CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 13)

Sep 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

This is my second occurrence: I was driving at a level speed of about 45 with the flow of traffic (in-city road, speed limit 45). When I heard my car seem to shift out of gear, and start stalling and slowing down and the wrench icon on the dash was lit up. I was in the left lane of a four-lane street. I got to quickest upcoming shoulder, and turned my vehicle fully off and back on. This stopped my car from stalling and shaking. But I am starting to feel very unsafe in my vehicle because there is no warning when my car will stall out and I do a lot of highway traveling. This was the second time in a 2 week period that this has happened.

- Mesquite , TX, USA

Sep 092013

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 11 Fusion died in gear (lemp mode they call it) in the middle of an intersection where I was almost hit and stopped traffic for a good amount of time due to it being in gear and unable to move. After being towed to a dealer and being told it was my battery; I left the dealer paying for the tow, diagnostic and a battery. I went back a week later for an oil change and was told my car was in good running condition. Around the corner from the dealership is the on ramp to go home. As I was accelerating up the on ramp to highway speed it went into lemp mode again leaving me with no power entering onto the highway. Thank god the semi and other vehicles behind me were paying attention and avoided rear ending me at high speed. I was again towed around the block from to the dealer where they have informed me that it is my throttle body position sensor and is not covered under my extended warranty, or the federal emissions warranty. $600 later; I am trading this car in because it is not safe to be driving with this possibility of losing all power at a critical time. Some one needs to have them account for this error and get these cars off the road. I was close to being killed because of this and sooner or later this will cause a death.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Fusion

I was driving at a speed of approximately 60 mph on a well traveled, busy city highway and my car transmission died. Through careful maneuvering I was able to pull my car off the road and onto the shoulder without incident. I was able to power my car completely down, turn the key and the engine immediately started. I cautiously, or should I say fearfully, proceeded until I was to my destination and another incident did not occur. I spoke to a Ford certified mechanic at my local dealership and had them take a look at my car. Come to find out the throttle box was in need of being replaced. Although my car had low miles on it I didn't think too much of it because mechanical failure does occur, however, I was taken back by the fact that the part was back ordered for the next 4 to 6 weeks from my local Ford dealership. (I did end up paying extra to have an emergency rush put on it as I recently have been doing a lot of driving for work and have a small child I need to Transport at times) once home I looked into "Ford Fusion throttle box" and found that my experience was not unlike many others. The potential danger that I, and others, have faced by driving makes and models of the cars with these throttle boxes is scary. Having had an experience like I did, I was lucky, it is only a matter of time before Ford's luck runs out with this inferior throttle box equipment.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion

Car loses power and starts to shake and stutter. Wrench light comes on. Turning off the car, and restarting it will put things back to normal...until it happens again. This has happened on 5 seperate occasions. The last two episodes nearly caused an accident. Pulling onto a major street from a side street. Fortunatly, the on-coming traffic was paying attention and avoided an accident. Also, while making a left hand turn in a busy intersection. Scary situation, but again avoided a near miss. Car was taken to dealer on 8/10/2013. Diagnosis-throttle body needs to be replaced. However, their are no parts available. Interesting...they must be failing at a very high rate. I was told not to expect the part until October 26th. 3 months! so the car sits parked, waiting for a new throttle body. It is much too dangerous to drive. 2011 Ford Fusion (still making car payments) will be sitting for 3 months why I try to figure out how to get to work everyday. 56 miles over the warranty so the repair will cost $600. Thanks Ford. Just happy I didn't cause an accident or get anyone hurt. But its just a matter of time...

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

I own a 2011 Ford Fusion. On 8/16/2013, on city streets, traveling less than 20 mph, the car engine cut off, the wrench light came on. I was able to steer, but all of my dash indicator lights were functioning as well as A/C and radio. However, there was no response from the accelerator. At less than 5 mph, she began to shudder/balk like I was just learning to drive a stick shift. On 9/2/2013, the same thing happened at two separate times, except during the first I was driving on a toll road at 55 mph. The second incident I was again traveling at 55 mph on an access ramp that leads onto the interstate. In all 3 incidents, the wrench light came on and I did have control of the steering wheel and was able to safely get my vehicle out of the main thoroughfare. I then shut off A/C, radio and ignition; waited a short time and restarted the car. Each time she hesitated ever so slightly before starting and I was then able to drive on to my destination.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car experienced a sudden loss of power during acceleration from a stop sign. Lost 99% of power and missed heavily. Nearly rear-ended. Pulled over, turned car off, waited a few minutes and restarted the car. Ran fine. Drove approximately 15 miles and 25 minutes before parking the car; problem did not recur. Drove approximately 20 miles and 30 minutes to dealership; problem did not recur. Dealership diagnosed the problem the same as many of the complaints on this website - the throttle body actuator is sticking. $400 repair. Information online indicates that this is a new throttle design by Ford, so in essence, Ford is experimenting on my dime. Not acceptable.

