2014 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 052016

CR-V

My car was on a freeway going approximately 55 mph driving in economy mode. I was on my bluetooth and I had not changed lanes. Sometime during this 2 minute phone call I had accelerated as I had traffic entering from my right and felt the car shift into a higher gear. I ended my phone call abruptly as my car was acting up and not running smoothly. It may have been hesitating. I realized my car just kept accelerating and out of my control. I put my foot on the brake and it would slow the car, but it didn't slow the engine motor. I would alternate putting my foot on the break and tapping the accelerator and back to brake pedal again. There was no give on the accelerator--like it was stuck to the floor. After about 3 or 4 of these attempts to gain control, I had control of the accelerator again and exited at the next exit. When the car was still moving and I was off the freeway, I reached down to make sure my floor mat was in place and it was. I then drove it to the nearest Honda dealer and left it there. Since it is the weekend they won't be looking at it until next week.

- Maplewood, MN, USA

Mar 032015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated when the vehicle jerked after a complete stop and during acceleration the vehicle hesitated then jerked. In addition, the contact stated that vehicle's alarm activated and failed to deactivate. As a result, the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alarm module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The technician could not determine the failure of the vehicle jerking. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 15,000. Updated 04/20/16

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Dec 262014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while turning at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle lunged forward and crashed head on into a lamp post while turning. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle sustained extensive front driver side damage. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,300.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Oct 032015

CR-V

I was driving from vegas today 10/3 afternoon to los angeles. I was on cruise for a couple of hours at least. Kept it around 70-71 based on the speed limit. There was one point when the vehicle increased the speed automatically to 80-82 in cruise. I was not increasing the value nor my leg was on the accelerator. It was surprising and scary. Luckily the roads were free. Else this would have been a rear end or some other thing. I had to step on brake to remove the vehicle from cruise. I am a fan of Honda and had an Accord 2006- 2008 and then a CRV 2008 till 2014 and finally a 2014 CRV. Other old ones did not have such a problem. This one scared me out of my skin.

- La Palma, CA, USA

Sep 092015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while the vehicle was parked and powered on with a child the rear seat, the contact returned to the vehicle to turn it off when suddenly the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact had to jump inside the vehicle in order to attempt to stop it. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,042.

- Lyman , SC, USA

Aug 142015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact sideswiped another vehicle and crashed head on into a lamp post. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained neck and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle sustained extensive front end damage. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Forestville, MD, USA

Aug 032015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, there was an abnormal noise and then the vehicle had a sudden unintended increase in acceleration to 45 mph or higher. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who was not able to replicate the failure after keeping the vehicle for two days. The contact was concerned for their safety. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,300.

- Albertson, NY, USA

Jul 032015

CR-V

I entered a parking lot to take my grandgirls to a wildlife refuge exhibit. Drove down driveway, turned left off of driveway to park car facing West which would be facing another car facing East. Turn was immediate, so brakes were applied. Car did not slow down or stop... rather, it accelerated with a lurch! I was laying on the brakes; they did not engage until frontal contact pushed facing car out of my way, and I was able to throw car into park. No action when engaging emergency brakes. Of course, documented as an "at-fault" accident by my insurance company. (may I personally mention that I have been driving 48 years and have never had an "at-fault" accident - haven't even hit a garbage can!) returned car to Honda dealership to check out braking/acceleration. The response from the service representative was, (and I directly quote), "we couldn't find a problem, but, when you experience this problem again, please have it towed to our dealership!" I have owned 14 subsequent Honda, but will never own another! that CRV took its own free will as I tried my best to control it - nothing doing! updated 10/07/15

- Prosser, WA, USA

Sep 052014

CR-V

The contact owned a 2014 Honda CR-V. while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle accelerated while the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed into a fire hydrant, a light box, and a tree. The contact sustained a knee injury and a fractured ankle that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and was towed to an impound lot. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Tomsriver , NJ, USA

Mar 072015

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving at 70 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 8/10/15

- Chandler, OK, USA

Sep 042014

CR-V 4-cyl

This has happened on numerous occasions. After stopping for a red light, nothing happens for several seconds when trying to accelerate, then car jumps forward. I have come close to rear ending the car in front of me several times. Am going to my dealer tomorrow. I have seen a number of similar complaints on the internet, so its not my imagination.

