CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 9 of 23)

Mar 012014

Focus

Between first and second the gear the car shudders while trying to shift resulting in loss of power, no acceleration control, and discomfort. This is a major safety issue that has not been addressed by Ford. They continue to say that it is supposed to be like that but did not inform me when I purchased the vehicle that it would do this.

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 022016

Focus

At 26000 miles I took car to dealer again for the car grinding and jerking at low speed (10 miles per hour) and not having power on acceleration at 40 mph. The car just decelerates for awhile before it finally goes. I was told that my car is needing a second clutch replacement. The vehicle is not even 2 years old. But it will be about 10 weeks before the part will be in. I had the clutch replaced in October 2014 (shards of metal were found in the bell housing) and had their recall of the tcm performed fall last year. What is sad is that the dealer/Ford argues with the consumer and tries to keep telling me everything is normal. This is not the first complaint I have filed on this (reference #10726101). These cars are dangerous and should not be on the road.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 152015

Focus

Transmission shudders and bucks in first and second gear. Loses power when shuddering. Difficult if not life threatening to drive at low speeds around town, in rush hour traffic. Brought in for recall and had transmission re programmed, but is now worse than before. Did research online regarding issue and found many with the exact same issue. Vehicle purchased 4/14 and has less than 15K miles. This is in addition to fuel pump recall that I received 11/15 and parts for that recall are still not available 3/16.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Feb 242016

Focus

I have the same "shuddering" issues as many of these other complaints. I have had the transmission reprogrammed several times and the issue goes away temporarily and then comes back. Worse, the vehicle has stalled while driving on the highway twice. I thought the first time was a fluke because I was able to get going again, but after the second time I had it towed to a dealer. They started the car and let it run for an hour, then plugged in the computer, and called me and said they didn't find anything wrong with it. Meanwhile I see several recalls online related to engine stalling related to electrical signals and fuel pump issues. While my car doesn't have any outstanding recalls right now, I can't help but believe this is the issue. I drive over 300 miles each weekend on busy highways, and now I have a car payment on a vehicle I can't drive because no one can fix it and the problem is still there, a huge safety hazard! I will never buy a Ford again, and I'm selling my stock.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

Mar 012016

Focus

Transmittion shudders 1st to 2nd gear upon acceleration and while turning slow to stalls in traffic. Grinding noise from transmittion while driving and in park. Loss of power from start in traffic. Erratic transmittion gear changes while driving in traffic. Vehicle violently rolls backwards when on a slight incline and vehicle placed into reverse. 2nd time Ford serviced vehicle and problem still exists. Problems exist every time vehicle is in motion. Started around 7000 miles on new vehicle. Current mileage is 15400.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Feb 122016

Focus

2014 Ford Focus - 28,000 miles: Transmission fault service now: While driving on a toll bridge at 80 mph the car started to jerk and the following lights appeared: Brake-ABS-car on road-car on road off: I was able to coast off the toll and park in an exxon. I had the car towed to maxwell Ford. It took them eight days to "fix" the problem module transmission control. They extended the warranty: 10 years, 150,000 miles. I am driving it now, but the car is now pulling while driving and shuddering, hesitating and then jerking. To have a new car completely shut down on a toll highway, with cars coming at you at 85mph was the most insanely scary, dangerous & life threatening experience I have ever had in my life. I trusted Ford with my safety, my money and my life. Why isn't this problem under recall? someone is going to get killed behind this problem.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Jun 022015

Focus

This car shakes and shutters when trying to move. This car seams to be unsafe when making a left turn into traffic. Does not have power when need.I have brought the car in a few times for computer upgrades. This has not solved the problem.even the dealer told me this transmission is un fixable

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jan 132016

Focus

My vehicle has been taken in for the recommended recall in regards to the transmission problem. After driving it for about 20 miles the car continues to rev and stall when starting from a stop. Now I am taking back to the dealership because they will re-test it even when thought they know the problem persists. The dealership made me contact Ford Motor Company because they did all they could do. Now Ford Motor Company is making me go back to the dealership. This issue needs to be resolved quickly as now I am afraid to drive my vehicle.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Focus

Original issue began immediately after purchase 3/28/15. Made appt. With dealership for April 15, 2015. I was told the car needed a new clutch. After a complaint to my state attny general, the repair was made in mid May. Car drove ok for a couple of months at which point the transmission issues began again. I took the car to the dealership on 1/4/2016 and was told yet again, it needed a new clutch. I have not heard anything from the dealership since that day. Specifically, upon acceleration the car stutters badly and does not want to catch the gear. During driving, if you take your foot off the gas to turn without touching the brake, transmission does not change gears; it roars and the tachometer needle swings to high rpms before it levels out. When you park the car, turn it off and take your foot off the brake, it sounds like something is banging against something else. If the car is parked on the slightest incline, upon starting, it is difficult to get the car to shift into reverse or drive. Furthermore, during routine driving you can detect unneeded shifting by the transmission. I regret the day I bought this car. Two bad clutches in less than a year. This transmission was junk from the beginning.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Feb 142016

Focus

Shuddering of the auto transmission, erratic shifting, bogging down during acceleration/wont go. Pulled out of the driveway today onto the state highway I live on and the car shuddered and would not go, was almost hit in the side due to the cars lack of power to enter traffic. These cars should be recalled immediately!

