1. replace head gasket (4 reports)
2000 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Nissan Altima:

2000 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 112008

Altima 2.5L

I have a 2002 Altima..I have had to replace the head gasket 2 times (starting at 74000 miles) Now I'm on the 3rd one. Now the driver side window stopped working..My husband did tell me that there is a recall on the window problem but I have yet to find it. I have to put in at least a quart of oil monthly..We also own a 2004 Nissian Titan...At 54000 miles on the truck we just had to replace the Radiator..I'm so disappointed with Nissian..and the sad thing about it, I will never buy a Nissian vehicle again..

- , Grand Terrace, CA, USA

Dec 092009

Altima GXE

I've had to have the headgasket replaced twice not to mention the motormounts when the car was only 3 years old & after reading the comments I now know what the annoying shaking my Altima does at every stop light is. After 10 years the mystery has been solved, now I just have to save to fix the problem everyone else is having with their vehicles

- , Spring Valley, CA, USA

Nov 022007

I am so unhappy with this car. Among other problems this is by far the most annoying & expensive problem to fix. When I am stopped my car just shakes uncontrollably & feels like it is going to stall. It never does (thank god), but since I have been driving it like this for 2 months I feel like it will eventually. Turning on the A/C seems to control the shaking a bit but considering it is 45 degrees right now, turning on the A/C is really not an option. I was told it would take 7 hours to fix and cost over $900. It only has 63000 miles on it! So on top of fixing the water pump, window motor, axle, & alternator all in the last 5 months I am done w/this car. I went to the dealership to see what the trade in value was & they are well aware of this problem with 2000 Altimas but like always they didn't offer any advice or help. Goodbye Nissan!

- , Port Washington, NY, USA

Feb 062007

I'd noticed this before and my mechanic saw it when I brought it in for an oil change: the head gasket was leaking oil, it's around the edges of that big silver rectangular slab of metal on top of the engine. That's a $136 job.

I just reported another bigger problem with the intake manifold here. It's all for the record, though. I really don't have any gripes about this car, 7 years and not much else has happened. I'd buy it again in a minute.

- , Berkeley, CA, USA