7.0

1. replace intake manifold gasket (54 reports)
  3. new intake fuel gasket and valve cover gasket (3 reports)
2001 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Altima:

2001 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 152013

Altima GLE 2.4L

About two months ago I started to feel rough idling at stop lights. Since I had 140000 miles on the car and had never tuned it up I assumed that a tuneup was in order. After replacing the rotor, cap, plug wires, and plugs with no improvement, I checked the hoses for vacuum leaks. I found nothing and was forced to go to the mechanic. He found the intake gasket leak and said it would be close to $1000 to repair.

Feb 162011

Altima GXE 2.4L

My daughter's car sputters, spits and shakes violently while idling and sounds like it will blow up. She had car tuned up, oil seal and valve cover gaskets replaced and problem was not fixed. Check engine light remains on! This car won't pass emissions. I was afraid that this was the problem (Intake Manifold Gasket) but after reading all of the complaints, I am sure this is the problem. Guess we'll have to fix it...what we do for our children! : )

- , Hazlet, NJ, USA

Oct 012010

Altima GXE 2.4L

the car shakes when idle (put the transmission in "N") or run at very low speed. This problem is not very very serious (the car is ok for regular use), but really annoying when I am waiting for a red light.

Sep 022010

Altima GXE 2.4L 4 cyl

This is 2001 Nissan Atltima was bought new and it has been used by wife for local driving only and it has only 43000 miles on it. It started to have the same "Shaking at Idle" problem as others reported a few weeks ago when stops at a stop sign or red light. The engine runs very rough. First I thought it was the blower motor resister because it was bad and the fan only run only on high but replacing it did not fix the problem. I totally agree with others that a class suite against Nissan or Nissan should have a recall on this problem. This will be the last Nissan for our family. D@mn F@@king Nissan!!!

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Oct 012009

Altima GXE 2.4L V4

Luck we have a good friend knows car and takes care of our cars for many years. We own this 2001 Altima from new as our first family car until we got a Toyota van in 2005. My wife still drive this car to work and shopping. Generally, this car has been running well until late 2009. My wife told me it smelled odd and some times shaky. We have our mechanical friend done regular maintenance very well. He replaced valve cover gasket at about 50,000 mile. In the Spring 2010, it showed the idle fluctuation while the car is not moving. My friend tried to diagnose the problem and help me clean the throttle body. The AC help compensate idle a shot time and it idle rough again. Like the others experienced, it runs OK but idle rough at red light and stop. Bad or dirty Idle valve was the initial guess. He is still not quite sure. Since it doesn't bother while the car is moving, my wife continue driving and rocking at stop for few month to reach 87,000 mile. Lucky me, I found this website while I was looking for idle valve parts. I told my friend about the same problem you guys shared. He came to my house to spray carb at manifold and found the engine vacuum the spray. Then, I called the Nissan Dealer for intake manifold gasket parts and ask them 'Is this a common problem?' They responded ' Your car is going to 10th year.' I am not sure about the suggestion from the other gentleman regarding fiberglass heat shield or some issue design. It seems Nissan's engine doesn't last longer than Toyota and Honda. According to Nissan Dealer and my friend's comment, it is ageing gasket. Never heard any statement and solution from Nissan Corp. about this problem. 83,000 miles and 9 years? If you will have pay dealer 1K to replace the $20 part. You will probably go with Toyota or Honda. All of my friend's Toyota never experience major problem for more than 15 years and 200,000 miles. It took my mechanical friend more than 10 hours to replace this intake manifold gasket. It is not an easy work. This is to share with the other Nissan car owners and especially the owner of Altima.

