2004 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Altima:

2004 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 052016

For the 2nd time car running very rough and stalling. Had it serviced seems the spark plugs were destroyed and not functioning. Paid over $500 for mechanic to put in new plugs now it happened again. Seems there is a voluntary service campaign qr25de power valve. Campaign id P5202. A bolt from manifold is falling into cylinder and blowing out spark plug and causing internal engine damage, my mechanic put camera in cylinder. Car is running but it has already happened to cylinder 1 and 4. next time my 22 year old daughter may not be so lucky on her highway commute. Hopefully the local Nissan dealer can rectify problem before the problem becomes more serious. The engine light came on that says to service engine soon, it is still on...from what I have found online sounds like power valve screws are coming out and creating engine damage.

- Chester, NJ, USA

Nov 152015

Stall at stop and idle when engine is hot.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 012011

Nissan will not recognize the recall rqo600/RO606.

- Sun City, CA, USA

Aug 062014

Altima 4-cyl

Service engine soon light appeared doing highway speed. Garage replaced cam shaft sensor. 2 weeks later the light appeared again. Garage replaced crankshaft sensor. Problem resolved but this seems to come up time and time again with this year and model. When light was on there was severe loss of power since the bad sensor was confusing the onboard computer. Dangerous situation demonstrating need for recall.

- Avon, CT, USA

Aug 272014

Altima 4-cyl

I'm an owner of a Nissan Altima 2004 2.5 (brought the car brand new). Today while driving on the highway, the check engine light came on. So I quickly got home and ran the diagnostic tool which returned codes P0035 " crankshaft position senor and P0725 " engine speed sensor malfunction. I found many and similar complaints by Nissan Altima owners with the crankshaft. I called Nissan usa and they offered no assistance. I informed Nissan usa that there were previous recalls on the crank angle senor (item affected: Engine and engine cooling, date announced: 7/7/2006). Their fix was to reprogram the ECM but the issue is with their crankshaft. Per research and online, there are many issues with Nissan crankshaft position sensor which could affect the engine/stall the engine. Its a matter of time, where drivers safety and a persons lives are at risk. If the engine stalls while driving on highway or on any road could cause serious harm or fatal death due to failed crankshaft position sensor and/or camshaft position sensor. Please investigate and get all Nissan vehicles with faulty crankshaft position sensor recall and fix asap before its too late!!!

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jul 182014

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The contact was able to merge onto the side of the road. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnose that the crank shaft was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 104,000.

- Lakeland , FL, USA

Jun 142014

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. After restarting the engine the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Apr 042014

Altima 4-cyl

The car will not crank. The computer is reading a crank shaft positioning sensor, and I have bought aftermarket products that still will not allow the car to crank.

- Shannon, MS, USA

May 092014

Altima 4-cyl

On my way home I was going about 25mph, the car started losing power and started to stall. I pulled over and took about 15 minutes and started it back up and it started fine. I made it to Napa and one of the guys took a look at it and said it was the accelerator pedal because obviously it wasn't moving. So I got that and had my father put that part on and put it into drive and it still did nothing. I park it back in the driveway as I normally would with the little power that it did have, and the transmission just made a loud thump. My father tells me to start it up and I started it up again as I normally would and the transmission starts whining. This just happened out of nowhere, there were no signs of anything about to happen. No lights were on, no weird noises, and the power was doing completely fine.

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Dec 112013

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine suddenly stalled. The vehicle was restarted fifteen minutes later and resumed normally. The failure recurred eleven times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the crank sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Wellston, OH, USA

Oct 152013

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, which was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the ECM would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 06V242000 (engine and engine cooling) and contacted the manufacturer, who stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Sep 192013

Altima 4-cyl

On 9/19/2013, while driving on route 21 highway, I was on my way to rutgers driving in the fast lane when all of a sudden my car engine was full of smoke, my radiator blew up all over the highway and even worse my car just shut off instantly. The guy behind me was very close to hitting my car but luckily he had to slam his brakes very hard. I was so close to the divider thank god I did not slam into it or else I would have been dead on the opposite side of the highway. Another man came out with a fire extinguisher to put down my car. A police officer and other men pushed my car to the emergency lane. Another incident, 9/21 as I picked up my car from a mechanic that replaced my radiator, on route 17 my car was driving at a very slow speed and stalled. I immediately turned it back on and entered a landmark parking lot. I did some research and found out on that there is a recall for the crank angle sensor parts: Engine and engine cooling. My mechanic told me my car engine was unable to cool so a tow truck took my car to meadowlands Nissan dealer in NJ and they refused to perform the "engine and engine cooling" recall claiming that their ECM recall has nothing to do with temperature and drive-ability. I mentioned that on the government site it clearly states "engine and engine cooling" but they stated that Nissan dealers are private dealers and do not care what anybody else says. The man told me they follow whatever they have in their Nissan system, not the government. I am so offended that my life was on the line twice over Nissan's hazardous recalls. Yet, they are refusing to make my car a safe vehicle. I do not want this to happen to anybody else I'm only 21 I"M way too young to die over a defective vehicle engine. My car is still at the dealer and I want them to follow government recalls and make their vehicles safe enough to drive.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jul 132013