- Griffin, GA, USA

Oct 302015

Focus

I bought this car Oct of 2015; I took it back the next day becuz the transmision was shuttering and stalling. The dealer took it to Ford said it was the clutch and transmission shift module and everything is on back order. Ive been waiting ever since for Ford to fix it. They tried to adjust it, little help. This is an ongoing problem with this dual clutch 6 speed and Ford wont admit its a problem, even though on line numerous complaints on this issue. I need help

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 102015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at a low rate of speed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and also made an abnormal noise. When the contact applied the accelerator pedal, the abnormal noise grew louder and the vehicle hesitated and shutterd. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice, but they were unable to provide a specific diagnosis to prevent the failure. The manufacturer was notified and was unable to provide a permanent remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Focus

Automatic transmission slips and grinds causing the car to sometimes shake and vibrate. Downshifts while driving causing the car to seem to lose power while accelerating. I have almost been involved in numerous accidents. It is very unsafe and I am sometimes frightened to drive it. I took it to the dealership for repair in November, 2015 but Ford has yet to repair it 3 months later. The problem has gotten much worse and I fear for my life while driving it. I bought the car with 26000 miles on it and it now has 32000 miles.

- Mill Hall, PA, USA

Feb 082016

Focus

My 2014 Ford Focus has had the clutch pack replaced three times by the dealer. The car has 19,000 miles on it. The transmission shudders upon acceleration from a stop and when accelerating from a slow speed doesn't down shift causing heavy vibration. The repair lasts a few weeks to a few months then comes back. The parts for the last repair took about 10 weeks for the dealer to receive. Two dealers I have talked to said the clutch pack on the Ford Focus and Ford fiesta automatic transmissions are faulty and is part that fails constantly. My vehicle now has 19,000 miles on it and now has it's fourth clutch pack. The transmission is an automatic. I have paperwork for all of the repairs.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Jul 102014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle did not shift into any gear and the engine revved highly and caused the transmission to slip. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106. Updated 04/14/16

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 142016

Focus

When I begin to pull off the transmission hesitates to go into the gears along with jerking and chugging noises, this happens with ever stop and go motion.

- Henderson, NC, USA

Dec 172015

Focus

My car has been a problem since I purchased it new in December 2013. It would make a loud grinding noise, slip when shifting or when downshifting to come to a stop, bog down when taking off and also jerk when shifting after taking off from a stop. I've taken it to the Ford dealership several times for the issues and they fixed the clutch once but even since then it still has issues shifting. Also since then I've had to replace the fuel pump as there was a recall on it for my car which the dealership was surprised by because it was the first of this recall they had seen for this car. I've also called Ford headquarters twice personally to see about a buy back or trade deal and they said they could do nothing for me at this time. This car is a brand new, junk, safety hazard and needs taken off the road but Ford will do nothing. I'm disabled so if it causes a crash I will die instantly and then they will have a big lawsuit on their hands from my family. I've also contacted attorneys and am part of the class action lawsuit for this car as well as speaking to a lemon law attorney. All they would have to do is step up and except responsibility for this and make it right but they won't do anything.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 272014

Focus

The transmission hesitates when stopped then to accelerate. It has caused me to almost have a few accidents. The front suspension makes noises. Ford can't seem to fix either issue. I know a lot of other Focus owners are having issues.

- Harrisburg, SD, USA

May 012015

Focus

The powertrain transmission does a herky jerky jumping when I accelerate from a stop to start position. If I am driving and have to slow down and re-accelerate it hesitates and will not speed up. It hesitates to go on acceleration at other times. Ford has told me this is normal and this is not normal. I am worried that I will get into an accident while driving due to the acceleration problems, the bogging down while driving and the jumping. It has skipped a gear while driving and makes grinding noises. Ford will do nothing about this and states this is normal for this transmission. This has been going on since I bought the vehicle. They won't take it back or correct the situation. I have taken it to two different shops to have it checked out and both said it checked out "fine" because that's what Ford tells them to say.

- Pawnee, IL, USA

Nov 242015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 5 mph, the transmission exhibited hesitation in a severe jerking motion. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the transmisison failed to shift gears and the low tire pressure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two separate occassions where the power train control module was reset each time. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who test drove the vehicle and confirmed that the transmission did not function properly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,361. Updated 06/21/16

- South Portland, ME, USA