CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the wrench light illuminated. The contact stated that on another occasion while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a busy road in rush hour traffic going about 40-45 miles per hour my car engine was still running but would not accelerate. I looked down at the dash and the wrench light was on. I managed to coast out of the traffic and get to a safe spot. I tried to call dealer but they were not open yet. I sat with car still running for a few minutes to see if it would shift into gear but nothing happened. Engine still running but when gas pedal was pushed nothing happened. I feel this is a safety issue because the car just slows down with no warning and could have caused an accident. Not sure what I should do at this time so, I shut the car off and restarted it. It seemed to be working, so I started back on the road only to have it happen again. I turned the car off and back on again and it managed to get me to work. I have not gone to the dealer as of yet but it appears that the Fusion are having a throttle body issue. If I go to the dealer and the car is not acting up, I will be paying for them to tell me they can't find anything wrong. According to the complaints this is a major safety issue.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Jun 172013

Fusion

The wrench icon popped up and the vehicle stalled while going down the highway out of town. Turned the car off and it acted like it didn't want to crank back up. Tried again and drove 2 miles down the road and it stalled out again. Put in park, put in drive and all it did was roll backwards. Cut it off and sat awhile and drove less than a mile down the road to a safe place to have it towed in.

- Dillon, SC, USA

Jun 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

While going 75 mph in the fast lane of a 4-lane highway Sunday afternoon, the car shifted hard, the wrench light came on, and the car would not accelerate. As the car slowed, it began lurching back and forth. We were able to pull off the road into a parking lot and the car continued to lurch after it was put in park. I turned car off and then back on. The starter turned over several times before the care started back up, but car made it the final 25 miles home without incident. Same manifestation of the issue Tuesday evening on the way home from work going about 25 mph in traffic. Same recovery. On my way to an offsite work meeting on Thursday I was going ~45 mph when the failure occurred. When I returned from the meeting 45 minutes later, the car had the same issue at ~50 mph. The dealership says the throttle body needs to be replaced, but that there are none available in the usa right now and that there is a 3-4 week back order. Though they seem to be replacing a lot of throttle bodies, Ford contends that this is not a problem.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle on a four lane highway at a speed of 55 mph. The wrench (mechanical) warning light illuminated and the engine rpms dropped. I steered the vehicle to the shoulder of the road. The vehicle would not accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. I parked the vehicle and turned the engine off. I restarted the car and the wrench warning light no longer illuminated. The vehicle accelerated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The engine rpms increased and decreased while the vehicle was at idle. I have dropped off the vehicle to the Ford dealership to get the problem diagnosed. I had another issue on or about 16 May 2013. I was driving the vehicle on a four lane road in heavy traffic at a speed of 45 mph. I was accelerating the vehicle up hill. The rpms on the engine surged and the vehicle accelerated to about 65 mph. The vehicle speed continued to increase. I quickly removed my foot from the accelerator. The rpms did not decrease when I removed my foot from the accelerator. I had to brake with my left foot and tap on the accelerator pedal with my right foot in order to get the accelerator unstuck. I almost rear ended the vehicle in front of my vehicle and was lucky I was able to get the accelerator unstuck before I reached a red light and would not been able to stop the vehicle. I did not take the vehicle to the dealership, because the vehicle seemed to drive fine without further instances until today.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

May 092013

Fusion

My wife in busy traffic at rush hour felt her car begin to shake badly, then lose power, she coasted to the side of the road nearly being hit by passing traffic. At the time the wrench light came on, we brought the vehicle to Ford on May 10th, picked it up on June 10th, on June 11th the same problem... this car is again at Ford dealership with what is being called a throttle body issue. We were scheduled to travel over 900 miles each way at the end of this month and have chosen an alternative. We're not even sure that we'll have our vehicle back. This is a very scary situation, in researching I'm finding many complaints for this same issue and it doesn't appear close to having a solution.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 152013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated the vehicle stalled without warning and the wrench light illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who determined there could be a problem with the throttle body. The throttle body was cleaned and the failure occurred within two weeks. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 15,797.

