Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Here's a disturbing trend for the 2002 Nissan Altima: the engine starts burning oil like crazy, the catalytic converter goes bad, the head gasket blows and eventually the entire engine needs replacement. Sound familiar? Like a script from a horror film, these Altimas seem doomed to fail around 95k miles.

2003 Nissan Altima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Altima:

2003 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Feb 012015

I purchased a 2003 Nissan Altima with 106,000. As is no warranty. Within the first month it blew the head and needed a new engine which I paid for out of pocket. They supposedly replaced the enigine with a new crate engine once again the car lasted about 3 weeks before it was smoking so bad and will only drive at idle speed.. I dont think the place I bought it has a very good mechanic and I really would rather take it to a Nissan dealer.. but I dont want to pay for another engine I feel like ive already bought the car twice.

- Belfair, WA, USA

Feb 092015

Takata recall

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Mar 092015

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the service engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance and they cleared the code; however, the failure progressed and the vehicle stalled more than five times. The contact had to wait a brief moment and was able to restart the vehicle. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 03V455000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 03V251000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the dealer stated that the recall did not apply to the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cary, NC, USA

Sep 212015

My gas tank has a four to five inch split on the seam of the gas tank. There is no damage to the tank I believe the part is defective and is extremely dangerous. I am in the process of asking Nissan corporate to warranty the gas tank as it should not have a large split on the seam. There may be other tanks like this and will catch fire, I currently drive with a fire extinguisher on my front seat because I have to drive it to work.

- Mesa , AZ, USA

Jul 172012

Altima 6-cyl

My vehicle stopped running on a highway almost causing a severe deadly crash. When I had the car looked at by my mechanic it was determined it was the crank shaft sensor. My mechanic replaced the crank shaft sensor and the car is now fine. Upon investigation I found that their was a recall on 2003 Nissan Altima's for the sensor. I contacted Nissan and was told that my VIN was not part of the recall. Obviously their selection criteria is incorrect since my car was impacted by this recall. I asked Nissan to include my VIN and pay for the replacement of the sensor and was told not since my car was over 7 years old and had more then 100,000 miles. I am sure their are other 2003 Altima with this issue and it can be fatal. Nissan needs to correct this in all 2003 Altima's. furthermore I want Nissan to reimburse me the $200 dollars I incurred for the replacement of the crank shaft sensor.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 192007

Altima 4-cyl

While driving on the street and about to turn the car suddenly stopped running while driving. Since I was in the middle of a busy intersection, another driver came to help, he asked what happened, I said "I don't know". he got into my car, shifted to park and started it. Weird I said, and forgot about the incident until months later happened again, then months later again, the "service engine soon" light never came on so even I took the car for service and asked about the issues, it was never detected, but I kept complaining to my mechanic every month, replaced batteries each year thinking I had a power problem. I learned about the real problem because this last time it happened on 07/03/12, the help came from someone who knows about cars and he told me about the recall on the crank & cam sensors. I took the car to the nearest Nissan and, yes, that is exactly the problem with my car!. but they said because I didn't service and didn't buy the car from an authorized dealer and my car isn't on the "list" they won't fix it. The cost isn't the problem I told them, the fact the car came out of your factory defective should be your responsibility to correct it, never the less your responsibility to recall all units with the problem not just a few. I am taking the car to them to fix the problem right now and pay for the repair because I have a 4 months old baby and I don't want to be hit by another car when my car stops running in the middle of the street but I do want help and have them be responsible for reimbursing me on the cost of the repair and recall all and every single unit involved with this issue. Nissan corporate (yes, I called them too) will not take any responsibility on the case either.

- Roswell, GA, USA