7.8

1. Nissan needs to cover all cost of the recall (13 reports)
  2. replace sensor (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Altima:

2004 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 012013

Altima 2.5L 6

I was almost killed ... the car stopped by itself at 80k/h ... it keeped on happening and then i took it to Agnicourt nissan . They said there was a recall and fix the ECM and reprogrammed it . Took it back on the highway and i was almost killed by 60f on the highway.. when i called them they said we are not sure , bring it back...still no luck..thank you nissan for putting us in danger ... WILL NEVER BUY ANY NISSAN AGAIN....

- , Toronto, ONT, canada

Aug 162010

Altima S 2.5L 4 cyl

My Nissan Altima is stalling at red lights, and when I am driving. I have had sensors (camshaft, crankshaft) replaced repeatedly. I wasn't having any trouble until Nissan did the recall work reprogramming the ECM. And, I have had nothing but problems since then. I have had to have the car towed 3 times because I could not get it to restart after it stalled. These occurrences happened on really hot summer days. Now, the car is stalling at least once a week. The engine light comes on and goes off on it's own. I have taken it to Autozone to see what codes were showing. Got codes for speed sensor malfunction (P0725) and crankshaft sensor malfunction (P0335). Called the dealership to inquire about the cost of repair. Was advised that it could be 4 or 5 different things causing these codes. Was told that it could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor? which would run around $1000 to repair. I am fed up with paying to try to keep this car from stalling since nothing that has been done before is fixed the problem.

- , Dalton, GA, USA

Feb 012010

Altima ES 2.5L

I think since there are so many problems with this part , Nissan should have a recall , the other problem is the speed control sensor

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 102009

Altima S 2.5L

I have taken my car to be serviced at Dominion Nissian, in Colonial Heights, VA 3 times in the last year, and each time I asked them why the engine light stayed on. The never told me exactly what was wrong, they did something and it would go off for a while, about a month and then it would be back on again. The after the 3rd time, I got my son to take the car to an auto parts that does analysis. The analysis showed that it was the crankshaft causing the problem. I then did some on line research to see if any others was having this problem and guess what, I'm pissed. I'm not the only one and Nissian need to take care of this issue.

- , Prince George, VA, USA

Jan 032010

Altima 2.5S 2.5L

THIS PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE A COMMON SITUATION AND IT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY NISSAN MGMNT. SIMPLE ADJUSTMENTS TO COMPUTER WOULD ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 212009

Altima 2.5 V4

My car started jerking and was very hard to start and the engine seemed to be losing power and sucking gas like there was no tomorrow. I took it to a Nissan Dealership, BUCKEYE NISSAN and was charged for the diagnostic and replacement of this sensor. Turns out that this is a re-occurring problem with this year and model. After paying $300 + I did some research and located the sensor myself. Turns out it is in an accessible spot and is held in place by a small 10 mm bolt. Loosen the bolt, unplug it and replace. The part costs $34.95 at Advanced Auto and they preform a free diagnostic test. Not to mention the Nissan dealership orders the parts from here to begin with!!!! Wish I had known that to start with! Will never go to BUCKEYE NISSAN AGAIN EVER!!

Long story short Nissan needs to do something about this issue and Dealerships need to stop overcharging for such a simple problem. It would have saved me hundreds and all the aggravation.

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Jul 112009

Altima SE 3.5L

Riding down the road the car jerks, acts as if it is going to go dead. It is hard to crank, check engine soon light comes on and goes off. Stopped at a part store to get battery replaced, after battery was installed, car started once, then refused to restart. Check engine light came on, part store attendant checked the check engine light and found code that indicated that the crankshaft position sensor was defective. There needs to be recall for this default on this model. This is the second time on this vehicle in two year time span. Contacted the Nissan dealership, was advised that cranshaft sensor is a continuous problem with this vehicle. I should not have to pay to correct this problem.

