Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Here's a disturbing trend for the 2002 Nissan Altima: the engine starts burning oil like crazy, the catalytic converter goes bad, the head gasket blows and eventually the entire engine needs replacement. Sound familiar? Like a script from a horror film, these Altimas seem doomed to fail around 95k miles.

2002 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Altima:

2002 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 202016

The vehicle stalls while driving which could cause an accident. It has happened many times and we have been lucky other drivers are paying attention. The vehicle does start back up. We have found a recall but when we've checked the VIN # it comes up with no recalls. There is a sensor issue recall that describes exactly what the car is doing. It has stalled on off ramps, city streets and Suburban roads. I have found the following online: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L enginethe crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interrupion in the signal output. If the interupption of the signal is so brief that the ECM electronic control module dose not have time to diagnose the condition, the vehicle may shut off creating the risk of an accident. The dealer will reprogram the ECM free of charge. The Nissan recall # is R0606 Nissan is no help the vehicle only has 97,0000 miles and was bought used from a lot in nh who was also no help

- Stoneham, MA, USA

May 222015

Car would not start. Towed to mechanic and found out it was crank shaft positioning sensor. After repair was made I found the recall on this website. According to Nissan service dept. Looking in Nissan database this repair was made at 28K miles before I bought the car. I had to have the same thing repaired and Nissan will not reimburse me for the repairs. According to the safety information posted about this recall the sensor can overheat and cause loss of power to the engine and cut off the engine completely. This happened to me a couple of years ago and luckily I was in a parking lot driving at a slow speed, but prior to that I was out on a country road and it was getting dark. If it had happened then I may have been hit by another car. Since this part is still defective or not redesigned it is putting other Nissan owner's at risk of this happening again. There should be a second recall to replace this part again. This is not a simple "sensor" that causes your car to not start, this is life threatening! I am afraid to drive any distance for fear of this happening further from home and either causing me to get into an accident or having a huge towing bill. Nissan was very uncooperative in number one, not willing to reimburse me because I took it to my mechanic and not a dealer, I'm psychic like that, and two, not issuing another recall when the Nissan service rep told me that these have been repaired more than once after the recall. I hope the NHTSA department can see the urgency of this complaint to issue a second recall. Thank you.

- Monroe, OH, USA

Mar 162010

While driving my car the day before, engine suddenly stopped on a five lane hwy in center lane during heavy traffic at speed limit of 70mph. My son and I were stranded helpless in the midst of cars heading right towards us. An hour later geico sent a tow to take us to the Nissan dealership where I purchased my car. The stall was due to a recall on the engine sensor issued in 2006. Dealer had denied recall multiple times prior but had finally recognized it. Left the car overnight to have ecn reprogrammed and was told that it needed diagnostic for $192.14. I stated I wanted to take it elsewhere and was called the next morning to come pick up my car. Got there car was running, asked if there had ever been any other problems with this model and told no. Got 1/2 of mile and loud noise and loss of power. Engine completely died while driving and lost steering and brakes while in traffic. To avoid going into next lane oncoming traffic, I swerved other way into telephone poll. Engine completely dead since then and has been proclaimed as totaled due to locked engine. Engine qr25de was taken off sales floor in 2006 and I received no information at all. Dealer told me he never heard of any problems with my car. On receipt from dealer it states car is unsafe to drive but dealer never gave me receipt to sign and never even eluded to car doing same thing it had done less than 24 hours prior. Said he put oil in car and it started up and was ready for me to pick up. I had just had oil change and had no oil leaks whatsoever. My son is traumatized and can't sleep nights from first incident and I have no vehicle and can't get to doctor for my back, leg, and knee injury I suffered in the crash. Nissan says 6 weeks until they send an inspector to see car and I'm paying for each day it sits on the lot of mechanic. Still have not even dispatched orders and it is now 9 days later. My life and my son's were knowingly put in danger twice due to Corp & dealer negligence.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 012006

2002 Nissan Altima with various check engine light with catalytic converter breaking up and pieces destroy engine. Ongoing battle never resolved can't get help still owe 3700 on vehicle without vehicle now. Engine won't crank have to pump gas pedal even then like not getting gas but mechanics all say the same you got a bad car, defective catalytic converter. Plus Nissan refuses to do recalls never even done that were ECM related and rear suspension. All ongoing since April 2006. Have records/evidence.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA