CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 28)

Jun 052016

Fusion

When I started the car after church, the power steering module light came on. There was no power steering. The car had to be towed. It cost over $1600 to be fixed. When I asked for the old part, I was told that I would have to pay about $200 for it. Didn't I pay for this when I bought the car?. some Fusion from the year 2011 are covered under a recall but not mine, even though it was manufactured in the same mexican plant. Ford should be concerned about the safety of its customers and be willing to have a recall on all of them or at least pay for the cars that have that problem which required the replacement of that part. I am very lucky that I was not driving on the highway when the power steering stopped working.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jun 062016

Fusion

Power steering failed. There was a recall concerning this and apparently on my car a module was reprogrammed. Well it failed again. I purchased this car used and it was just over the allowable mileage to replace the steering gear for free through Ford. The gear probably should have been replaced to begin with, but now I'm stuck with a $1600 repair bill that Ford should have fixed to begin with. Recall # 15N01.

- Chandler, OK, USA

Nov 302015

Fusion

Lost all power steering $1700 to fix complaints filed with Ford. Car built August 2010 not covered under recall. Requesting extension of dates to cover my VIN. Driving vehicle lost power steering. Could not handle car. Husband had to drive to dealership

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jun 092016

Fusion

When driving, my car suddenly lost power steering and a light on my message center said power steering assist fault. The steering was basically locked up. I had to stop the car and turn it off. When I restarted the car functioned normally.

- Mason, OH, USA

May 062016

Fusion

2011 Ford Fusion. The power steering service warning light was illuminated, the vehicle was taken to 2 Ford dealerships for service. Both dealership repaired and cleared the codes, but its still a problem. Its been a problem for 6 months. They want to charge me $3000 to replace the whole steering system. Another issue I have is the driver door will not open from the inside. I have to put the window down to open the door from the outside. This move is unsafe. Ford should be aware of this.

- Mescalero, NM, USA

May 202016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the power steering service fault warning light illuminated and the power steering seized. The vehicle was turned off and on, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The repair failed to remedy the failure. The contact stated that the failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 152016

Fusion

Stopped car in a parking lot got out to referee a sporting event. Returned to car and there was no power steering when I started the car. The electronic indicators told me to have the electronic steering module serviced. I was able to drive the car home but it was extremely difficult to turn the wheels. This has been be an intermittent problem for a year now but would straighten itself out by turning off and on the ignition. This time that process did not straighten out the problem. I contact Ford via their on-line complaint department. Ford reply back to me was that although there was a recall for this particular problem my vehicle identification number was not part of the recall. Ford also asked me to take the car to my dealer to remedy the situation. Since this is a known safety problem with this make, model and year Ford should fix the problem. I am now paying for a car loan for a car I cannot drive.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Nov 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

Began having problems with this vehicle the second month after purchase. The first incident was steering wheel locked and I could not control the direction of the car. I ended up on the left side of the road off the shoulder before I could stop it. It happened on several occasions. Car dies for no reason. I end up having it towed or restarted by charging battery. The battery always has a full charge. Also I have been shopping and get in the car to start it and it will not start. Door handles would not work from inside. Windows would not open. Had to force window down enough to open from the outside. Had front door handle assemble replaced had transfer case resealed horrible smell, new tires 3 times since it was purchased had rear drive shaft replaced, fuel pump replaced had taken it to Ford just recently for what I deemed was computer problems, of course they could not find anything wrong. I was told by my mechanic the last time I had new tires put on the car that I would need new rims soon. The rims are eroding from the inside out. I have several invoices for work that was done and a few more I can't locate at this time. I would like to send them all to you. Purchase car 12/1/12.

- Gales Ferry, CT, USA

May 082016

Fusion

Daughter says her Fusion steering locked tight at low speed in a parking lot and she couldn't turn the steering wheel. Took it to dealership. They say the rack and pinion and the electronic module need to be replaced at a cost of $1600.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 152014

Fusion

Mpg was not adding up though it was just me than I would notice spots of gasoline on the floor and did a inspection and looked normal until filled gas a bit higher than half and started leaking.and some loss of steering would happen here and there and decided to inspect it to couple of codes would come up in a dtc test.

- Compton, CA, USA

Apr 292016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While pulling out of the garage, the power steering ability seized and the power steering assist warning indicator illuminated. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle and it resumed normal operation. The contact stated that the failure recurred at least ten times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Apr 252016

Fusion

Squeaking noise coming from front axle (mostly on driver side) while driving and turning; sounds the most when outside temperature is higher (not so loud on cool days). Took it to dealer that sold the car (today 04/25/2016) to have suspension and power steering checked. I see online there are recalls on some Ford Fusion power steering? my VIN is not listed.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Nov 182015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. The "power steering fault" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Moore, SC, USA

Apr 112016

Fusion

"Fusion recall" my 2011 Ford Fusion SE made in Mexico has a power steering assist fault. This happened when leaving my driveway. Took it to the dealer and the problem is a faulty steering gear. This part is currently part of a recall on 2011 Ford Fusion manufactured in Mexico. My issue is the recall does not include my vehicle as the recall began with vehicles manufactured in September of 2010 and my vehicle was manufactured in August of 2010. Same problem, same plant, same car, simple made the previous month. Costing me the consumer almost $2000 to fix this known manufactures defect. While there was intermittent problems that seemed to go away with restarting the engine total failure occurred on Apr 11 2016. I have searched various forums and I am not the only person this has happened to whose vehicle was manufactured with in a few weeks of the recall date.

- Oologah, OK, USA

Apr 042016

Fusion

When I start up the engine the message "power steering assist fault" shows up in the dash and power steering stops working. Turn the car off and on and it seems to work again. Luckily so far has only happened when stationary

- Canton, GA, USA

Mar 182016

Fusion

Power steering goes out, Ford says this VIN is not part of the recall. It should be, the power steering throws a code. You must pull over and restart the car for it to reset.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 272016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. After starting the vehicle and attempting to drive, the power steering failed to turn. The vehicle had to be restarted several times until the power steering functioned properly. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure was similar to the failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- York, SC, USA

Mar 192016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 65 mph, the service advance power steering warning message displayed and the power steering became inoperable. As a result, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Chester Thownship, PA, USA

Jan 212016

Fusion

My dad and mom have been without a car for a few months now. On and off the powersteering is shutting off. Autonation, littleton, co., has the car again! can you please investigate. I am tired of this dealership taking of advantage of people. Please help!

- Central City, CO, USA

Jan 262016

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that there was an odor of fuel coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline). However, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 04/20/16 the consumer stated there was a problem with the transmission and the steering. Also, the vehicle would suddenly stall, while driving. Updated 05/11/16.

- Macomb, MI, USA