1998 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Nissan Altima:

1998 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 042009

1. was driving South on hwy 101 in California at 60 mph. 2. brakes failed to slow car down, only released an odor as the pads appeared to be smoldering. Accelerator appeared to be frozen and for a couple minutes actually accelerated. 3. applied brakes repeatedly, pulled on hand brake, pressed on cruise control on off switch, pressed on cruise control cancel and set switches. Up until then the cruise control was not working at all anyway. But, it appeared that cruise control was on and non-responding to the brakes. Went past exit and continued down highway toward gilroy, ca with no ability to stop vehicle. After approximately 10 miles, car began to slow down by itself and I exited. While driving on a city street, on the same day, the incident occurred again while traveling 30 mph. I was able to force the transmission into neutral and stop in the right lane of traffic by pulling forcefully on the emergency brake. At the auto shop, I was shown completely disintegrated brakepad on the left and a paper thin brakepad on the right. Both rotors were 80% covered with large black blotches. Brakes and rotors were replaced one week later.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Dec 122000

Transmission slipping, will not shift past 2nd gear, all required maintainance, services have been performed.Nissan will not help. Cost of needed repairs approx $5,000.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Aug 071999

Since I purchased my car in 7/98, I've had to bring my car in to the service for more than 7 times. Recently, I was told by my mechanice that my coolant and the transmission are leaking. I am extremely frustrated with all the problems I've had with this car. I've contacted Nissan once, and wrote letters twice, but nothing has been escalated. Please help.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA