospital parking lot, with foot on brake it started to roll back for no reason, we are so fed up with this we want to junk the car, all we get from Ford is there is nothing wrong with our transmission. This thing is going on way too long, afraid it might cause us to have an accident when we can't start up from a stop sign or stop light, tired of having horns blown at us because car is so slow and bucking so bad at times.

Update from Nov 29, 2017: We are still having problems with the transmission, it is only getting worse, was on 93 North today and almost was re-ended because I tried to move forward when traffic started up again and the car just keep bucking, could only move about 10 miles phr. It has gotten so bad that my wife is afraid to drive the car and most of our traveling is done on the highway from Lowell, Ma to Boston, Ma. When it starts to buck it feels as though we are on a bucking horse. If I wasn't so polite I would use way different language.

- , Lowell, US

Jun 012015

Focus SE

it's the transmission, it jerks and sputters when trying to go

- , Romulus, US

Jan 142014

Focus LX 2.0L

MY CAR WAS AT 0 MILES AND WHERE I BOUGHT IT THEY TOLD ME THAT PROBLEM WAS GOING TO HAVE TO BE FIXED AFTER THE 5000 MILES, BUT NOTHING HAPPENED. IT WAS AT THE DEALERS 4 OR MORE TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM, SO THEY TOLD ME TO TRADE IT IN AND I LOST A LOT OF MONEY. WHAT CAN I DO TO SUE FORD?

- , El Paso, US

Nov 202016

Focus SE

When I purchased to vehicle, I had bad vibes because someone had return the car with only 12,000 miles. I should have followed my feelings, when I called to report that they car was skipping and jumping, I was told that it was normal. However, after my brother drove the vehicle he told me it was a transmission issue and to take in back to dealership. I did and they replaced the part. Here it is not a year later and I am having the same issue problems. I received a post card several months ago indicating that a Class Action settlement was in progress. I am so angry because I have car notes for 2 more years. This is not fair. I begin researching and found hundreds of complaints online...Are we suppose to accept this and just continue to go back to the dealership for replacement once or twice a year. I DON'T WANT THIS CAR ANYMORE! HELP PLEASE!

- , Bellwood, US

Feb 062017

Focus

my problem with my ford focus my tried of all the recalls and the notices

- , Los Lunas, NM, US

Feb 102015

Focus

Transmission (in addition to crappy blue tooth, a persistent awful smell since it was new, and the back up alarm not working ever) is terrible. Transmission is jerky and has little power. Super unsafe for pulling out in front of other cars, even when they are a distance away.This has been an issue since it was new and FORD is not interested in fixing the problem for consumers. Got the car brand new on a lease and started noticing problems within a few months - since Feb 2015. Ongoing issues. Its at the dealer again and last time the excuse was that it has computer issues (the computer navigation system or something), this time it is supposedly the clutch. If FORD is aware of the problem why am I still forced to drive a car that is unsafe? The dealer assured me it was just going to be annoying but safe to drive until they get the part in! This is a known issue and the cars are still on the road. Anyone else filing a claim for the lemon law in CA? I think we need a group action claim against Ford.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 172017

Focus SE 2.0L

My husband bought me this car because the car I was driving was a 2007 Ford Focus and was a very dependable car. I bought it new and loved it so he wanted to buy me a newer one and bought the 2014 Ford Focus. The problem started the day we got it. It was hesitating, shuttering, just pretty bad. We took it to Ford and they replaced something on it but it still hesitates pretty bad at times. I don't feel like I have dependable transportation. It seems like the problem keeps getting worse.

- , Woodlake, CA, US

Nov 152015

Focus ES V6

I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES. Had transmission problems beginning in 2013. Dealer said it was a computer chip problem. Left car for 2 days while repairs were made. Door lock recall completed in 2014. Had to replace both rear shocks because they had leaked all fluids. Cost $400 +. Got no response from Ford when I asked if this was a common problem.

Also have a 2014 Ford Focus hatchback. Both of these cars were bought new from Ford dealers.

Transmission started having problems in 2015. Dealer had car for 3 days and replaced entire transmission.

Have door lock recall to be completed on my next trip to dealer for regular service.

Both of these cars have been meticulously maintained since new.

- , Phoenix, US

Jan 312017

Focus 3.2L V6

Well when I stop at light it jerks and I have not had it fixed. Do not have money fix it,so what do I do?

- , Slaton, TX, US

May 012017

Focus

I used to like Ford, but this was the first decently new car I bought. I have learned my lesson. Better to buy a car with 170k tested miles than a new piece of junk. The transmission problem is so irritating. They have all these new fancy transmissions that aren't worth anything. I would rather have no computer and a dependable car than all these fancy, useless, items in a shop. I really hope they do something to help. I stepped out on a huge limb to get this car, and am very disappointed.

- , Beech Grove, IN, US

Apr 122016

Focus LS

CAR JERKED TO THE LEFT PARTIALLY CROSSING INTO PASSING LANE. jerked AND BUCKED UNPREDICTABILITY. Serviced by Day Ford in Monroeville Pa.'and Schultz Ford in Harmarville, Pa. The last repair in Harmarville, Pa. involved clutch replacement. The repair improved gas mileage, but the transmission became very noisy and unpredictable jerking, slipping. I believe I paid the balance of my lease and leased a 2016 Ford Cmax. I probably paid too much, but I got a safer car. I do not have any of the paper work, the dealership made the problem sound rare, until I got this letter I had no idea. I am 74 years and don't interact with many people the longer I am retired.

