8.3

2013 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion:

2013 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

May 012013

Fusion SE 1.6L Turbo

I have been dealing with the issue of poor mpg since day one of owning this car. I have had it to the dealer countless times for what seems like a million other problems, most notable to replace my gas tank... they installed the wrong one!!! After this issue was fixed, as well as others, and the multiple recalls, especially the one with the fuel system, the dealer assured me this should help fix the issue. This particular model is rated at 24/37, I drive the majority on the highway to work, and minimal around town, but I am only able to get on average, yes I check every tank, 22 mpg. This is bullshit!!!! It has an appointment next week at the dealer again, because I was told to wait until the cars break-in period was over.... 10,000 miles, until they could do something about the issue, and to check an electrical failure of the steering column that happened last week! I don't know if this is just bullshit because I'm a girl, and they don't want to deal with me, but I wish something would give, it seems the longer I have the car the worse the gas mileage is getting, keeping in mind I am faithful at oil changes and maintenance. At this point I am so disgusted with Ford, I hope the car bursts into flames (not while I'm in it). My family have been loyal Ford customers for over 20 years, and I thought I would go back to what I know, and I loved the redesign of the Fusion, and the potential gas mileage. I regret the day I bought this car, and miss my Subaru Legacy!!!! For me to be getting this gas mileage in a car that was rated at 24/37, is just ridiculous. I used to get 29 mpg in my Legacy that was AWD and 3 years old, and I am driving the same roads now!!!! Words can not explain the disgust I have for this issue with this car, and from the day I signed the papers I regret every minute I own the car. Everyone thinks I'm driving a LEMON!!! I have been looking into selling it since the day it turned 1 year old, and I am even willing to take a hit on it, just to get out of owning the car. If there is anyone with advice or help I would truly appreciate it. (Side note- Ford should look into the mpg issue on the regular non-energy, hybrid models, because there is obviously a problem with those as well). FORD I HATE YOU!!!!

- , Laurys Station, PA, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion SE

I HAVE REPORTED THIS LOW / POOR MPG (28 MPG OR LESS OVERALL) TO THE DEALER AND WAS TOLD IT HAS "TO BREAK IN". THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE @ 5K, THEN 7.5K, THEN SOMETIMES 10K. I AM NOW @ 30K MILES. BY THE TIME THIS CAR "BREAKS IN" I WILL HAVE BOUGHT SOME OTHER MODEL VEHICLE.

IT IS A REAL SHAME THAT AS A CUSTOMER OF FORD MOTOR COMPANY I MATTER SO LITTLE TO THEM.

I GUESS IT IS TIME TO START BUYING FROM SOME OTHER MFG.

- , Toledo, Ohio, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion SE

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion. I took possession of this car on March 7, 2014 One of the problems is with gas mileage, according to the vehicle sticker, I should get around 27 MPG in the city. However, it is more like 16MPG. When I questioned the service dept. at the dealership, they were embarrassed and could not offer a suggestion. I mistakenly believe that since this was a new car, that the gas mileage would be really good.

I've tried using a higher grade of gasoline, still the problems exists. I only get around 180 - 200 miles on a full tank. In my 2011 Honda Accord I was able to fill up every three weeks, and I got about 400 miles on a full tank of gas. I should have stayed with the Honda. I will never buy another Ford vehicle.

For those of you who do not want to spend a lot of money at the gas station, do not buy a Ford Fusion.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Fusion SE 1.6L Ecoboost

EPA Estimates 22 city 34 hwy.

My vehicle gets 21mpg city, 24mpg combined, 28mpg Hwy on cruise control for full tank.

- , Buford, GA, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion

When I leased my 2013 Fusion I was told how great the eco-boost engine was and how I would get 2-3 mpg better than I did on my 2012 Fusion that I was turning in. I averaged about 23 mpg on my 2012 Fusion with primarily driving around town with some freeway driving. The first few months my mpg was disappointing, averaging about 19 mpg, but I attributed it to the "break in" period on a new engine and figured it would improve. Unfortunately it has been getting worse not better, and for the past few months I have only been getting about 16 miles to the gallon. My driving habits haven't changed as I primarily use this vehicle as a commute vehicle to work and back. I took it into to Ford service and asked them to make sure nothing was wrong as their sticker and and constant advertising on TV states the car should average 26 miles per gallon combined driving. They told me the engine is not done breaking in for 7,500 miles, and the car got 20 mpg on their simulator which was acceptable during the break in period. I have never heard of a break in period of 7,500 miles and this was not mentioned to me when I bought the car. I looked in the manual and it says the break in period is 3,500 miles and I have 4,100 miles on my car now, so according to the manual the break in period is over. I am assuming their simulator miles are on a flat surface at a constant speed because I have never been able to get 20 mpg in this car, even on the freeway. Feeling a little like I got screwed out of about $2K per year in additional gas expenses and clearly Ford is not willing to own up and do anything about it.

- , Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 302012

Fusion ES 1.6L

paid extra for the 1.6lt engine for the better gas mileage. but I get better mpg's with my 2003 ford Taurus.

- , Prattville, AL, USA

Dec 102012

Fusion SE 2.0L Ecoboost

The Fusion 2.0L Turbo was suppose to have a 22/33 MPG rating. I knew this meant City driving was not going to get good gas mileage, but now I am finding out that the Highway MPG is way below the EPA estimates. I am suppose to get 33 MPG, but I am actually getting 25.5 MPG! This is way below what I thought it would be.

