2000 Nissan Altima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Nissan Altima:

2000 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 032008

Altima

My car stalls while driving. It sputters, meaning I will have my foot on the gas, the rpms will drop to 500, then with my foot off the gas the rpms jump all the way to 2500! this sudden acceleration can plow me right into a car, pole, busy intersection, etc. It happens often. It has happened to me while driving on the freeway at 60 mph, and on local streets at 25 mph. This is very dangerous! if the car suddenly loses acceleration and my foot is still on the gas, the guy behind me is going to hit me. And when the car accelerates on its own all of a sudden, im going to rear end the guy in front of me. This is horrible!

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 062005

Altima 4-cyl

My 20000 Nissan Altima speedometer, odometer, tachometer and temp gauge all will quit working simultaneously while driving leaving me with no way to know if I am driving at a safe, legal speed. After diagnostic tests the speed sensor was replaced which did not fix the problem. I am afraid this will cause a wreck and after visiting several auto forums online have found this is a common problem with this make of car.

- Angier, NC, USA

Oct 302005

Altima 4-cyl

While driving on I880 at the speed of 65 mph, the car completely shut down and spun in the middle of the road without any reason or warning. The shut down was instantaneous and included the electrical system. Once the car came to a halt, I was able to put the gear in "park" and restart it. The car then continued to function normally.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 042004

Altima 4-cyl

The instrument panel/gauges would intermittently go out while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer was unable to locate the problem.

- Essex, MD, USA

Apr 202003

Altima

First, my altinator died at 37000 miles, and the dealer replaced it with a re-ferbished one. This was last summer, and now my car is just not starting at all sometimes. Also, one dealer said that my motor mounts were broken, and a different dealer said nothing about the motor mounts. I take the car in for it's inspections, and have not been in any kind of an accident. Because my warrenty is expired, I have to take care of it all out of pocket. This is the worst car I have ever bought!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 152003

Altima 6-cyl

My odometer, heat gauge, rmp, and gas gauge goes out while driving and Nissan headquarters will do nothing about. There also has been other cases reported to Nissan.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 012005

Altima

Heat dispay, speedometer/odometer/RPM meter fade out intermittently.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA