CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Ford Fusion has a massive number of NHTSA complaints (over 1,000) about sudden deceleration while driving.

The Federal investigation was closed in March 2014 when Ford agreed to a voluntary "customer satisfaction program" covering 1.6 million vehicles that extends the warranty on the throttle body to 10 years/150,000 miles.

Unfortunately it's not a recall, so Fusion owners have to wait for the inconvenience of the throttle body failing before Ford will fix it.

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 082014

Fusion

There were two events with the electronic throttle cutting off while driving, though, engine did not stall, requiring reset by turning off the ignition then restarting the car. At the time the throttle cutting off there was a yellow wrench indicator light light on my dash. This mimics NHTSA action number: PE13003, however, this action number does not include my VIN number.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

May 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on interstate, car suddenly lost power. Check engine light and wrench came on. Turned the car off and started it back up and the car acted fine but repeated this process 5 more times on the way home.causing cars to almost run in to the back of the car. Found on line where, Ford was extending a warranty on 2010 Fusion throttle body for 150,000 miles. Took the car in to the keith hawthorne Ford dealership in belmont, nc and service manager said this was true if it was indeed the throttle body. Called back later to check and said that it was indeed the throttle body but my car even though itis a 2010 Ford Fusion with low miles is not covered but had no reason why.

- Mount Holly, NC, USA

Aug 292013

Fusion

Driving in far left lane at highway speed. The car had been on for about 10 minutes after sitting in parking lot all day. It was 96 degrees. Car started to vibrate and slow down. I noticed that the tool light was on. Obviously I had entered into limp mode and found a way to cross four lanes of rush hour traffic to make it to the emergency lane. Once stopped engine loped erratically and would not accelerate. Engine was non-responsive to pedal changes. Put car in park and shut the engine off. I waited 30 seconds and started the car again and drove home (26 miles) without further incident. It should be noted that I have experienced surging in the engine this past week. Symptoms point to the throttle body; but this is speculation as I have not had the car diagnosed by a professional. I am aware that there is a current investigation into this matter. This event happened at highway speeds and could have been disastrous. Driving can be inherently dangerous and parts do break; but, the fact that this has been a known issue for quite some time warrants an additional report.

- Lagrange, KY, USA

Jan 142014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving my kids home from school and as we were turning I pressed on the gas and it stalled, I pressed it again and nothing. Then today same thing in the middle of the intersection thank god there wasn't a lot of traffic.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Instance #3 (in 2 days). After I left the breakfast place (see instance #2), I drive about a mile and it started shaking again and would not go. I turned it off and restarted. This was at a light that just turned green in heavy atlanta morning traffic btw. ~~I drive it to the dealership and explained what it was doing. Interesting thing is the service writer said he was pretty sure he knew what it was and said throttle body but could be the engine. ~~ he said he thought it was under warranty but I got a call later saying, sorry, no the throttle body is not covered under warranty. I did an internet search and found carcomplaints.com with five other owners of this made, year and model that had this same exact problem in 2013. Add to this the service writer at the dealership knew what the problem was just by my initial description. Why is this not a recall? a car suddenly loosing all propulsion is a danger to the driver and others.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Nov 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving approximately 70mph at night on the interstate when engine stopped producing power. Rough idle and vibration, forcing me to coast to the shoulder. Pressing gas pedal had no effect even though engine was running. I attempted to restart and was successful. This occurred four times during my 30 mile trip. Each time I was forced to coast to the side of the road during moderate traffic. Once on a side street I was forced to stop in the driving lane as there was no shoulder. Very dangerous. On all of the occasions the wrench light illuminated as well as the check engine light. I called the dealer the next morning and they were very familiar with the problem. My car was out of warranty, so I was forced to pay for the part and labor. Ford knows that there is a faulty part that causes a hazardous loss of power and control of the vehicle. Error code was P2111.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Nov 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle almost stalled like it was starving for gas. Has done it several times while driving normal highway speeds.