- , Troy, MI, USA

May 022013

Fusion SE 2.0L Ecoboost

Poorest gas mileage of all of my last vehicles. 2013 Ford Taurus 3.5 V6 I could get 30mpg plus. fusion ususlly about 26-27.

Transmission over revs when shifting up from a stop or a yield sign ,down shifts when going down a hill and breaking. Sometimes vehicle won't start, you just turn the key and nothing. Let the key go and abut 3-5 seconds the car starts by it self. Dealer says the same thing every time. Well there no code so we don't know whats wrong. they drove it for three days and it had a bad shift from 2-3 but no code so DA we can't fix it. Ford is no help either. In the winter since the exhaust pipes do not go all the way to the outlets in the rear ice chunks build up in this area and have to be removed on a daily basis. Mud gravel and sand slip around whatever protection there is in the front wheels and full up under the hood between the fender and the components, IT gets under the hood filthy. No from Ford as the rep said it will void the warranty if we modify the vehicle to stop the junk from getting up under the hood. Wow what an answer. Sync stinks will not recognize voices when using the phone. Call home and it wants to call George of some other off number all the time.. Oh by the wat the Taurus went by by because the Ford my touch failed so many times I could not stand it. New owner having same problems. NO MORE FORDS

- , Iron River, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Fusion Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost

I'VE HAD THIS CAR FOR CLOSE TO 6 MONTHS. I'VE NOT HAD MY FIRST OIL CHANGE YET. I'M AT 3500 MILES. I'VE NOTICE THAT AFTER MY FIRST FEW TANKS OF FUEL IT SEEMED TO GETTING POOR MILEAGE. SO I DISREGARDED THE COMPUTER MILEAGE AND WENT BY THE RECEIPT. AFTER KEEPING TRACK OF 6 GAS TANK FILL-UPS FROM EMPTY I AM AVERAGING 20.32 MPG. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. MY 11 YR. OLD CHEVY GETS BETTER MPG. I'VE TRIED DIFFERENT GRADES, DIFFERENT BRANDS OF GAS, AND ANOTHER ISSUE IS FROM FULL TO EMPTY I AM AVERAGING 258 MILES AND YET THE COMPUTER SAYS AT FILL UP I CAN GO 327 MILES. THIS STINKS. WHAT'S WORSE IS HERE IN NJ I GET TO WATCH COMMERCIAL AFTER COMMERCIAL BRAGGING ABOUT THE FUEL MILEAGE. I DRIVE 11 HIGHWAY MILES TO WORK AND I CAN'T EVEN MEET THE MINIMUM OF CITY 22 MPG.

GETTING MY FIRST OIL CHANGE SOON AND I WILL SEE WHAT THE DEALER HAS TO SAY.

- , Wayne, New Jesey, USA

Feb 052013

Fusion SE 2L Ecoboost

The mileage is averaging 18.9 mpg, thats about 230 miles on a tank of gas!! Service manager said nothing is wrong with the car. The dual exhaust pipes have black stains running out of them and the stench of the exhaust fumes is almost overwhelming. The service manager said to keep track of the mileage the old way(gallons divided by miles) and when the car has 7,000 miles on it , then he will take a look.

Update from Jun 11, 2013: Took it in again at 5400 miles after calling Ford customer relations. The mileage remains the same, and noticed When filling up, it never would take more than about 13 gals. The service dept. said that was normal too. They found nothing wrong with the car. Now they are saying to wait until 8k to 10k miles before the mileage "might" improve. Wow a whole year of wasted money on poor fuel economy.

- , Alexandria, LA, USA

Apr 012013

Fusion SE 2.5L I4

I used this vehicle for work, and I was only getting 21 MPG! How can they advertise such high mileage claims?!

- , Ruston, LA, USA

Feb 192013

Fusion SE

Got a brand new 2013 Fusion. Car is beautiful, ride and interior are awesome. Car gets gas mileage of a 6 or even a 8 cylinder. I have a Lexus sc430 v8 that averages similar mpg. averaging 24.2 mpg what a joke! I drive 80% of my driving is highway. The car never gets above 30mpg on the highway at cruising. I think the problem is the car is heavy and extremely underpowered so the engine struggles to keep up.

- , Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Nov 062012

Fusion SE 1.6L Ecoboost

After having a serious wreck while driving a 07fusion. In which I credit the safety features of the fusion for saving my life. I decided to sale our 08 jeep liberty that my wife drove and purchase a 2013 fusion with the 1.6 ecoboost engine. Her jeep had a v6 engine and was averaging 22mpg with mainly hwy driving due to job. As much as she is on highway I wanted to get her in something very safe and more fuel efficient. Since purchasing the new fusion in November 2012 we have been very disappointed. I am ashamed I talk her into something so troublesome. We had to deal with dealership having the car for 21 days due to recall on engine and we now have 2400 miles on it and it averages 22.5 MPG. Again she travels 90 % of the time on open hwy at 65 to 70 mph. This car was supposed to be a 30 plus mpg vehicle. The ecoboost 1.6L engine has left me questioning a 40 yr relationship I personally have with ford. My father rest his soul raised me on ford and my six brothers and sisters all drive fords but none of this matters. I have ask for a buy back and was declined. I said we would love to stay in a fusion because my wife loves everything else about ours. But they would not even let us swap for a downgraded i4 non ecoboost 4cyl engine. They know this is not right and something is wrong with particular car and still want help us. So that is why I am posting this complaint. Maybe someone out there can help. I am open to all suggestions,tips or advice. Also I'm curious if any new 2013 fusion owners are having same issues. Oh and just tonight my wife gets home from work and says she felt a hard down shift while driving in from her work. Please someone help.

- , Atlanta, TX, USA