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Nov 052009

Altima GXE 2.4L

my car seems to shake bad at idle and cut off unless i keep foot on gas. i have replace plugs, wires, sensors, fuel pump radiator and everything else you can think of. nothing worked now i am hearing that everyone has a problem with the gasket manifold and im thinking nissan should do a recall on this. its way to expensive to fix car is not even worth that much.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 062010

Altima GXE 4 cyl

I am so glad I found this website! I just recently purchased a 2001 Altima and had high hopes for it. It ran great and had a lot of options that I was very interested in. And then it happened.... Just my luck I am in town and stop at a red light and my car starts going crazy and idling weird. I mean it was so embracing! The man beside me in the other lane was staring and I didn't know what to do or what could be causing this. When I first purchased the car the check engine light was on but i was assured that it was a computer problem which I could live with, but about two days before the shake and bake began the light went off. And since the shaking started it has never returned. I praise this website because now at least I have a general idea of what the problem is and I can try to fix it before it gets worse, dagon manifold gasket. I have to admit that even with this problem the car is a wonderful car. But regardless!! If I had been aware of the problem before hand I honestly don't think I would of purchased the car! Should of went with a Honda!

- , Sugar Grove, Virginia, USA

Nov 162008

Altima Limited Edition

First car I ever bought; sure enough this happens. The car shakes like crazy when in idol. So I put it in neutral and it shakes less but still shakes. I had not even had the car for long when it started. I have added about 10,000 miles on it since the problem started and I got it checked out once. He said the throttle body has a leak and the head gasket has a leak. I even talked to a guy that works for Nissan that said that they tried something new with this model and something about a computer is not programed correctly. So i really don't know what to believe. I am just going to run it till it dies cause I cant afford to fix it, and when it dies I'll be out of a car. When I can finally afford a new car; I'm making sure it is not a Nissan. The fact that they do not recall this problem pisses me off.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Oct 142009

Altima LE 2.4L

Thanks to this website I found the problem easily.I consider myself a good mechanic and it took me 2 days to replace the intake manifold gasket.This will most likely be the last

Nissan I will own.

- , Granite City, IL, USA

Jan 072008

Altima GXE 2.5L

My wife has a 2001 altima that's stilll in the shop as I speak and just replaced A cracked intake manifold gasket,spark plugs,wires,and maf sensor and I am looking at 1000 bucks and rising,....The initial complaint started as occasionally shutting off,to idling too low,to hesitating on acceleration. This is a design flaw on nissan's behalf,I originally took it to Nissan and they said the shutting off was from a defective fuel pump.

After that we had the fuel pump replaced and the problem came back..This is a total nightmare because my wife is not working and it's really taking money from us that we don't have, the car only has like 89,000 miles on it and has been well maintained and has never been driven hard,,,Nissan makes the japanese automakers look bad and I'm more than 100% sure that it's poor engineering on Nissan's behalf....It's time for a class action lawsuit and nissan needs to do better business or stop selling lemons..At this point I understand why some auto makers are having problems because of this kind of crap........

Nov 012009

Altima GXE 2.4L Ka24de I4

If this is an on going issue why don't they make a stronger intake manifold gasket with extra heatshield protection? Which can resolved this issue. Hondata makes them but I can't seem to find one for a KA24DE intake manifold. If anybody knows let me know. Other then this issue the car is run seem to be fine. No one perfect right..

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 012009

Altima GXE V4

Car started with a slight rough idle while sitting at red lights, eventually the RPMs started jumping between 400 and 800, and in the end the service engine light came on. The code behind this was P0171, or engine running lean. Like many others I needed to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. At 100,000 miles, I'm not overly disappointed by needing to have work done on the car. I'm just disappointed by the way Nissan Service Centers are using this to over charge owners. With a part that costs less then $20, its amazing they can look to charge you $1000 for the labor. I understand its a lengthy process to change this part, but with all of the people complaining of similar problems, you'd think they have plenty of practice at fixing the problem.

If you end up having this problem, I recommend taking your time to get a few quotes on the replacing the gasket. They range greatly from service department to independent service stations. Its ok to drive with this code and problem. I found that the AC helped to even out the RPMs and rough idle at red lights. If Nissan doesn't plan on doing anything to fix their defective parts, atleast we can do our best to ensure that they don't get our business in their service departments.

As others have mentioned, if you have a service engine light on, take it to AutoZone or PepBoys and ask to use their code reader. Takes all of 2 minutes to plug it in and check the codes.

