Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 7 of 21)

Jan 132016

My vehicle has been taken in for the recommended recall in regards to the transmission problem. After driving it for about 20 miles the car continues to rev and stall when starting from a stop. Now I am taking back to the dealership because they will re-test it even when thought they know the problem persists. The dealership made me contact Ford Motor Company because they did all they could do. Now Ford Motor Company is making me go back to the dealership. This issue needs to be resolved quickly as now I am afraid to drive my vehicle.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Original issue began immediately after purchase 3/28/15. Made appt. With dealership for April 15, 2015. I was told the car needed a new clutch. After a complaint to my state attny general, the repair was made in mid May. Car drove ok for a couple of months at which point the transmission issues began again. I took the car to the dealership on 1/4/2016 and was told yet again, it needed a new clutch. I have not heard anything from the dealership since that day. Specifically, upon acceleration the car stutters badly and does not want to catch the gear. During driving, if you take your foot off the gas to turn without touching the brake, transmission does not change gears; it roars and the tachometer needle swings to high rpms before it levels out. When you park the car, turn it off and take your foot off the brake, it sounds like something is banging against something else. If the car is parked on the slightest incline, upon starting, it is difficult to get the car to shift into reverse or drive. Furthermore, during routine driving you can detect unneeded shifting by the transmission. I regret the day I bought this car. Two bad clutches in less than a year. This transmission was junk from the beginning.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Feb 142016

Shuddering of the auto transmission, erratic shifting, bogging down during acceleration/wont go. Pulled out of the driveway today onto the state highway I live on and the car shuddered and would not go, was almost hit in the side due to the cars lack of power to enter traffic. These cars should be recalled immediately!

- Griffin, GA, USA

Oct 302015

I bought this car Oct of 2015; I took it back the next day becuz the transmision was shuttering and stalling. The dealer took it to Ford said it was the clutch and transmission shift module and everything is on back order. Ive been waiting ever since for Ford to fix it. They tried to adjust it, little help. This is an ongoing problem with this dual clutch 6 speed and Ford wont admit its a problem, even though on line numerous complaints on this issue. I need help

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 102015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at a low rate of speed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and also made an abnormal noise. When the contact applied the accelerator pedal, the abnormal noise grew louder and the vehicle hesitated and shutterd. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice, but they were unable to provide a specific diagnosis to prevent the failure. The manufacturer was notified and was unable to provide a permanent remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Automatic transmission slips and grinds causing the car to sometimes shake and vibrate. Downshifts while driving causing the car to seem to lose power while accelerating. I have almost been involved in numerous accidents. It is very unsafe and I am sometimes frightened to drive it. I took it to the dealership for repair in November, 2015 but Ford has yet to repair it 3 months later. The problem has gotten much worse and I fear for my life while driving it. I bought the car with 26000 miles on it and it now has 32000 miles.

- Mill Hall, PA, USA

Feb 082016

My 2014 Ford Focus has had the clutch pack replaced three times by the dealer. The car has 19,000 miles on it. The transmission shudders upon acceleration from a stop and when accelerating from a slow speed doesn't down shift causing heavy vibration. The repair lasts a few weeks to a few months then comes back. The parts for the last repair took about 10 weeks for the dealer to receive. Two dealers I have talked to said the clutch pack on the Ford Focus and Ford fiesta automatic transmissions are faulty and is part that fails constantly. My vehicle now has 19,000 miles on it and now has it's fourth clutch pack. The transmission is an automatic. I have paperwork for all of the repairs.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Jul 102014

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle did not shift into any gear and the engine revved highly and caused the transmission to slip. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106. Updated 04/14/16

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 142016

When I begin to pull off the transmission hesitates to go into the gears along with jerking and chugging noises, this happens with ever stop and go motion.

- Henderson, NC, USA

Dec 172015

My car has been a problem since I purchased it new in December 2013. It would make a loud grinding noise, slip when shifting or when downshifting to come to a stop, bog down when taking off and also jerk when shifting after taking off from a stop. I've taken it to the Ford dealership several times for the issues and they fixed the clutch once but even since then it still has issues shifting. Also since then I've had to replace the fuel pump as there was a recall on it for my car which the dealership was surprised by because it was the first of this recall they had seen for this car. I've also called Ford headquarters twice personally to see about a buy back or trade deal and they said they could do nothing for me at this time. This car is a brand new, junk, safety hazard and needs taken off the road but Ford will do nothing. I'm disabled so if it causes a crash I will die instantly and then they will have a big lawsuit on their hands from my family. I've also contacted attorneys and am part of the class action lawsuit for this car as well as speaking to a lemon law attorney. All they would have to do is step up and except responsibility for this and make it right but they won't do anything.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 272014

The transmission hesitates when stopped then to accelerate. It has caused me to almost have a few accidents. The front suspension makes noises. Ford can't seem to fix either issue. I know a lot of other Focus owners are having issues.

