CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 13)

May 022013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at various speeds, the check engine light would illuminate and the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The contact indicated that the PCM was re-programmed, but the vehicle continued to experience the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was not available.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jun 162015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted; however, the failure recurred after the wrench and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a tune up. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,525.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion

Throttle body went out. There was a "recall" on this part and it was replaced however was charged by Ford to replace and Ford is refusing to reimburse because it was past the deadline. Car was fixed after known problem and should not have been charged in the first place. Work was done at dick masheter Ford in whitehall Ohio

- Reynoldsburg , OH, USA

Oct 152014

Fusion

Recall for to calibrate PCM to correct throttle problem ineffective. I continue to have a problem with the symptoms, (dramatic loss of speed while driving) but now the actual wrench symbol doesn't appear on my dash anymore. So when I show up at Ford they say, "oh, we need to see an actual code to correct the problem." So what did the calibration do" eliminate the coding" now my car is jerky and has half the gas mileage after the calibration. The problem still exists but the option to get the throttle replaced is next to none. In the meantime, it is wearing on other parts and likely causing other problems.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 262015

Fusion

Ford Fusion 2011 engine surged and dropped speed and resulting in me nearly being rear ended by vehicle behind me. Engine felt as if the transmission hesitated in between shifting gears.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled and the check engine and maintenance warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,888.

- Saint Mary, OH, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving a 2011 Ford Fusion the state police said she fell asleep because she worked overnight. Yes she works overnight and has been doing it for 6 months. She was on her regular schedule. After dropping her boyfriend off work she was heading to my house on a real popular deer road. I believe she was swerving off the road to try an avoid the deer and lost her steering and hit a tree. I know my daughter she wouldn't have fell asleep. I hope to god this could be proven one day.the engine tires everything on front end was inside the car. I have pieces of the car that was left there her credit card birth certificate was just laying on the ground. I have pictures of the car showing the engine and tire in the car.

- Port Norris, NJ, USA

Oct 052014

Fusion 6-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Ford Fusion used with 60K miles on it some months back. I noticed a few times when I'm driving a distance of 45 minutes or more a wrench light will seldomly come on and nothing happens it just stays on. Then there has been a few times where the wrench light comes on have lost power while driving 65-70mph and my car shakes and it slams back into gear like as if I reved up my engine and dropped it into drive. Note, this only seems to happen when I drive on the freeway for a long period of time. This happend again today on 10/5/2014 but this time I was about a half mile away from my exit off the freeway and my car filled the freeway with smoke coming from underneath my car and I noticed flames coming from the front engine compartment.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving up the highway at about 65mph then the car begins to start losing power and speed, I have to pull over all the way to the right in the emergency lane. The yellow wrench light is on and I shut off the car then start it again, I'm able to make it home about 10 miles from home. If I didn't react quick enough this could have caused a major accident on the freeway.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was on my way to the Ford dealership for work to be done on my vehicle. Once I got in the parking lot I was driving about 20 mph, my car just shut off by it self. I had told the manager that I need to get my car checked out because it just shut off while I were still driving. They said they did a diagnosis check and couldn't find anything and that everything is okay. This concerns me because what if I'm driving in traffic and it shuts off again. This could be very dangerous. Please help!!!!

- Decatur , GA, USA

Sep 222014

Fusion 6-cyl

The first time an alarm that sounded like music began playing. It played for awhile and then the car turned off. I was able to stop the car safely. I restarted it and it would not start. I tried again after a few minutes and the car appeared to work normally. The second time I was on the freeway in the fast lane going 65 mph. I heard the music/alarm playing again, so I began working my way to the side. Before I got to the side of the road, the car locked down my steering wheel. A warning light came on, that said something like "service advancetrac". once I got it restarted, it drove normally again. Later that day, I was unable to back out of a parking space because the steering was not working. I took it to the dealer. The dealer stated that the entire power steering system has to be replaced for 2100 dollars. They told me they were not going to address the issue that the car turned off two days earlier because the steering was the current problem. I contacted the Ford company and they opened a case on my car. I do not know the outcome of this situation yet. After reading several accounts on the internet, I want to be sure to report this safety problem as it could have been very dangerous.

