Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 28)

Jul 052016

Check power steering light came on while driving in our neighborhood/subdivision and power steering went out, making the car very hard to steer. We started/stopped the car several times to get the light to shut off. We were fortunate that we were not going that fast or been on the freeway where an accident could have occurred. There was no warning for the power steering to just cut out completely and we had no issues up to the time the light came on. We took it to dealership and was told that the repair would run $1,800. The same car made in the same plant with the same issues was part of a recall, but unfortunately out vehicle was made several weeks before the recall period. Ford refused to cover even part of the repair even though they acknowledged that the same problem was covered for other vehicles.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and required force. The vehicle was serviced under the NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the electric power steering assist warning light illuminated after the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle failure mileage was 100,792.

- Upland, CA, USA

Jun 112016

Replaced both lower control arms in steering. Heard rubbing and grinding noise. Reported in the fall and told nothing was wrong. Went in a few months later and was told the control arms bent and broke. Could not explain how this happened. I drive minimally as I work from home. Noise was worse after car warmed up.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Apr 042016

Steering, left or right, causes significant "grinding" type noise. Independent shop could not narrow it down, although first thought was rack & pinion. This vehicle (3.0L) does not have a standard rack and pinion. This noise occurs whether stationary or in motion. Took it to the dealer and they stated they could not replicate, however, they could replace the control arms to see if that helps resolve the issue. Due to the cost (roughly $1500, with no guarantee it would resolve the issue) we decided to see if we could get a better idea of where the issue comes from. It occurs while stationary and in motion, so it is note related to the suspension cycling, but is specifically related to steering left or right. Seems to be related to the steering mechanism. This is an ongoing/recurring issue that is getting worse, with no shop tech able to specifically identify. All recall/software updates (PCM, etc.) have been completed by the dealer.

- Eagle Point, OR, USA

Mar 282016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While reversing the vehicle, the steering wheel failed to turn right or left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 161,000.

- Newalla, OK, USA

Jun 252016

While driving car suddenly lost power steering. Message center showed power steering assist fault. Speed was aprox. 20M/H I hit a curb and stop. After restarting the car message disappeared and power steering started working again. Car was taken to dealer. Repair cost 1800 dol.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Jun 272016

The electronic power steering system has failed leaving the vehicle very difficult to steer and drive making for a very unsafe operating condition.. this particular car is used on a very limited basis and has ls than 24,000 original miles on the odometer. The problem has occurred twice in a one year time period. This first occurrence was proceeded by the very strange condition of all the windows and sun roof opened randomly while the car was parked and not running inside the garage.the battery was then disconnected and that action seemed to reset the system. The second occurrence seems to be a complete failure of the electronic steering system, with no effect on the power windows and sun roof.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 192016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a loud grinding noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The noise was present when the steering wheel was turned left or right. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Albuguerque, NM, USA

Jun 172016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the indicator light illuminated and the power steering assist fault failed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Fox River Grove, IL, USA

Jun 192016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 50 mph, the service power steering sensor light illuminated and the power steering suddenly malfunctioned. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle was serviced twice previously for the same failure. In July of 2015, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (power steering), but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- El Prodo, NM, USA

Jun 052016

When I started the car after church, the power steering module light came on. There was no power steering. The car had to be towed. It cost over $1600 to be fixed. When I asked for the old part, I was told that I would have to pay about $200 for it. Didn't I pay for this when I bought the car?. some Fusion from the year 2011 are covered under a recall but not mine, even though it was manufactured in the same mexican plant. Ford should be concerned about the safety of its customers and be willing to have a recall on all of them or at least pay for the cars that have that problem which required the replacement of that part. I am very lucky that I was not driving on the highway when the power steering stopped working.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jun 062016

Power steering failed. There was a recall concerning this and apparently on my car a module was reprogrammed. Well it failed again. I purchased this car used and it was just over the allowable mileage to replace the steering gear for free through Ford. The gear probably should have been replaced to begin with, but now I'm stuck with a $1600 repair bill that Ford should have fixed to begin with. Recall # 15N01.

- Chandler, OK, USA

Nov 302015

Lost all power steering $1700 to fix complaints filed with Ford. Car built August 2010 not covered under recall. Requesting extension of dates to cover my VIN. Driving vehicle lost power steering. Could not handle car. Husband had to drive to dealership

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jun 092016

When driving, my car suddenly lost power steering and a light on my message center said power steering assist fault. The steering was basically locked up. I had to stop the car and turn it off. When I restarted the car functioned normally.

- Mason, OH, USA

May 062016

2011 Ford Fusion. The power steering service warning light was illuminated, the vehicle was taken to 2 Ford dealerships for service. Both dealership repaired and cleared the codes, but its still a problem. Its been a problem for 6 months. They want to charge me $3000 to replace the whole steering system. Another issue I have is the driver door will not open from the inside. I have to put the window down to open the door from the outside. This move is unsafe. Ford should be aware of this.

- Mescalero, NM, USA

May 202016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the power steering service fault warning light illuminated and the power steering seized. The vehicle was turned off and on, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The repair failed to remedy the failure. The contact stated that the failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 152016

Stopped car in a parking lot got out to referee a sporting event. Returned to car and there was no power steering when I started the car. The electronic indicators told me to have the electronic steering module serviced. I was able to drive the car home but it was extremely difficult to turn the wheels. This has been be an intermittent problem for a year now but would straighten itself out by turning off and on the ignition. This time that process did not straighten out the problem. I contact Ford via their on-line complaint department. Ford reply back to me was that although there was a recall for this particular problem my vehicle identification number was not part of the recall. Ford also asked me to take the car to my dealer to remedy the situation. Since this is a known safety problem with this make, model and year Ford should fix the problem. I am now paying for a car loan for a car I cannot drive.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Nov 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

Began having problems with this vehicle the second month after purchase. The first incident was steering wheel locked and I could not control the direction of the car. I ended up on the left side of the road off the shoulder before I could stop it. It happened on several occasions. Car dies for no reason. I end up having it towed or restarted by charging battery. The battery always has a full charge. Also I have been shopping and get in the car to start it and it will not start. Door handles would not work from inside. Windows would not open. Had to force window down enough to open from the outside. Had front door handle assemble replaced had transfer case resealed horrible smell, new tires 3 times since it was purchased had rear drive shaft replaced, fuel pump replaced had taken it to Ford just recently for what I deemed was computer problems, of course they could not find anything wrong. I was told by my mechanic the last time I had new tires put on the car that I would need new rims soon. The rims are eroding from the inside out. I have several invoices for work that was done and a few more I can't locate at this time. I would like to send them all to you. Purchase car 12/1/12.

- Gales Ferry, CT, USA

May 082016

Daughter says her Fusion steering locked tight at low speed in a parking lot and she couldn't turn the steering wheel. Took it to dealership. They say the rack and pinion and the electronic module need to be replaced at a cost of $1600.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 152014

Mpg was not adding up though it was just me than I would notice spots of gasoline on the floor and did a inspection and looked normal until filled gas a bit higher than half and started leaking.and some loss of steering would happen here and there and decided to inspect it to couple of codes would come up in a dtc test.

- Compton, CA, USA