- Harrisburg, SD, USA

May 012015

The powertrain transmission does a herky jerky jumping when I accelerate from a stop to start position. If I am driving and have to slow down and re-accelerate it hesitates and will not speed up. It hesitates to go on acceleration at other times. Ford has told me this is normal and this is not normal. I am worried that I will get into an accident while driving due to the acceleration problems, the bogging down while driving and the jumping. It has skipped a gear while driving and makes grinding noises. Ford will do nothing about this and states this is normal for this transmission. This has been going on since I bought the vehicle. They won't take it back or correct the situation. I have taken it to two different shops to have it checked out and both said it checked out "fine" because that's what Ford tells them to say.

- Pawnee, IL, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 5 mph, the transmission exhibited hesitation in a severe jerking motion. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the transmisison failed to shift gears and the low tire pressure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two separate occassions where the power train control module was reset each time. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who test drove the vehicle and confirmed that the transmission did not function properly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,361. Updated 06/21/16

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jan 312015

The automatic transmission shudders and stalls causing the car to accelerate eratically thereby creating unsafe driving conditions for the driver and motorists around the driver. Ford refuses to admit that there is a problem and continues to sell these unsafe cars.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 042016

I previously had a 2012 Ford Focus, which left me stranded in the middle of a bridge after a recall part broke. (Ford in the letter sent on the recall stated they could not fix the part that broke until it broke). So I had to wait until that day happened. That was the second strike against them. I had already been in for diagnostic checks and reprogramming several times over the years I owned the car. Then they had to replace the clutch and tcm; kept my car for 3-4 days. So after all that was fixed I traded and got a 2014 Ford Focus hatchback. All that stuff was supposed to be behind me and no glitches in this year. After 15,000 miles was put on the car the clutch started acting up again and progressively got worse. The shuttering and stuttering become so bad I thought my car was going to fall apart. From a dead stop to a go (20-30 mph) it had such a hard time shifting gears that the RPM's would just take off. Grinding noises under the car upon acceleration. When in cruise control it would just lose speed on it's own, cruise set for 60mph and RPM"S would just drop outta no where like the car was about to stall. Took it in and sure enough new clutch and seals were already needed (this car was purchased in April 2015 and the clutch went out in January 2016). They kept the car a wk (at no time was I offered a rental) had to borrow my parents vehicles to get around; my husband needed his car. Had the car back a wk and have already taken it in to be reprogrammed B/C yet again we are having shuttering and stuttering issues as well as problems upon acceleration. When I check 2014 Focus recalls there are some major recalls. I was issued a recall on my VIN# for the tcm already. They have increased my warranty to 100,000 B/C they know I will be back for more repairs and the service guy stated replacing the clutch is only temporary, I will be back for a new one again and again.

- Omega, GA, USA

Jan 252016

Car hesitates and shutters when driven. This is worse at lower speeds or when turning. This happens both on the highway and on city streets. It's been serviced 4 times for this issue, each time the module requires reprogramming, but the problem persists. Recently the check engine soon light had been on. We've been to the dealer and they repaired it, but the engine light has turned on again only 5 days after the last repair. I've checked and the Focus has 5 different active recalls, 2 of them with regards to power train, but this car seems to be excluded from them at this time.

- Boyertown, PA, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while attempting to drive, the vehicle started to shutter and hesitated as if it was losing power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that there was an intermittent transmission clutch shutter. As a result, the clutch plates needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Oct 222015

I have escaped being hit multiple times with my car doing this. I have a fear I am going to be rear ended or killed because of my car. The car stalls on the road there is something wrong with the transmission our car has been at the dealership for over a month, second time on the transmission jerking and stalling on the road when you would be stoped at a red light then in motion it jerked when you increased your speed, very unsafe to drive and no one is doing nothing about it. Ford can not fix the problem. Should be a national recall.. not japordizing my family life for a car that stalls on the road.

- Vinton, VA, USA

Jan 202016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle started jerking and shifting from the transmission. The speedometer decreased in speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jan 152015

Car surges at take off, long hesitation while accelerating on the highway and clunking noise at stop. There has been a PCM update, tcm update and tcm reset which did not help. Then they replaced the clutch in the R/R transmission and after driving 3000 miles it has started all over again.

- Norco, CA, USA