- Newcastle, TX, USA

Aug 252014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle decelerated without warning and the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000. The VIN number was not available.

- Salem, IN, USA

Sep 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

Had cruise set at 55mph and lost all power. The wrench light came up on the dash and could not accelerate. Had to pull over to the side of the busy highway. Restarted the car and it seemed normal. The car has done this multiple more times since the incident yesterday. It is now doing it every time we drive. It is extremely dangerous to lose power in your car on a busy highway! this problem needs addressed. From what I read online there are many people that have/had the same problem!

- Russellville, IN, USA

Sep 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at 35-40 mph, approaching a hill to go up, engine stopped. Electrical was fine; power steering continued to work, but engine would not work. Wrench light came on dashboard. Coasted to nearby street, pulled to side, and stopped. Turned off car but kept key in ignition. Tried to start car but car made unusual noise, so I turned it off. (not clicking noise like bad alternator makes; it was a noise I'd never heard before.) pulled key out of ignition, waited a few seconds, put key in again, and car started as normal. Drove the rest of the way home as normal (only one mile). Have not tried to drive anywhere again for the day.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion

After stopping at a stop sign, when I pushed the accelerator, the vehicle jerked and would not accelerate past the idle drive speed; a wrench light displayed on the dash; I slowly maneuvered into a parking lot. After restarting the vehicle, I managed to get home and drive the car for several days without issue. A quick internet search led me to suspect the throttle body. On about July 29th, the same thing happened. I pulled to the side of the parking lot that I was in and restarted the vehicle. On the morning of July 31st, as I put it in park at my place of employment, the vehicle stalled (the engine stopped and RPM display showed 0) and the battery light and oil lamp light displayed. The vehicle started right back up. Upon leaving my place of employment, the vehicle stalled four additional times within the 9 miles between work and the nearest auto parts store. The employee stated that the affected part was the "throttle body" just as I had found before.

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

Jul 142014

Fusion

On June 27, 2014 I took my car to a dealership for a recall to reprogram it. On July 14, 2014, my car just stopped running while I was driving. After several attempts, it did restart after I turned off the air conditioner and radio. The next day I brought it into the dealership once again. The service person told me the same thing happened to several other customers after the initial recall and that now the throttle body needed to be replaced. When I asked why that wasn't replaced when it was reprogrammed, he said Ford told them to wait until the second problem occurred before replacing it. My concern is safety. Had my car stopped running on a busy highway going a higher speed limit, I might have been killed. I called Ford customer service and was given a case number and told this would be "looked into." How many might die before this recall will be done properly?

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle jerked violently when the failure occurred. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the throttle body, engine valve and fuel system needed to be cleaned and the power control module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,552 and the approximate 160,000.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down the interstate to work, the car all of the sudden jerked and started to decelerate. I was able to pull off onto the shoulder, while the car continued to jerk forward. I turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds, and restarted the car. I proceeded to reenter the highway, and a few seconds later it did the same thing again. I once again pulled off onto the shoulder, turned off the ignition, and restarted the car. This time the car ran fine all the way to work. I am concerned that since the freeway has a few construction spots where there are no shoulder pulloffs, I could have been in a serious accident.

- Dupont, PA, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion

Was stopped at a light and when started to take off car cut off and jerked forward. The "wrench" symbol appeared. Tried to start car and it shook as starting. Was able to get started and light (wrench symbol) went off. I only have @24000 miles on my vehicle and it is well-maintained. From what I have read, this seems to be a widespread problem with this model year Fusion. I was lucky that I was not rear-ended or crossing a busy intersection when this failure occurred. This is extremely dangerous and could be fatal. Ford should issue a recall immediately and not after someone gets killed due to this failure.

- Avenue, MD, USA