- Somonauk, IL, USA

Sep 232014

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. after stopping, the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. In addition, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated at a high rate of speed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5. updated 03/24/15 updated 6/19/2015

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 162015

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while entering a parking space, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a bruised lip and a fractured knee but no medical attention was required. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 112014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CRV. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed into two parked vehicles. The driver's side air bag did not deploy, only the front passenger side air bag deployed. The driver sustained no injuries. The front passenger sustained injuries to the head and a fractured right arm, which medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Nov 152014

CR-V

Our 2014 Honda CR-V (picked up the car 11/14/14) has a problem with hesitation during acceleration. Had 125 miles on the CR-V when the incident occurred in a local shopping center. After entering the center and going about 15 mph I stepped on the gas pedal and nothing. After a few seconds as I gently again pressed down on the accelerator the vehicle lurched forward. Scared the heck out of my wife and I. I hit the brakes. Then slowly pressed down on the gas pedal and the car responded okay. We went another 200 feet or so and was making a turn into a parking aisle when it did it again. Two people crossing the lot came close to being hit. This is very dangerous and unsafe. We will be returning to the dealership and want this fixed before someone is seriously hurt or worse.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jul 112011

CR-V

Summary: My Honda CR-V has a problem with hesitation during acceleration after a pause (let off the gas for a second). This problem is a few seconds delay between the time I let off the gas and the time the vehicle actually accelerates. I have had two very close calls. The problem occurs mostly around 15 to 20 mph. But has occurred at 65 mph. At 65 I let off the gas, slowed to 60 then tried to accelerate but continued to slow down to 52 before the car accelerated. I've talked with the service manager, mike sheets, at ocean Honda, ca. He has acknowledged that there is a problem but states that they can do nothing until they get an S.B. from Honda.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Oct 152014

CR-V 4-cyl

Apply brakes for normal stop, ease off throttle pedal. When road is clear, release brakes, apply pressure to throttle pedal. No response. Add pressure - no response. Add more pressure and full speed ahead. The sudden acceleration puts you hard against the seat, with sudden reaction needed to avoid an accident with the car ahead of you going the same way. Entering a freeway could be fun!!! this is a frequent occurance, at almost every stop and proceed. From what I hear about air bags in some cars, the sudden acceleration may be a cause of air bag release which would complicate the problem.

- Mitchell, SD, USA

Aug 212014

CR-V

Vehicle hesitates when accelerating from stop. This has happened several times when pulling into or across traffic. The hesitation is momentary but could be very dangerous.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 212014

CR-V 4-cyl

My Honda CRV has a problem with hesitation on acceleration that seems to be caused by the computer safety feature that keeps the engine from accelerating or running away when the brake is applied. This feature has a few second delay between the time the brake is released and the engine accelerating. When this happens while pulling into traffic it could cause an accident. If is especially noticeable while driving on mountain roads where you need to touch the brakes and then accelerate. The vehicle has been taken to sons Honda, mcdonough, ga twice and they have found no problem with the car. They have acknowledged that there is a problem but state that they have no answer on how to repair it. I have written to Honda regarding this problem but have not head anything from them.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jun 022014

CR-V 4-cyl

Since the day I picked up the new CR-V it has had an intermittent problem when trying to accelerate. This is particularly dangerous when trying to change lanes in traffic or avoid another vehicle. It occurs randomly, 3-4 times a day. I will be moving at a moderate speed, 15 to 40 mph, and when I press the accelerator gently, the car slows down!! if I press harder, nothing happens for a few seconds and then it accelerates rapidly! this is very disconcerting. This problem is similar to NHTSA id number 10608235 but occurs only when I am already moving. I've taken the CRV to 2 different Honda dealers and they test drive it but the problem doesn't happen so they say it must be "normal". it isn't. it's dangerous! someone who actually understands how this vehicle works should be able to figure it out.

- Oakland, CA, USA