CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 28)

Mar 232016

Fusion

I was driving my 2011 Ford Fusion, and my vehicle locks up almost causing me to reck! I had to slam on breaks. After getting the vehicle under control I called B & B Ford's to let them know what's going on. I ended up having my vehicle towed to the Ford dealership. The Ford dealership mention the power was my rack and pinion had to be replace because it was causing problems with my power steering, which cost me $1650.51. Since having the power steering fixed, I been to the dealership over 5 times for the same problems and been having to pay them over and over! something the B & B Ford said they fixed the first time I gave them 1650.51

- Bamberg, SC, USA

Jul 262016

Power steering went out

- Birch Run, MI, USA

Jul 072016

Fusion

I went to turn the car on one day and the message "power steering assist fault" appeared. The steering wheel would not turn and the power steering was inoperable. It continues to do this every time the car is turned on. I took it to a Ford dealership because I found that there was a recall on an electrical issue in the power steering system on the 2011 Ford Fusion. I was told that my VIN was not covered under the recall. I have seen multiple complaints similar to mine on message boards for car trouble.

- Fort Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Jul 142016

Fusion

I was driving my car when all of a sudden I go to make a right turn in my steering wheel locked up on me completely I instantly ran over the sidewalk almost hitting another vehicle and a person. I then called my brother to push my vehicle off the sidewalk back into the street. I then had my brother trying to drive it to a Ford dealership in hagerstown Maryland which then it was so hard to do the steering wheel was so hard to turn but he is a strong guy so he managed to get it to the dealership also we was only a mile away from that dealership. I then went inside in was told that there was a recall on the powersteering but from my VIN number mines wasnt covered"?? im not understanding why because I looked it up online and it clearly states on every website that I have checked that a 2011 Ford Fusion sel without a 3.5 engine is covered in the recall. My car is still at the dealership because I dont have the money to pay for this and need someone to explain to me why is it just my vehicle that is covered on this recall"

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Feb 072016

Takata recall. Steering

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 102015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V340000 (steering), 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline), and 16V384000 (air bags). The part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact experienced power steering failure. The parts were not available for months. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Greer, SC, USA

Fusion

Have the power steering assist failure and service advancetrac messages. VIN not under recall for some reason even though it's a 2011 Ford Focus manufactured in Mexico. Turning ignition off and back on does not fix the issue.

- Coldwater, OH, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While reversing out of a parking space, the power steering malfunctioned, and the steering wheel locked and became extremely hard to maneuver. The vehicle resumed normal operation after turning off and restarting the engine. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 16,000. Updated 09/08/16

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 082016

Fusion

There has been 4 times my steering wheel becomes very hard for me to turn. It has happened once while driving and 3 times after parking and starting my car it happens. I get the message of power steering assist fault.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion

Check power steering light came on while driving in our neighborhood/subdivision and power steering went out, making the car very hard to steer. We started/stopped the car several times to get the light to shut off. We were fortunate that we were not going that fast or been on the freeway where an accident could have occurred. There was no warning for the power steering to just cut out completely and we had no issues up to the time the light came on. We took it to dealership and was told that the repair would run $1,800. The same car made in the same plant with the same issues was part of a recall, but unfortunately out vehicle was made several weeks before the recall period. Ford refused to cover even part of the repair even though they acknowledged that the same problem was covered for other vehicles.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and required force. The vehicle was serviced under the NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the electric power steering assist warning light illuminated after the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle failure mileage was 100,792.

- Upland, CA, USA

Jun 112016

Fusion

Replaced both lower control arms in steering. Heard rubbing and grinding noise. Reported in the fall and told nothing was wrong. Went in a few months later and was told the control arms bent and broke. Could not explain how this happened. I drive minimally as I work from home. Noise was worse after car warmed up.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Apr 042016

Fusion

Steering, left or right, causes significant "grinding" type noise. Independent shop could not narrow it down, although first thought was rack & pinion. This vehicle (3.0L) does not have a standard rack and pinion. This noise occurs whether stationary or in motion. Took it to the dealer and they stated they could not replicate, however, they could replace the control arms to see if that helps resolve the issue. Due to the cost (roughly $1500, with no guarantee it would resolve the issue) we decided to see if we could get a better idea of where the issue comes from. It occurs while stationary and in motion, so it is note related to the suspension cycling, but is specifically related to steering left or right. Seems to be related to the steering mechanism. This is an ongoing/recurring issue that is getting worse, with no shop tech able to specifically identify. All recall/software updates (PCM, etc.) have been completed by the dealer.

- Eagle Point, OR, USA

Mar 282016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While reversing the vehicle, the steering wheel failed to turn right or left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 161,000.

- Newalla, OK, USA

Jun 252016

Fusion

While driving car suddenly lost power steering. Message center showed power steering assist fault. Speed was aprox. 20M/H I hit a curb and stop. After restarting the car message disappeared and power steering started working again. Car was taken to dealer. Repair cost 1800 dol.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Jun 272016

Fusion

The electronic power steering system has failed leaving the vehicle very difficult to steer and drive making for a very unsafe operating condition.. this particular car is used on a very limited basis and has ls than 24,000 original miles on the odometer. The problem has occurred twice in a one year time period. This first occurrence was proceeded by the very strange condition of all the windows and sun roof opened randomly while the car was parked and not running inside the garage.the battery was then disconnected and that action seemed to reset the system. The second occurrence seems to be a complete failure of the electronic steering system, with no effect on the power windows and sun roof.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 192016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a loud grinding noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The noise was present when the steering wheel was turned left or right. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Albuguerque, NM, USA

Jun 172016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the indicator light illuminated and the power steering assist fault failed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Fox River Grove, IL, USA

Jun 192016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 50 mph, the service power steering sensor light illuminated and the power steering suddenly malfunctioned. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle was serviced twice previously for the same failure. In July of 2015, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (power steering), but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- El Prodo, NM, USA