CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Oct 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling at a steady speed and the engine cut out. Not completely but had no acceleration control. Have read on-line that this is called "limp" mode. Was able to pull safely off the road and then restarted the car after which the vehicle operated ok. This has happened 3 times in the last week. Took car to dealer who replaced the throttle body at no charge since the vehicle was still under warranty. Although I was lucky enough to avoid an accident or injury, I could see this being a serious safety issue for a driver on the expressway or pulling in to heavy traffic.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at all times, the vehicle would start to surge and buck then loose power. It never completely died but when I pulled over it ran terrible and would not accelerate. I turned it off for a few seconds and restarted it. It would run for a while, good, then the problem would reoccur. The engine light came on, I had the code checked. The result was a faulty throttle body or sort in the throttle body module.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Oct 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

My wife had my 6 month old sign in the backseat when she was pulling out from a stop sign into a 4way when the car lurched and the accelerator quit responding in the middle of the street a truck nearly T boned her on the driver side where our son was in his car seat upon diagnostics the electronic throttle body was stuck open. I've found similar issues with similar vehicles although the dealership informed me my vehicle is not currently on a recall list.

- Cherokee Village, AR, USA

Jan 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Veh died while driving and ck eng light is on had tp replace throttlebody $490.

- Fall Branch, TN, USA

Jan 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Veh died while driving going 85 miles an hr and just cuts off.

- Fall Branch, TN, USA

Jun 202011

Fusion

This is the 3rd report that I am filing in regard to my 2011 Ford Fusion. The throttle body assembly needs to be recalled. Whether going highway speeds or in traffic less than 30mph, the vehicle will intermittently lose power to the throttle. The wrench and emissions lights both go on, the vehicle shakes violently and I lose all ability to accelerate. The only remedy is to restart the vehicle, which I often need to do in the middle of the road as I do not have the ability to get to a breakdown lane or other safe stopping point. This has happened on the highway, causing me to have to cross 4 lanes of highway traffic with no ability to accelerate. It has also occurred in the middle of intersections with turning traffic as well as at traffic lights, causing other drivers to unsafely pass me on the right. Please note that when I do get into an accident, I will be finding both Ford Motor Company and the national highway transportation safety administration responsible and liable for all injuries and damages due to the number of complaints and the administration's decision not enforce a recall. Ford refuses to repair the issue unless they can replicate the problem; however, when I restart the vehicle the error is cleared. I have taken numerous videos of the problem and Ford still refuses to replace the defective part. It is simply a matter of time before somebody gets killed.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Jul 202012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated. The check engine and transmission warning lamps then illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the electronic throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 45,000.

- Rockford , MN, USA

Sep 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened multiple times varying from accelerating from a stop to highway speeds of 55+ mph. 2011 Ford Fusion sel suddenly loses all power and wrench icon illuminates and no acceleration happens at all. The engine remains at idle with fluctuations. Had to cross multiple lanes and was almost ran into by cars going a lot faster than me while I was movingto the emergency lane. Once car is turned off and restarted the problem will go away. After much research and the one time it showed a check engine light I ran the codes and it all was pointing to a defective throttle body. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints with this aspect on this car and just hope someone doesn't have to get killed on the road.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on highway 24/27 my car just shut off. No warning. Then sputtered. I cruised over to shoulder. The tool light was (wrench) on. I cut off the car and then restarted the car. Very scary. At first I was advised I had bad gas in the car, then I was advised I need a new fuel injection system. Then after cutting off 6 times in the space of one exit to another, I refused to drive the car anymore. The mechanic stated I need a new throttle body and it was replaced. My car still hesitates and accelerates at times.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 252013

