CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 28)

Nov 172016

Fusion

On two separate occasions while driving the car said power steering failure and I could not drive by steering the car with the steering wheel because it was hard to turn

- Visalia, CA, USA

Sep 262016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the eps warning indicator flashed several times upon starting the vehicle. The contact turned off the vehicle each time, which reset the computer and cleared the code. The vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The dealer diagnosed that there was an internal electrical failure with the rack and pinion. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Nov 092016

Fusion

Several times!! while driving the vehicle the "advancetrac" and ABS indicator lights appear on the instrument panel. Information system then shows a power steering fault, advancetrac fault, and says to get steering system service now. Steering becomes extremely difficult. Mechanic has reset the soft codes and problem goes away for awhile; however, comes back. We have repeated this process several times! Ford issued recall #15S18; however, that recall runs from build dates 9/7/2010-2/28/2012. Build date on our Ford Fusion is 8/20/2010. Why is Ford not also repairing / replacing the pscm or steering motor sensors in our vehicles that are having the identical issue? we have had this problem while driving the vehicle, and have also had it occur when first putting the vehicle into gear. In the latter case, shutting the key off for a minute and then restarting cleared the problem. However, when it occurs under moving driving conditions, shutting the vehicle off does not clear the problem. The vehicle then has to be taken to a mechanic that resets the soft codes with a scan tool.

- Cross Lake Twp, ME, USA

Nov 102016

Fusion

This is the second notice of my error message on my Ford Fusion for the "power steering assist fault, " thus enabling me to have power steering on the way home from work. I captured an image, this time for documentation. This is after going to my local mechanic and he said this was a recall issue, but my local Ford dealer (waldorf Ford) said it did not apply to my vehicle.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 212016

Fusion

While I was driving (on hwy 301S, in waldorf, md) I got an error message that said "power steering assist fault." I immediately lost my power steering and I had to make a detour to turn on streets that were not crowded (this was on a 10/21/16 during the evening rush hour). Fortunately, I was not far from my house. I called Ford (in Michigan) the next business day on 10/24/16 and the said my vehicle was not covered under a recall, that included "2011 Ford Fusion, " just not my vehicle. I took it to my regular mechanical and they said it should fall under the recall, but my local Ford dealer (where my car was purchased in waldorf) also said it wasn't included and they couldn't do anything.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 182016

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering recall 15S18 was performed on car 08/01/16. Fourteen months after recall, while driving 40-45 mph on ih-635 in somewhat heavy traffic, I noticed a difference in the car's handling. The advance trac was illuminated in the instrument panel. Attempted to turn it off because I thought I had turned it on by mistake when I turned on the ac. I decided to move over 6 lanes of traffic and exit off the highway. Once on the service road, the steering became difficult to maneuver. Fortunately there was a discount store & warehouse shopping center and upon making two difficult right turns into the parking lot the steering problem proceeded to get worse. Turning into the parking space was extremely difficult. I turned off the engine, did a walk around the car to insure there were no flat tires or debris stuck under the car. I returned to the car to call my husband and turned the key in the ignition to roll down the window, (did not start motor) and the steering wheel was easy to move, not normal but manageable. After a several minutes, I turned on the car and slowly drove approximately 4 miles to reach home on the highway service road (in case it occurred again) until I reached my normal exit. It was without doubt a white knuckled drive home. The car has been sitting in the garage for the last 3 days, I have been using my husband's truck because I'm afraid to drive my car, until I can get it to the dealership to be checked. I'm looking into having it towed or hauling on a car dolly. I do not care to imagine how I or the car might have reacted if traffic was at a normal speed limit or if I had not been able to get off the busy interstate.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 022016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 15 mph, the power steering failed. The contact experienced difficulty controlling the steering wheel as it became abnormally stiff. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the contact would be responsible for the repair cost since there were no recalls relating to the power steering failure. The failure mileage was 94,286. The VIN was not available.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

Purchased car 8/01/15. Found out about(pending) recall after the fact. Readout on dash read re-program steering. Took car back, re-programed N/C. 3-days later display message read, service power steering now. Next day backed out of garage but had no steering towed to dealership cost me $115./repair N/C. two weeks later message read service power steering now. Shut car off, then started bam no steering. Called tow truck take back to dealership $115. Plus $1145.67. 03/15/16. Now sitting garage cannot drive. Message reads service power steering now. Right now we simply can't afford to have the car fixed. Recall #15S18 last failure date 10/13/16 a.M.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 012016

Fusion

Ford not honoring recall for 2011 Fusion built 1 week before recall date at hermosilla plant. Power steering went completely out - cost $1700 to repair - the car was backing out onto a main street and lost all steering.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Sep 202016

Fusion

Driving down road and power steering cuts out dash says power steering assist fault

- Honey Brook, PA, USA

Sep 052016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering was not functional and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle's software was updated per NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the failure was not repaired. The contact stated that the verbiage in the recall notice stated that the steering gear would be replaced if any dtc was found related to the power steering; however, the dealer did not replace the part. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. Due to the vehicle being over 150,000 miles, the recall was not honored. The failure mileage was approximately 230,000.

- Vadaila, OH, USA

Sep 142016

Steering weel.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Aug 112016

Fusion

Takata inflators I recovered a letter 3 monts ago saying my airbag needed to be replaced. The letter stated that I would get a call or email telling me when to taky care for repairs I have not heard anything else.also my steering has gone out in my car I can not get anyone to tell me why they just keep saying I can fix it. Its becoming to the point were I can't drive. What do I need to

- Vincent, AL, USA

Sep 102016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Rives Junction, MI, USA

Jul 282016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph, the power steering failed without warning and became difficult to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,702.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Fusion

Faulty steering light came on several times and then turn off while driving.... and today 09/01/2016 the steering column locked up and unable to use even if the car is turned off and on. The car was in reverse when it locked.

- Lytle, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Fusion

There's a creaking sound that is coming from the right side of the vehicle hen you're driving. The creaking sound comes to play when you're driving 5 minutes into your travel. The sound tends to come and go but at times, it gets really bad. I've had other people comment on the sound and have seen on Ford forums that this has been a common issue with this vehicle.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 302016

Fusion

I entered my VIN number knowing my car has the takata recall but wanting it fixed sometime before "the future", and I found that my car had a power steering recall from 2015 that I was never notified of.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Fusion

The power steering keeps failing while driving. We get a power steering assist fault car is very hard to steer and control. This is very dangerous.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Aug 262016

Fusion

Driving along on a busy street and a service power steering soon appeared and after making a left turn the steering stopped I immediately pulled over as I was unable to drive it had to get car towed. Was not on a highway was driving along about 40mph.

- Oxford, NC, USA