Altima 4-cyl

The ignition coils keep blistering and bubbling/melting after replacing new ones. It is never ending.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052013

Altima 4-cyl

On 7/29/2013, my 2004 Altima was losing power, feeling like it was going to stall on a major highway heading towards work. The issue was doing the same on the way home and the check engine light came on. The next day I took car into a local repair shop. The mechanic ran a test and it said I had a misfire on number 4 spark plug. He pulled out the plug and gap was pushed together. All four spark plugs were replaced. The car ran fine until later that night and the same issue was happening again. Took back to local repair shop. He got the same reading, misfire in spark plug 4. he pulled out spark plug and the gap was pushed together. We looked up to see what could be causing this. We found other were having a issue of a screw can come loose from the power valve intake. He told me to take to dealership which I did on 8/4/2013. They did their own test and even scoop the engine and dealer found that there was a screw missing. They found the screw missing had come from the power valve intake in the power valve. Even found part of the plate has broken and entered the engine. I did some research and found there was a recall on such issue. Since I purchase the car in 2011, not sure if the previous owner had the issue taken care of. But since it happen I don't think they did. The recall campaign id number is P5202.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jul 232013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving down the interstate going 60-65 mph, with my girlfriend and my newborn daughter. The check engine light came on, the car shut off and the engine stalled with a river of traffic surrounding around me. After about 10 minutes the car finally started back up & ran fine. A few days later the car became harder to start and the engine shut off on the interstate once again. I got the engine code, checked out and it was P0340 (cam shaft position sensor). Upon further research I noticed that this is a very common nationwide problem. Not only does the engine stall while driving, it completely causes the motor to shut off! the motor in a vehicle shutting off while going down a jammed interstate or going across railroad tracks is extremely unsafe and it is unacceptable to not get recognized. After experiencing this horrible situation, and viewing the countless people who have experienced it as well. I am flabbergasted the cam/crankshaft sensor for the 2002-2005 Altima has yet to be recalled. The chance of the part being deficient is abnormally high. The part is incapable of performing it purpose, because once repaired it continuously has to be replaced. Nissan does state that this is a deficient part and there is a service bulletin on it. But a service bulletin does not do anyone any justice when the sensors have to be replaced once a year!!

- Lexington , VA, USA

Jul 152010

Altima 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start until after several attempts were made. The check engine warning light then illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnosis, who stated that the crank and cam shaft would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was repaired eight different times but the failure persisted. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 06V242000 (engine and engine cooling) but was advised by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Altima 4-cyl Diesel

In Dec 2012, the catalytic converter was damaged and was removed. The check engine light came on and mechanic told me that would happen. Less than 30 days later, butterfly valve and 2 screws were sucked through engine's intake. Dealer told me camera inserted into engine and screws not found but due to butterfly valve, screws and plate missing so diagnosis was sucked in through intake due to massive damage to engine. I purchased the car with zero miles on 2/28/04 and had it serviced (oil change) approx every 3 months at autoway Nissan clearwater, fl. The car ran perfectly, and as you can see, 87,000 for a 9 year old vehicle is exceptional. The car was in perfect shape and running smoothly even after the cat was removed. There was no other event to coincide with my engine blowing up. Dealer never mentioned any recall, wanted $5000 to fix engine only, no converter replacement mentioned. Was told to forget about the car. Dealer offered me $500 and a new car. I'm a single mom with 2 kids in college. Having to use my entire tax return to fix the car as cannot afford a car payment. Not a happy consumer. Was a loyal customer for 9 years. Do I have any recourse" is there a class action suit in the works"

- Pinellas Park, FM, USA

Oct 242012

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact mentoned that the vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 06V242000 (engine and engine cooling) and was taken to the dealer for repair by the previous owner. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 192012

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph and the engine shut off, the brake light came on, although the hand brake was not activated. The car would not steer or the foot brake would not work without a lot of pressure. Once I got stopped and put the car in park it started right up. I have noticed hesitation at times like it was going to shut off. The car has 3/4 tank of gas and has been serviced regularly. This is the third time it has shut off at low speed.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Jun 072011

Altima 6-cyl

First of all I noticed on 06/07/11 that my 2004 Nissan altima3.5 SE passenger floor board has a big rust spot which is about 11 inches by 7 inches, but the rest of the floor board is in pristine condition. Huh. Also the timing tension chain tensioner went bad on 05/01/12, with 86000 miles and had to be repaired which was a very expensive to repair, and saw that this is a common problem on the Altima 3.5 L engine. Hmmmm. And then, the car kept on stalling out going down the road, was told it was the cam shaft sensors, and had to have them replaced, now my service engine light will not go off, but engine is running good now. I bought a new 2012 Altima 3.5 sl back in December 2011, kept the 04 Altima, most of these problems happened five months after buying the 2012 don't think.

- Lovespark, IL, USA