- West Wareham, MA, USA

Oct 172013

Fusion

The car stalled and the engine light and battery light went on. I shut off the car and started the car again. It works for a while and sometimes starts again.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Oct 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car was running normally, about 30 miles per hour, all of a sudden the car began jerking and slowed to a crawl and seemed as though it was going to stall. I was able to get to the edge of the road and put my hazard flashers on and turned the car off. I restarted it and the car then seemed to run normally. This has happened multiple times. Luckily during light traffic and not on a highway. At highway speeds it would be a death trap, coming to a halt in speeding traffic. The mechanic said this is a known defect in this model car and Ford knows about it. Since the part costs about $200 they don't want to do a recall since it would be costly.

- Olmsted Falls, OH, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion

Car lost power tool light came on. Turned car off and back on started hard but was able to drive 10 more miles and it did the same thing. Very dangerous on expressway loosing power.

- Montrose, MI, USA

Aug 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Without warning, engine stalled on highway at 60 mph causing rapid deceleration. After restart, continued intermittent stalling without warning creating a hazardous situation.

- West Monroe, NY, USA

Aug 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving West bound I-275 in northern Kentucky, near I-71 when the vehicle lost power. I narrowly missed being hit by other vehicles as I moved to the emergency lane. Turned the car off and then on and everything seemed normal. I drove to a nearby Ford dealership and they stated the problem was likely a defective throttle body. They replaced the throttle body and I have not had any further problems. Based on internet search, this is a common problem and one that is a safety issue. Please issue a recall.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Aug 192013

Fusion

Twice now I was driving when my car began to shake/jump. The wrench light came on and I lost power to the car, couldn't use the gas peddle and steering was awful. I had to completely stop in the middle of the road, put the car in park, turn it off and then back on. I was able to take it home and drive again but it keeps happening. This is not safe for me or other drivers.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Fusion

I was traveling at highway speed when suddenly lost power and unable to accelerate. Pulled over shut the engine off and in about 30 seconds restarted the engine and was able to drive off with no issues.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stalls while driving, my husband thought it was bad gas and we let it go then it stalled again while driving 60mph. I searched the internet and it seems a lot are doing that, parts on backorder, there are so many. What does it take to get a recall. Someone to die."?????????"

- Dacula , GA, USA

Aug 022013

Fusion

I was driving my morning commute doing about 65 mph on the interstate when there was a clunking type noise from the engine and then the car just would not accelerate. I was able to pull over to the shoulder, put it in park and turned it off. I then restarted the car and it drove just fine. I took it to the dealership that morning and after having the vehicle all day I was told they could not find anything wrong and just reset the computer because they said there was probably a malfunction with the computer that sent a signal to the engine which caused this to happen. That cost me $103 to just reset the computer. Then 4 days later it happens to me again while driving about 60 mph on a highway. I did the same thing by putting it in park, shutting if off and then restarting it. At that point I decided to drop it off at the dealership for them to check the next morning beings it was after hours and they obviously did not fix the problem the first time. On the way to dropping it off at the dealership it happened again while getting on the interstate. I guess we will have to wait and see what lame excuse they come up with this time.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 052013

Fusion

Driving about 35 miles an hour when the car makes a muffled clunking noise and the speedometer starts going towards 0. I pull over, turn off the car turn it back on and it runs fine for about 5 miles and does it again, this time the noise is louder, the engine light comes on and I can smell burning. I was able to pull into a parking lot, called a tow truck and had it towed to the dealership. I've just been told it is the throttle body and it will be about $600 to repair it. My warranty expired 34 days ago.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Nov 282012

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway in November 2012, going about 70mph my car lost power and began to shake, my check engine light came on as well as the transmission light. I turned the car off and then it started it and it was fine. I took it into my local Ford dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. July 25 2013 I was only going about 10mph and the same thing happened again, from July 25th till Aug 3 this happened about 10 different times all going about 30mph. The check engine light stayed on for 2 days Aug 2/3. I took it in again to my local dealership on Aug 6 2013 were they told me my electronic throttle body was bad and need replaced and was going to cost me around $670, and my car is under warranty but this part is not covered. I see that alot of other have had the same problem and this part should be recalled asap. Im not paying to fix and part that is faulty in so man Y vehicles.

- Berry Creek, CA, USA

Jul 172013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving and just stops on me.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car shut down when I was on 288 running 70 had to pull over cut car off start it back up then it did it again 15 min later on 95 I bought a new throttle body installed it and now its doing fine.

- Petersburg, VA, USA