- , Washington, DC, USA

May 012009

Altima GXE

Just wanted to add to the complaints.... mine is 2001 Nissan Altima GXE... bought it when I lived in northern CA (don't know if that matters)... my engine rattles when the car is idle...the rattling does not happen in neutral.. I also see the RPM needle move/oscillate during this time... No engine light yet. I have approx 81,000 miles on my car and I am taking it to the dealership next week...

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jan 132009

Altima GXE 4 cyl

My car started shaking like crazy when i would back up, stop at red lights, or in general idle. First estimate I got from Nissan was $800 to install and fix the problem. Local mechanic told me it would be $600. I looked around and talked with an older friend of my family and he said exactly how much is the part...I said I dont know. I called the local parts store it was a Whopping>>>>$9.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? No!!!!!!!! Nine whole Dollars. Supposedly its a B to install though. I was lucky enough to find a mechanic that works from his home and was willing to install for only $250. Thank God for a Recession>>>>otherwise, he said he would have not charged that little. So yes a whole NINE dollars for this immense labor charges to fix my 2001 Altima.

- , Oxford, MS, USA

Jun 112009

Altima GXE 4 cyl

Same. Rough idling started randomly about 2 months ago and is getting worse. RPM's fluctuate at dead stop. Also shakes when in reverse. Turning on the A/C seems to lessen the shaking. I've already commissioned about $700 worth of guesswork at 3 different mechanics before I read these posts. No way I wanna dump another grand in this mess. Guess it's time to trade in.

Update from Jun 12, 2009: Same. Rough idling started randomly about 2 months ago and is getting worse. RPMs fluctuate at a dead stop. Also shakes in reverse. Turning on the A/C seems to lessen the shaking. I've already commissioned about $700 of guesswork at 3 mechanics before i found these posts. No way I wanna dump another grand in this mess!

- , Nashville, TN, USA

May 012009

Altima SE 2.4L

Nissan sucks for not recalling this problem.went to service dept to complain,and manager told me internet blogs can be overzealous....BULL.everyone was on the money.4th cylinder cracked intake manifold gasket,same code.Fortunately,my friend is a master tech at ford and the two of us spent 10 hours on mother's day replacing this nightmare,and that is the reason the will not recall it......to many man hours on the replacement.sorry Nissan,you lost a valuable customer!

- , Hatfield, PA, USA

Sep 242008

Altima GEX 4 cyl

Before i knew about this site, i went to a local mechanic, told me it was my #4 injector sticking and it had to be replaced for about $300. When i picked it up, it was still rough idling. Did some research on the internet, found out about this being caused by the intake gasket, went back to the same local place. bitched at them, they fixed the seal for another $200. POS car

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 082008

Altima GXE 4 cyl

I'm experiencing the same problem as a lot of people. The car shakes violently when idling, even goes dead at times. Sometimes it does help to slip it into neutral, but not always.

I haven't gotten it fixed yet because it was my wife's car before we got married and my father-in-law took it to multiple mechanics spending at least $2,000 trying to get it fixed. Most were left just scratching their heads. He eventually took it to one that was able to make it go away. That lasted for about two years, but it is now doing it again. We weren't in a position to put that much money into so we decided to cross our fingers and ride it out. It has been doing it for about 8months now this time.

Thanks to this site, a buddy and I are going to try and tackle replacing the intake gasket in a couple weeks.

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Jun 172008

Altima SE 2.4L

This is the bad design from Nissan that caused lot of problem on intake manifold leaks.

There are suck. Nissan should recall it back and pay for the cost.

- , Iowa City, Iowa, USA

Apr 032009

Altima ES 3.2L

Wow am I glad to have stumbled across this site! I'm sure I will eventually be replacing aforementioned intake manifold gasket and requesting 2 additional heat shields/ fiberglass sleeves @ the intake manifold... However. My car felt like it would die at any moment- squealed when cranked, shuddered when idling then lo and behold while DRIVING (scary). My trusted and reasonable mechanic says there's water in the plugs he's drying out and should fix the issue. So I guess I'm saving my $700 for now. Went ahead and emailed Nissan anyway to say if the manifold gasket is such a frickin issue for 2000-01 Altimas, they need to keep their customers by covering a recall. I guess at 140mi, she's still a pretty great gal. Thanks for all the info posters!

- , Grovetown, GA, USA