- Arnold , MO, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion

As I was driving down the road at 55 mph, with cruise control on, my car suddenly lost its ability to accelerate. I pushed the gas pedal and nothing would happen. As I slowed down on the side of the road the car began to shake. I turned the car off and started it back up and it ran fine for about 5 miles and did the same thing. After seeing all the complaints regarding the same thing, this car needs to be recalled!

- St Stephen, MN, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on highway, left lane at 72 mph, car made a clunking noise and shuddered, instantly lost ability to accelerate engine, tach dropped to 720 RPM, transmission acted as if it was in neutral. Pulled off highway to shoulder. Engine continued to run, but no response from accelerator.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 082012

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the engine stalled. A wrench symbol came on the dashboard. The car started lurching forward and was nearly hit by two other vehicles from the rear. I was able to stop. I turned off the engine and after a few tries, the car started up again. This has occurred at least another 20 times since then. I've spoken with Ford over the phone repeatedly and explained that there are numerous web sites discussing this as a throttle body problem. But Ford refuses to acknowledge the problem and have told me that they're not even sure if it would be covered under the power train warranty.

- Glendale, CA, USA

May 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 40,500.

- Gordon , KY, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion

I was driving home from work when my car started to slow down and wouldn't speed up after applying the gas pedal. Then it started to lurch, or jerk forward, and the 'wrench' indicator light came on. I was able to pull over and apply the brakes, which worked but were grinding. I left the engine running while waiting for a tow truck, for fear of not being able to get the engine started again. The problem was a bad/faulty throttle, which was repaired. I have seen similar complaints on the NHTSA website and, due to the dangerous nature of these incidents, I urge a recall be issued for all applicable vehicles.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion

Vehicle loses all power while driving. Wrench light appeared the first 7 times, but after turning the vehicle off and restarting, it goes away and car drives like normal. Today while driving it happened at around 60mph. Both the wrench light and check engine light came on and after a restart the check engine light stays on. Vehicle barely limped the rest of the 5 miles to my house. This has happened at high speeds on the freeway as well nearly causing multiple accidents. Currently waiting on dealership to come back with a quote to replace the throttle body. Ford needs to issue a recall notice and warranty the cost of the replacement before someone gets killed due to this issue. They are just weighing the cost of a lawsuit due to fatality vs. The cost of warranting the malfunctioning part. Paying a few million to a family is cheaper than paying to fix ~725,000 vehicles. Work with the throttle body supplier, get your qa/qc under control, and fix the issue guys. ## VIN failed ##

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

On the morning of February 7th 2013, I noticed the vehicle's acceleration and deceleration was ridged and jumpy. Prior to this problem, the vehicle has shut off randomly approximately three times while in drive and in motion. This prompted me to bring the vehicle in for maintenance at a Ford dealer auto center. They determined the power takeoff unit and drive shaft were faulty, replaced both parts and returned the vehicle to me on February 15th 2013. On March 18th 2013, the vehicle shut off again while driving at highway speeds on a busy road, forcing me to navigate cautiously to a shoulder. The engine light and wrench light were illuminated this time. I shut the vehicle off, waited 5 minutes, and restarted. The engine light remained on and the vehicle was drivable. I quickly returned the vehicle to the previous Ford auto center, in which they discovered the throttle body was faulty. They replaced the throttle body and returned the car to me on March 21st 2013. On March 22nd 2013, the engine cover fell off while the car was in motion, I immediately returned vehicle to the previous Ford auto center, they replaced with new engine cover. As of today, the vehicle is again showing hesitation at acceleration and deceleration, RPM dash meter needle bounces plus minus 500rpms during acceleration and deceleration. Breaking is not smooth or instant, the vehicle tends to jump during breaking. At coasting speeds, the vehicle also jumps. These are similar problems that occurred prior to the vehicle spontaneously shutting off. This problem is alarming and an extreme safety hazard to yourself and others around you, notably at high highway speeds. Ford has been presented with the issue and has claimed that the issues are all unrelated, even though the vehicle shuts off each time. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of others driving this model, 2011 Ford Fusion sel AWD.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving 30mph down a busy street, with back-to-back traffic, when the car jolted forwarded at which time the wrench light became illuminated on the dashboard, the car immediately started bucking (going forward and backward) and I lost all control of the accelerator. The car immediately slowed to a crawl while continuing to "buck." This incident forced everyone behind me to slam on their breaks and I was nearly hit from behind. I was able to maneuver the car to the side of the road safely. My children were in the car and had I been going any faster, they may have suffered from whiplash when the car jolted forward, started bucking and slowed to a crawl simultaneously or this incident could have lead to a several car pile up since this happened during the busiest time of day. A tow truck was dispatched and towed the car to the nearest dealer. The dealer advised that the throttle body motor failed and when it did, the throttle was forced shut (error code: P2112).

