Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 14 of 14)

Jun 202011

Altima 4-cyl

There is a rusted hole on the passenger side floor of the car. The hole is the size of a softball with rusted metal around the area of the hole. Apparently this is common on 2002-2006 Nissan Altima. The car has never been in an accident and has been well maintained.

- Moncton, 00, USA

Apr 152011

Vehicle was brought for routine inspection. 2 holes were discovered in floor panels that prevented it from passing vt inspection. Corrosion was from inside out under both front seats not visible from vehicle interior. Vehicle has been garaged since purchase 6/25/04. Corrosion is excessive for age and mileage even in an area prone to road salt corrosion. Multiple complaints have been filed on model years 2001-2005 yet no recall. The problem is extremely expensive to repair and if not recognized can allow carbon monoxide into passenger compartment.

- Essex Jct, VT, USA

May 082010

Altima 6-cyl

I have bought brand new 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5se in October of 2004. Just yesterday during my oil change I have noticed a hole underneath the car and rusted area in the diameter of a foot or so. Flooring rusted and it was obviously result of not forced damage but defective materials used to make the car flooring. I am finding forums and loads of complaints that right after the warranty is expired car's flooring simply start to rust. I do not know what to do and I am sure dealership will turn me away as the car is not under warranty and they usually do not have body shops. Who can help me as I spent about $33,000 for this car (last 6 years of paying it off.... help!!"!"

- Libertyville, IL, USA

Mar 062010

Took my car in to be inspected (pa inspection). Floor pan on my 2005 Altima is completely rusted through on the passenger side of the vehicle. Needs to have floor pan replaced. This car has very low mileage, is clean and garage kept. Checked the internet, and noticed quite a few complaints about rust on the passenger and drive side. Nothing else is showing rust. How can one part completely rust out and the remaining part of the car has none at all?? apparently there is a defect that is holding water/moisture and causing the rust. The car does not have any mechanical issue - basically like new. However, totally rusted out in one spot.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 222007

Altima 4-cyl

I would like to report a situation I had with my leased 2005 Altima that could be a serious problem for drivers and I think you should look into for a possible call back. Seven (7) of the clips ( part 01553-09321) came off the car while driving, causing the lower engine cover to fall down and hanging by the remaining clips. Not knowing the problem, I was startled and had to quickly pull over to see what the problem was. I had to tape the lower engine cover with duct tape in order to be able to drive the car. The cover is being held on by clips rather than bolts. If bolts or screws were in it, it would not have happened. I have been told that the service department that they replaces a lot of these clips. It seems to me that if you are replacing a lot of clips, they are not doing the job. If lower engine cover falls down, it could cause a major accident if the car is going at a high speed. I think it is incumbent on you to look into this matter, before there is a major accident. I am now very nervous about using the car, because if it happened once, it could happen again. The dealer is staten island Nissan 222 parkinson ave, staten island, New York 10305 (718) 447-3878. I spoke to Nissan and they claim that there was a scrape on the bottom and that it was my fault that it happened. If clips can pop that easy, there is definitely something wrong. It could not happen if they used bolts.

- Staten Island, NY, USA