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Dec 092008

Altima S 2.5V4

While i was out with my son in my car my car shut off and it took me several minutes and times to get it started. After i got it started we took it to a shop that said it was my crank sensor, so we replaced it, now 4 months after we replaced for no apparent reason my car will just shutoff while im driving. This is very dangerous especially since my son is often in my car and my only route to work is on the interstate.Nissan needs to be responsible for this considering after all i am definitely not the only person with this exact problem.They are jeopardizing the safety of many people who after all do drive their children in this car.This is a lawsuit waiting to happen

- , Naugatuck, CT, USA

Jul 232007

Altima SE 3.5L

Riding down the road the car jerks, acts as if it is going to go dead. It is hard to crank, check engine soon light comes on and goes off. Went to the Nissan dealership, was determined that the crankshaft position sensor was defective. Part was replaced, was under extended warranty, only had to pay 50.00 deductible.

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 212009

Altima 2.5L

car just shut off in traffic, at red lights , ect. the code pulled it the crank shaft sensor Nissan needs recall

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 142008

Altima 2.5S 4 cyl

car started to jerk at highway speeds, difficulty starting. Took car in for service, was not covered under "certified used" car warranty which is in effect until 100,000 miles. Found out issue with sensors is frequent with this model and year and was recalled in 2002 and 2003 model years. The 2004 model year should be added to this recall immediately!!

- , Twin Lake, MI, USA

Mar 052008

Altima 2.5L

ONCE AGAIN MY SES LIGHT IS BACK ON AND THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST SAYS CRANKSHAFT SENSOR! MY ALTIMA IS QUITING ON ME GOING DOWN THE ROAD, HESITATES & DOESN'T START! I HAVE JUST RECENTLY BEEN TOLD BY A MECHANIC THAT THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR IS ONLY A SENSOR THAT TELLS OTHER PROBLEMS! LIKE A MISS IN THE MOTOR! HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK WITH RESOLVING THIS PROBLEM?

- , Newbern, TN, USA

May 102007

Altima 2.5L

MY ALTIMA STARTED THIS WHEN IT HAD 53,000 MILES. IT WOULD HESITATE AND JERK GOING DOWN THE ROAD. IT QUIT ON ME A FEW TIMES AND WOULD NOT START ALOT! WE HAD THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST RAN & IT WAS THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. MY HUSBAND REPLACED IT AND RESET THE SES LIGHT. THE SES LIGHT CAME BACK ON 2 OR 3 DAYS LATER! BUT THE CAR RAN FINE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. IT STARTED THE SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN!

- , Newbern, TN, USA

May 142008

Altima S 2.5L

My Altima was stuck and would not start until the engine cooled down. I took it in and got the code for PO340 (Crankshaft / Camshaft Position Sensor). For $336, the dealer replaced the sensor and reset the Service Engine Soon light, which was going on and off sporadically up until then. 2 days after taking it out of the shop the SES light returned. After researching the net I found that there are many 2002, 2003, 2004 Altimas reporting this same sensor defective, but the recall is only for the 2002 and 2003 models. There needs to be a recall for the 2004 because this is a DEFECT.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 282007

Altima 2.5L

the car doesn't shut down it hesitates like you are being bucked off a bull. and when put on a diagnostic computer its reads codes of p0035 and p0725 which are the crank shaft sensor and the engine speed sensor. I am calling Nissan on monday and will update the resolution.

- , Abington, MA, USA

Oct 312007

Altima 2.5L V4

Nissan issued a recall in 2007 for all 2003 and 2004 Altimas. After having my car's engine just turn off while driving on the interstate, a very dangerous thing to have happen for no reason. I received a recall notice a few weeks later stating the my Electronic Control Module and crank shaft sensor were causing Altima's engines to turn off without notice. After taking my car to the Nissan dealership for the recall I was charged an additional $300 for replacement of the crank shaft sensor. Nissan consumer affairs is not going to pay for this stating the recall only includes the reprogramming of the engine computer, not replacement of the sensor even though the sensor was defective. This means Nissan is putting un-safe vehicles on the road and sticking the consumer with the expensive cost of their recall? IS THIS LEGAL??????????????????????

- , St.Pete, FL, USA