Update from Jul 19, 2017: Added vin number

- , New Kensington, PA, US

Feb 042015

Focus ES 3.2L

• CVT transmission

Have had five trips to have the transmission worked on. Having the power shift replaced in my car every eight months, missing work five times due to this.

Update from Jul 26, 2017: Have had work done five times , on Transmission , was told this time , that they would see me again in 12 weeks

- , Wilmington, US

Jan 012015

Focus

Ford dealer said not to worry about the transmission issues from online reviews. They stated the issue was resolved by a Firmware updated. The issue started within weeks of the purchase and continues to get worse and is very annoying. They will not do anything to fix the situation stating that it is normal.

- , South Milwaukee, US

Apr 282016

Focus SE 2.0L 4 cyl

Ford has really started to drain me. Got the car new in Nov. 2014 & in the first week, it was in the shop!! The service rep then proceeded to say to me " Oh, that's how it is, the car has to get used to the way you drive". I then realized that Ford Motor Company THEMSELVES has been making all Ford service reps say this to the customer. Ford knew that this car was a lemon from the start and they still allowed it to be produced and sold!! Once again, I've been ripped off and made another HORRIBLE financial decision. These automakers don't care. It's been on 3 occasions that I have my foot to the floor and the car would shudder as if it was gonna stall and I've almost gotten NAILED because Ford doesn't care whether we live or die in these cars!! A lot of us have children and mine won't even ride in the car because they're scared!! Thanks Ford, you will be hearing from my lawyer!! We should all take Ford down a peg!! These are our lives and they're in DANGER due to a faulty car with a God awful trans issue!!

- , Macomb, MI, USA

Jun 092017

Focus SE 2.0L 4

Bought the car for the wife 7-7-14 have had the car in 3-times now to fix clutch in transmission. Now I'm into the "extended warranty" and of course there is a deductible of $200.00. Over under in the car now (75,000 miles) Can you say "Bent Over"???

- , San Diego, US

Feb 012017

Focus 2.0L I4 Gdi

Had the clutch replaced in 2015 on my 2014 Ford Focus. In the past 6 months, my car began to have a grinding noise on acceleration. A brake job was recommended and completed at Eden Prairie Ford Dealership in 3/2017 and they recommended new tires. At Valvoline (on my regular oil changes, I have had tires routinely checked and Valvoline indicates the tires are not yet in need of changing). In the meantime, the car has progressed to having a shudder on acceleration which is also accompanied by drivers giving me "the bird" as my car fails to accelerate adequately in city traffic.

From everything I read, Ford will lie to me, take my money, suggest repairs that do not fix the transmission "f*ck up" that they have consciously covered up since 2010. I also understand that resale values on the 2014 Focus have plummeted due to the transmission issues.

I was clearly deceived by Dokmo Ford in Northfield as they clearly had to have known about the transmission problems when they sold me my new 2014 Ford Fuckme.

- , Chaska, MN, US

May 012017

Focus

I bought my 2014 Focus in January of 2015 brand new. It seemed like almost instantly I started having issues with it jerking when accelerating. Every single time I accelerate from a start, it jerks and shakes badly. My car has been in twice and Ford has not fixed this problem. I am about to send it in a third time, as it is still under warranty. If they cannot fix it, I am getting rid of it. Ford customer service at my dealer is terrible, and they continue making excuses for the issue and telling me they fixed it, when they didn't. I think it needs a new transmission, but they don't want to do that while it's still under warranty. It has been nothing but issues and a headache. I wish I had done more research before purchasing.

- , Akron, US

Feb 012014

Focus SE

I have been leasing Ford cars for me and my wife since 1992. In December 2013, I leased a Ford Focus with an automatic transmission from Mike Dorian Ford, in Clinton Twp., Michigan. The car almost immediately started this "sputtering" anytime I would move forward from a complete stop. The hesitation was at every stop on every take off. I took it in for service a this dealership and it was told to me that this is a known common problem at Ford and it involved a clutch issue with this automatic transmission. Ford was aware of the problem, yet continued to sell these cars. My salesperson after selling me this known lemon car blew me off and acted like I was bothering her with my complaints. I just bought the most dangerous vehicle that I have ever driven (44 cars total) in my life. And it was brand new! After taking my car in for 3 repairs on this SERIOUS PROBLEM, and pretty much being without a car at least a week each time it went in for repair, it never got any better, after which the service manager at the dealership told me that it is such an issue that they can't offer me any other repair options. So basically I was screwed and I had 2 1/2 years left on my lease. My wife refused to drive this car at all. It was NOT SAFE by any means. Glad to say I returned the car yesterday (3 years later). All that and I am still alive. I could not be more dissatisfied with whole Ford situation and the way I was treated by this dealership and completely blown off by all of its employees. It's over for me and this Ford Focus nightmare and I am not finished yet. I plan on filing a formal complaint with the National Highway Safety people. The real crime hear is that Ford Motor is still selling the same Ford Focus cars with the same lousy clutch transmissions today. It has now been 3 years that they have been selling these faulty transmissions, with little recourse from anyone. All about the profits, with no regards for the safety of it's customers. Is that the new American Standard?

- , Detroit, US