Fusion

This has happened multiple times varying from accelerating from a stop to highway speeds of 60+ mph. 2011 Ford Fusion sel suddenly loses all power and wrench icon illuminates and no acceleration happens at all. The engine remains at idle with fluctuations from 800-1200 rpms. Had to cross multiple lanes and was almost ran into by three cars going a lot faster than me while I was listing to the emergency lane. Once car is turned off and restarted the problem will go away. After much research and the one time it showed a check engine light I ran the codes and it all was pointing to a defective throttle body. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints with this aspect on this car and just hope someone doesn't have to get killed on the road like I almost did to get a recall on this car and part.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down the road the car jerked and the wrench lite came on. The car would not respond to the accelerator and would only coast. I was fortunate enough to be on a hill and was able to coast into a parking lot. I stopped the car, put it into park, and shut off the engine. I tried to restart it, and after a long crank the engine started, the wrench lite was off, and the car and accelerator responded normally. I was able to drive the car home without further incident. My husband then test drove the car and had a similar experience while driving down the road and also had to pull into a parking lot. He drove it straight to the dealer and dropped it off for repair. The problem was diagnosed as a malfunctioning throttle body. Research on the internet showed that this is happening to alot of Ford Fusion owners and we followed link to this website to report the problem.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down a busy street, going approximately 45-50 mph, my vehicle just stalled out on me. Although the car was still running, my vehicle felt like it was drifting. When I tried to accelerate, nothing happened. When I applied my brakes, my vehicle then jumped forward, causing me to almost hit the vehicle in front of me. I had my vehicle towed to the closest Ford dealership, where they advised that my throttle body had gone bad and needed to be replaced. Come to find out, this was not covered under my warranty and will cost me over $500 out of pocket. My vehicle only has 41,000 miles on it!

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Sep 272013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle began to shake violently and stalled without warning. The check engine warning light illuminated after the vehicle had stalled. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the throttle body. The vehicle was repaired. The throttle body was replaced. The failure and current mileage was 78,200.

- Hohenwald , TN, USA

Aug 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

When I am on the highway and I go to accelerate it seems as if the throttle is sticking and then causes the car to jerk after I take my foot of the gas pedal.

- Dudley, MA, USA

Jul 302012

Fusion

The car continuously goes limp at highway speeds and also while in traffic. It is intermittent but has occurred over 50 times. There are times where it will die on me a dozen times in a 10 mile drive. The wrench and emissions warning lights go on and I lose all ability to accelerate but do not lose electrical power and the engine does not turn off. Restarting the vehicle temporarily fixes it, but also clears the warning lights so my mechanic cannot diagnose the problem. It is so dangerous and just a matter of time until I get in an accident. There are no warning signs before it happens and no remedy other than restarting, whether on the highway or in the middle of an intersection.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Sep 232013

Fusion

While traveling along a 2 lane route, at approximately 55 mph, the power in the car just died. The throttle would not propel the vehicle, there was no accelaration available and luckily I was able to shift the vehicle away from congested traffic. The wrench lights were flashing, the car sputtered while this started or occurred but when I pressed the throttle the car did not respond at all and the car came to a stop. I attempted to press the gas several times but again the car did not respond and was dead (the car was still on just it would not move). I then turned the car off, waited a few moments, then tried to start it again, it sputtered but started about 20-30 seconds into my attempt. Once I started it, I engaged the throttle while in park and it responded, I then put the car in drive and it drove normally for the remaining 10 minutes of my drive.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Sep 202013

Fusion

Was driving on a local road, speed limit was 35mph, I was slowing down to stop at a red light then it turned green so I accelerated on the gas and then the vehicle started to lose power and and did not want to go and started acting like it was going to stall, so I pulled over parked and turned the vehicle off and then waited a few minutes and turn the car back on and the car seemed fine and I was able to drive again, this has happened at least 3 times in since then and I was told it was the throttle body that needed to be replaced, I am going to replaced it and hopefully it will do the trick. I heard that this is also a problem with other Ford cars and is currently under investigation for a recall, I hope this letter helps with getting a recall submitted.

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Sep 212013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the engine fluttered, causing the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Harperwoods, MI, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion

My wife was driving and I was her passenger on miller park highway on the 18th when all of a sudden the car jerks forward on us, it starts sputtering like it was going to choke out, my wife then tried to get on the should when she noticed that the cars accelerator went all the way to the floor without any response from the car. Traffic was flying by us as the cars engine brake continued to slow us way way down. We were able to use the brakes. My wife finally got over to the side, turned on her hazards and turn off the car. We both sat on the side off roadway and I had to calm down my wife due to the fact hat she thought she was going to be in an accident. After a few minutes we turned on the car and the "wrentch" alert re-set itself and we were able to drive. My wife and I used to feel safe in our Ford Fusion, but unfortunately now we don't have any safe feelings after everything that our car has gone through ( blew out engine due to failed bearings, the trans slips all the time on us, etc etc ). we both truely loved this car, but now......

- West Allis, WI, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power as the transmission warning light illuminated. The contact coasted to the side of the road to shut off and restart the vehicle, as it resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Goliad, TX, USA