- Rome, NY, USA

May 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

After it sits for a day 1st and second gear slip but after it warms up its fine and the transmission fluid is black.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Jan 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my car lost power. I was not able to accelerate. I stopped the car, turned it off and turned it back on again. I was able to continue driving. Took the car into the car dealer for investigation. They did not find a problem. On 5/8/2013 I was driving down the highway at a speed of 73 mph, all of a sudden my car lost power and started jerking again. I was not able to accelerate. I pulled over, turned the car off and turned it back on and was able to drive the car home. The next day I took it to the dealer and they said the throttle body was sticking. They cleaned it and said if it happens again it would have to be replaced. On 5/31/2013 I was driving down the highway at a speed of 70 mph. My car lost power again and starting jerking. I turned the car off for about 1 minute, turned it back on and was able to drive home.

- Dexter, MI, USA

May 302013

Fusion

I was driving home from school (this has happened before, just not as bad) and my car stopped responding. The wrench light came on and the check engine light came on. I was on a really busy road, so I had to pray that I would not get hit. I turned off the car, and tried to restart it, but it did not want to restart. I sat for a few seconds and was finally able to get it restarted. This happened numerous (probably 6-8 times) on my 12 mile trip home. I took it to the shop this morning and found out it is the throttle body. I just looked it up online and have found out this is a common issue, and that the dealerships (when the car is under warranty) act like they don't know what it wrong. This is not right. There needs to be a recall! I don't have a warranty now, and I took my car to the dealership before the warranty was up and they said there was nothing wrong with it multiple times!!!!

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 242013

Fusion

When driving at 65 mph after approximately 15 miles, the car stalled and wrench light appeared on dashboard. I was able to pull onto the side of highway and turned off the car. Restarted the car and continued driving. While approaching intersection at 25 mph the same issue occurred. Took to the dealer and paid $114 for a diagnostic test only to find out that the car wasn't spitting out any codes. Dealer drive it on three separate occasions and could not replicate the problem. Same problem is happening with Fusion car owners and the throttle body is fixing the problem. Ford needs to issue a recall to correct this problem before it results in accidents or deaths.

- Easton, CT, USA

May 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

On May 9, after exiting the interstate and coming off the ramp onto another highway, my car had no power when I went to accelerate. I managed to get to the side of the road. When I placed the car in park, it began to jerk. I cut it off and sat there for a minute. I started the car again and it didn't jerk anymore, so I decided to try and drive home. Luckily, I did make it home (only had @3 miles to go). When the car was started the next day and while it was sitting in the driveway, the rpms would go up and then down and the car cut off. When I was taking it to the dealer for repair, it would surge while sitting at a stop light. Had the car repaired. Invoice says the throttle body was replaced. This is apparently an issue with this model car and Ford should be made to fix this problem. It's definitely a safety issue!

- Sutherland, VA, USA