CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

3.5

2014 Ford Focus wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 062016

Focus

While driving at approximately 55 mph on highway the driver side front tire failed catastrophically causing temporary loss of control. Car was safely pulled to side of highway. Upon inspection, it was noted that the sidewall had failed in multiple places. Car was carefully driven approximately 2000 feet to safe location for wheel removal and replacement with spare. Upon removal it was noted that tire had failed in multiple locations on both sidewalls. There was no evidence of road hazard damage to the tread area nor was any road debris noted at the time of the incident.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 122015

Focus

Continental tires on my 2014 Ford Focus SE, also noticed other complaints for same thin from others. Front passenger tire has developed bubble in sidewall under normal driving conditions. Bought vehicle brand new in raleigh, nc. Vehicle and tires have 30,000 miles.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Dec 072015

Focus

The car was driven by my daughter driving straight down a residential street at approximately 40 mph.my daughter hear a loud pop sound and the front passenger tire suddenly blew out, causing severe rim damage, inner and outer tie rod damage, dent to the inner fender, and the hub cap split. There is a huge gaping flap on of the side of the tire. The tire is made by Continental sold by Ford.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Oct 072015

Focus

On 10/07/15 I took my 2014 Ford Focus in to check air pressure on tires after the TPMS light turned on a couple days prior when I was driving on the way to work on normal pavement. They checked the tires and found leaks on right front and rear tires. Ford mechanic told me they were unrepairable. He tried getting me into new tires but why if I only had 12000 miles on them. I didn't understand. When I asked if the waranty covered he said they didn't but im sure it does.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Sep 302015

Focus

Previously, due to the transmission shifting into reverse while the gear selector is in "D" drive, I backed into a female pedestrian hitting her and almost running her over. There are still scratches from her rings on my back bumper. Ford has performed numerous tsb's and recalls to "fix" the issue. Upon the most recent tsb and recall update, I was promised it would take care of any issues, including an issue where the vehicle would shudder and search for a gear before engaging and spinning out from a complete stop. After driving it for 30 miles, I noticed the engine running rough, shaking, and slowing down while in idle. I stopped for a refuel. I got back in the vehicle and calculated my mpg's as I always do - only 19mpg, which Ford says is "within spec" as long as it is not more than 8mpg off. (the on board mpg calculator shows 22.7mpg - always incorrect). It should be 26city, 36hwy. I placed the gear selector in "D" drive (as was also referenced in the on board screen). Once pressing the accelerator, the vehicle's in dash screen flashed that I was in "R" reverse and the vehicle lurched backwards. I braked, then the engine revved and went automatically back into "D." I drove 2 blocks, at a speed of 40 mph in "D, " it again switched to "R" revving the engine, then slowed to a stop. I pulled over, turned the engine off and waited before turning it back on. The drive home, it would jump between gears "searching." I let it sit overnight, and today it has not exhibited these actions. I'm uploading a photo showing the car doing 35 in the "R" position with the RPM jumped up to 3500. I was actually going forward. In "R, " car should not go over 20mph. This is evidence that it switched mid "D" drive. Also, the tires are starting to form pits and has a circumference of separation/splitting which dealership said is "fine." This is causing a vibration and whirring noise.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 302015

Focus

When I take off from being stopped, my car drags with a vibration. When I pick up speed on the freeway my car slides to the left and I lose the control of the steering. My phone numbers have never been able to be sync to my car because the electrical part is defective. My tires light stays on off and on. It feels as if something is getting loser under the rear of my car. On fox 2 news this morning, they announced a recall on Ford car axles. Today is October 1, 2015. The date of the last incident is given below. But I have been having problems for a while. When I took my car to the dealership about the light and tires, they just reset it. They didn't take time to test drive it and really address my problems with this car. I don't want to have a accident or die in my car. I would like to get these problems taken care of.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 302014

Focus 4-cyl

Occasionally when backing up going forward or turning the wheel the car makes a suttle grinding noise.

- Fenton, MI, USA