- Strasburg, VA, USA

Aug 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving on I-5 on my way home from running errands with the family. I was driving between 70-75 mph, in the fast lane, when the car jerked and the wrench light came on. My car lost acceleration. I was losing speed fast. My husband kept me calm and helped me get the car to the side of the freeway. When we were safely on the side of the freeway the engine was still on but running rough. I turned the car off. I called for a tow truck. I had my father come and pick my son and I up and my husband waited with the car. We had the car towed to harrold Ford. The part was on back order and I was without my car for 10 days. Thank goodness my car is still under warranty and a rental car was included. This is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my 25 years of driving. I am so thankful that my husband was with me to keep me calm and help me get our family safely off the freeway. I am so nervous driving my car now, I just pray that nothing like this happens again.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Fusion

I was not in an accident. However, my car lost power (engine) while turning on a busy road! I had to turn my car off and restart the engine several times just to get my children and to a safe location. I finally parked the car and we walked home. It could have been worse as we were almost hit turning (when it first went out). The car was towed and I am being told my Ford that the throttle body needs to be replaced and my PCM need to be reprogrammed. The issue is the fact that I have been complaining about the car feeling like transmission is slipping but was told it was "normal? for a Ford. Now that it is out of warranty and almost cost my children and I our lives?it"S not covered. I have only had this car 2 years and call Ford company. Well, while speaking to them I do some research and see that this is an issue and decided to send an email. This is very dangerous and needs to be addressed. Not to mention costing us to have it get fixed. Ford nor my dealership does not have any records of my complaints. The only one they see is from a month ago when the car first stopped on me. I tried to get it seen but no dealership had a transmission clerk that could SE my car for a month!!!! then when I went to turn on the car to check the miles, the engine was off and I was told the error would not read. Ford is not helpful and this issue needs to be resolved.

- Randallstown , MD, USA

Fusion

Car appeared to have lost fuel power while driving approx. 40 miles per hour. Car jerked and speed reduced to approx. 5 miles an hour. Appeared to not be receiving any fuel even when the pedal was being pushed. Pulled over, turned motor off then restarted. Drove okay for about 5 more minutes than did the same thing again only this time while driving on a highway that had the shoulder of the road being worked on. The time was 5 am and it was extremely foggy. Visibility was poor and the scenario could have been much worse, all things considered. Repeated the process again of turning the motor off and back on, making it to my place of work this time within 5 minutes. Check engine light came on and remained on when the car was started. Took car to dealership after work (approx 8 miles away) without incident although the check engine light was on. Technician called next day stating the throttle body needed replaced and had seen this on multiple occasions lately with Ford vehicles. Although I did not have an accident I can see where this issue has potential to be harmful to the driver and others. I hope something is done soon before something more serious does happens.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Fusion

I was driving on a major highway (I-70) East from St. Louis, mo, to dayton, oh. Cruise control was on at 65 mph, moderate/heavy traffic. All of a sudden, the car started to decelerate without warning, a "wrench" light and the engine light came on, and when I pressed on the accelerator, nothing happened. I pulled over onto the shoulder, and the car was shuddering. I turned it off and let it sit for a minute and then turned it back on. It seemed to be fine, so I got back on the highway. Three miles later, it happened again. I did the same thing, pulled over/turned off car/restarted, and the car worked okay once I got back on the highway. Four miles later, it happened again. This time, I was between two semi trucks, and was almost rear-ended by the one behind me, which would have resulted in my car basically being "crushed" between the two tractor trailers. I was able to pull over onto the shoulder safely to call for roadside assistance, and after having to tow my car to the nearest Ford dealership, they advised me it was caused by failed throttle body (diagnostic code P2111). The service agent there told me that this was a known issue by Ford (he told me he has seen the same problem on close to 100 other cars), but the company has done nothing about it. I came very close to being either seriously injured, or even killed, because of this. I truly hope that something can be done about this before someone is seriously injured or worse, killed (I know there are reports of crashes and injuries as a result of this problem as I have researched this issue).

