1998 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Nissan Altima:

1998 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jul 092002

While driving front side axle broke, causing loss of vehicle control. Vehicle has been checked by dealer.

- Karneohe, HI, USA

Dec 151997

I'm afraid to drive the speed limit in my state becuse a noise is coming from the right rear of the vehicle. After purchasing this vehicle I went to the dealer and told him to listen to the noise and he said it was normal(I have the paperwork to prove that I was there). I continued to drive the vehicle and now the noise is much more pronounced. I dont know what the problem is, I am a servicemember on a tight budget, I have to drive cross country on a regular basis, and I am afraid everytime I get into this car that the wheel is going to fall off. I am out of warrantee on this car so any repairs that the dealer will make I know will be costly. Am I supposed to wait until I kill myself in a freeway accident before Nissan will do anything about this" this is the first new car I have ever owned, shouldn't there be some type of policy that dealers need to inform their costumers about the warrantee on the vehicles" I didnt know that I could have taken it to any other dealer accross the country and have them look at it. I do now. All I know is that I will never purchase another Nissan again. I'll stick to beefing up an old Chevy from now on.

- Newburg, MO, USA