- Centerville, OH, USA

Aug 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the car it slow down and shake. The wrench light come on. Going on the highway at 65 mph, engine just dies on me, forcing me to pull over, it looses all power but it goes to a very low RPM's for a while, engine shakes and after a couple of minutes just turn off, I turn it back on and it runs like nothing happened.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving the 2011 Ford Fusion on the open road, the engine suddenly died. I had to pull over and get out of traffic. Turned the engine off, then restarted. The engine started and I entered the road again. About 3 miles later the engine died again, suddenly. I had to pull over into a partial median, it was very dangerous. The check engine light was on and the light that looks like a wrench. I was able to get the vehicle to my mechanic, where the check engine code was P2111 - throttle body failure. I see from research, that this is a massive issue with Ford Fusion, and yet Ford has not recalled the vehicles. The sudden loss of engine power is very dangerous and placed me and my passengers in immediate danger. The cost to repair is $500! Ford should be replacing these for free just to know they are not going to kill a customer with a dangerously faulty product.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Aug 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was merging from one interstate to another and had accelerated to 65 mph. The car automatically started decelerating and shaking. Thank goodness I was in the right lane and was able to pull off. I turned it off and it started again. I was able to drive it a short ways. It did it 2 other times while I attempted to drive it to the Ford dealership and when it did it the 3rd time I pulled off the road and had to get towed. It was extremely scary and had I not been in the right lane to pull over at each time it happened, I don't know what would've happened!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion

I was driving doing 60-65 mph in a construction zone and all of a sudden I just lost power. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and there was nothing. The engine and radio were still running and the light came on the dash that looked like a wrench. I coasted off the road and stopped and shut the car off, waited a minute or so and restarted the car. I proceeded down the freeway and within 10 minutes the same thing happened again (still in the construction zone), this time the check engine light came on and stayed on after I restarted the car. My husband, son and I were on our way to Utah from Idaho. It didn't do it again for the remainder of the trip so the check engine light went off because it reset itself. My car is still under factory warranty and I need a reliable car maybe the Fusion isn't as reliable as they claim it is.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Aug 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the interstate on my way to work and all of a sudden my car just shut right down. I pulled over and tried to start it back up it did start up after a few minutes. And on the 31st I sat all day in a parking spot and I could not get out of the parking area it kept spitting and sputtering. This is making me very concerned that I could have been hurt I want this to be checked and covered under the warranty please and thank you.

- Winslow, ME, USA

Aug 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

My throttle body on my car went out this is a 2011 Ford Fusion...we need a recall my wife is a cancer survior breast cancer and she has missed many appts due to the vehicle the dealership has checked under waranty and said no issues but when warranty was up and they checked it again they said they found the issues now I have to pay 600 dollars to get it fixed. Car is not running due to throttle body it stalled out on the freeway several times almost causing an accident. I have paid several hundred dollars to fix the issue but it turned out to be throttle body....dealership said it was canister purge valve and canister purge selinoid...they want 600 to fix issues I cant afford it but many vehicels the same model have issues simular to this I have reciepts and everything I bought due to throttle body..people will die if issue is not fixed...we need a recall.....please help I need help asap...

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 242013

Fusion

Driving up a hill when my engine lost all thrust, then the wrench and battery light turned on. Vehicle engine shut down in the middle of an intersection. I shut off the car and restarted it with the same end result. Took car to a mechanic and I now have to get my throttle body replaced.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Aug 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving the engine shuttered, lost power, and after a few seconds the car turned off. The vehicle would not restart for the next several minutes. I am being told by Ford that it is an issue with the throttle body.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fusion, which I purchased only a few months ago... lost speed while driving home from work today. I'm still shaky and upset. I was a very busy 2lane up/2lane down avenue when my vehicle lost speed! I was in the inner lane and had to decide if I wanted the delivery truck to hit me from behind or risk side swiping someone in hope of getting off the road before I slowed completed. Through the grace of god I was able to make two hard rights before my Fusion began to stop, shake, and sputter. The first hard right was into the right lane in front of another car then onto the side street. My goodness never been so scared in life except the next two time it did while still trying to make it home. This time though, I knew to stay in the left lane. I also relied on the fact that once you get to a safe place and turn the engine off and on again it starts back up!!! I'm scared of my car! and scared for my life and others that this vehicle malfunction may affect during my commutes. I'm going on the record as saying if I die in my 2011 Ford Fusion during an accident single/multi vehicle please do a forensic check on the throttle!

- Rex, GA, USA